“Poor Business Practices”

San Antonio, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Poor Business Practices”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Looks like a fun activity, but I'll never know! Mulitiple attempts to contact business during business hours over period of days were futile. Messages left by phone and email went unanswered. Available day listed on website was no longer available by the time a response from SegZone was finally received five days later.

Visited October 2012
4 Thank Waylon1375

Arlington, Virginia
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 276 helpful votes
“A Good (3.5) Tour--Segways are Fun!”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

A relative who went on a different Segway tour with me a couple years ago said, “You can’t help smiling when you are on a Segway”. Yes, they are that fun to ride. And despite a couple of frowns leading up to our SegZone tour, this tour ended up in smiles.

Since my spouse knows how much I enjoy riding Segways, he purchased a couple of Groupons for SegZone for us. The online SegZone calendar was fully booked for weekends in September (not surprisingly), so we decided on a weekday afternoon since we both could take off early that day. (SegZone operates Friday – Monday).

Our first “frown” came when trying to book the tour. The Groupon specified that you call SegZone to book the tour, but when we called, we got a recording saying the phone had been “temporarily disconnected”. We continued trying to call for 2 days to no avail. I then decided to use the website’s “Contact Us” page to send an email requesting a booking. After getting no response after another 2 days, I sent another email using the address given on the website. This email was answered the next day and we had our booking.

We live in the D.C. area and drove 1 hour to Annapolis for our 3pm tour. We arrived a few minutes early and were told by Jesse (the manager) that the previous tour had run late so our tour would start around 3:30 pm. This was our second “frown”. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and assumed this was a “one time” thing, but after having read some of the reviews, it seems that late or cancelled tours are not uncommon for SegZone. Nevertheless, we enjoyed walking around the shops in the area until 3:30 pm.

Once those two “frowns” were over, it was time to ride! Segways are pretty easy to ride, and the staff seemed to provide sufficient training to the “newbies” in our group. Since we had ridden Segways twice before, it was just like getting back on a bike for us—you don’t really forget how to ride them. The group got instruction and free time to practice riding for about 20 minutes. Then Jesse rounded us up and we were off.

We were doing a 1-hour tour, so we did not cover a great deal of ground. But, there’s a lot to see in the area surrounding the Naval Academy and the State Capitol building and Jesse did a good job of showing it to us. He seemed knowledgeable about Annapolis and the buildings we saw (and I don’t think you have to be a history major to do a good tour). He had a great attitude and was really friendly. It was an enjoyable tour and it actually ran a little more than an hour, which is probably why the previous tour ran long as well.

This one-hour tour was fun and worth the Groupon price of $22.00 plus $5.50 tax which you pay at the time of your tour.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank longhorn74
ELKRIDGE
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Last minute cancellation”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Don't make a 5:00 reservation or you might recieve a phone call like we did. They cancelled on us because the segways needed to be charged, they had a rough day and had run out of juice.
This was after having to wait 2 months to book a 2 hour reservation on the weekend. They had another opening in December if we were interested. We were not!

Visited September 2012
3 Thank PAM G
Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“SegZone Tour of Annapolis *** A MUST DO ***”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My sons, ages 14 and 16, and I went on our first Segway Tour yesterday. I'm so glad that I made our reservations. Our trainer and tour leader did an awesome job. All had an amazing time!
IMPORTANT: Make reservations well in advance. They sell out quickly!
PS My sons want me to make plans for us to go again!

Visited August 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Segways are fun, tour not that informative”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

This was my husband and I's first time on a segway and we had to much fun actually riding it. If we had to do it over we would just rent them and go out on our own with a book of the city because unfortunately, a woman in our group couldn't get the hang of it so she held us up a lot. We did the two hour tour and the first hour is tour and the second hour is on your own or continued tour. We choose to go out on our own and we had so much fun. I think the guy who gave us the tour was named Jesse and he had some interesting facts but he was by no means a history major or anything. We arrived early for our tour not knowing what to expect and the girl at the front desk seemed annoyed we were so early but they let us use their bathroom. She also complained about how she drives all the way to Annapolis from Delaware because its her mom's business. I was thinking to myself TMI but otherwise they were professional, accepted my groupon and we had a great day. I only gave it three stars because I am a hard grader, I dont think everything in the world deserves five stars but I would bring my out of town family back here to rent segways in the future.

Visited August 2012