“Excellent food worth a wait” 5 of 5 bubbles

Vin 909 Winecafe
Ranked #2 of 347 Restaurants in Annapolis
Cuisines: American, Pizza, Wine Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bowie, Maryland, United States
“Excellent food worth a wait”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I recently visited Vin 909 Winecafe in Annapolis for lunch. We arrived promptly at opening time, 12:00, as the restaurant takes no reservations and we had read that there might be a wait. We were glad we arrived when we did as within a few minutes every table was taken, as the available space is somewhat limited. We ordered the Fresh pulled mozarella and the Fresh Guy pizza; both were outstanding. My favorite item, however, was the dessert: dulce de leche gelato. Heavenly! We will definitely go again and probably sit on the porch if we can.

• Visited April 2013

Gilbert, Arizona
“What a GREAT addition to Annapolis”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

This place ROCKS! Great food, Great atmosphere, Excellent wine list and value. They have a changing menu depending upon the season. The tuna tartar ALWAYS is great, however the preparation. If had it 3-4 different ways and it always rocks. Their pizzas are thin, crunchy crust with highest quality toppings and some different and delicious combinations...ever-changing.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Annapolis, Maryland
“It’s All About the Wine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

A year or so ago, after the Wild Orchid moved from its long-time location on the Eastport peninsula, Vin 909 opened up. And Eastport hasn’t been the same since.

Vin 909 has a lot of things going for it. Great food. Great wine. Excellent service. Reasonable prices.

Now all they need is about twice the capacity.

Walk in the front door (on a weekend, claw your way in) and, after getting on the wait list for a table, you’re faced with a bar serving several dozen red and white wines by the glass, ranging from $6 to $12 per glass. The selections change with availability, but there’s always something to suit any palate. Not a wine guy? The six taps feature a range of interesting brews, my current favorite being the Belgian strong pale ale Delirium Tremens.

Once you get seated, you’ll be presented with a menu featuring salads, pizzas, small plates and entrees, with specials using locally or seasonally-available ingredients. The Spring menu ought to be ready soon. I’m a big fan of the pizzas, my favorites being the Popeye and the Angry Pig. Skirt steaks are done well here … I like the Moroccan spice blend they use … and the pulled pork sliders are also very popular.

Service here is just the way I like it, attentive but not hovering. The job description for the hostess much focus on being unflappable, because she’s generally dealing with a bunch of people waiting, some not too patiently, an hour or more for a table. Not so bad in Spring or Autumn, where you can hang outside and enjoy a glass of wine, but not much of an option in the Winter.

I’ve eaten here many times, and I’ll be back many times more. It’s fast becoming an Annapolis landmark, and remains pretty much a hangout for locals. Good for a group, but I’d go elsewhere if you want a cozy, romantic dinner for two.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank John V
Greenbank, Washington
“Outstanding local food and wine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

I had been wanting to try out Vin 909 for quite some time and now that I have I can't believe I waited so long. This place is outstanding. We called ahead to see how busy it was and the hostess recommended we don't arrive too late if we wanted to be seated right away. We arrived around 6:30 pm and the main seating area was nearly full as was the small bar area. We opted to sit on the patio out back which I believe was a great choice. It was well heated and a bit more quiet and intimate than inside. I love the way the wine menu is organized by price point. We ordered a mid-level priced bottle and some olives and almonds to start. For the most part, everything on the menu is great for sharing. We had to ask our waitress a couple of times what some of the items were (they discourage use of smart phones for this - they like the interaction). Everything was fresh and seasonal. We shared the Tuna Tartare and a specialty pizza for our main meal. Everything, food, wine and service, was outstanding. For dessert, I just had to order the homemade butterscotch pudding. All I can say is WOW! It was delicious. My husband had a desert wine (and about half of my pudding as well). We definitely will not wait so long again to return here. I highly recommend this restaurant!

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank kpost100
Baltimore, Maryland
“Now THIS is what I am talking about!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

My girlfriend and I have been wanting to try it out and we did this past Saturday night. We arrived around 8:30 and it was packed but we sat within 10min. Not sure if we got lucky or what but it was quick. If you want to really have fun here make sure to ask to sit where you can view the kitchen. There are only 4-5 seats but it is a lot of fun to watch them make your own food as well as view the entire experience. If you are a fan of any cooking show this is a MUST.

The wine list is nice and very fair priced as is the beer. The food I also found to be well priced. For $50 total if you want you could get wine for $28 and a pizza for $15, which is around the same price you would pay for most chains.

We enjoyed the cheese plate, shrimp and pesto pasta and a pizza. It blows my mind anyone would go to one of the chains in Annapolis or even a 'fancy' establishment when you could get it all here and save a few bucks. The ambiance and service was also top notch.

• Visited March 2013