“Excellent food and atmosphere, but pricey”

The Chop House - Annapolis
Reserve with OpenTable
The Chop House - Annapolis is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #52 of 355 Restaurants in Annapolis
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Davidsonville, Maryland
“Excellent food and atmosphere, but pricey”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We have been to the Chop House a few times, most recently this week for a birthday dinner. The Chop House has a great birthday special -- 50% off on your food bill for a party of two (alcohol excluded) -- so we abandoned reservations elsewhere and stopped here on a Tuesday evening. We were warmly greeted, and got in with no reservations -- I suspect none are really needed on most weeknights.

The atmosphere is very elegant and cozy -- very nice upholstery and furnishings you would expect in an upscale restaurant. The staff were all extremely friendly and pleasant. The initial service (drinks, etc) was very fast, but the food took a long time to arrive, even on a night which was not very busy. We have noted this on previous visits here, so don't go if you have a time constraint! We were seated at 6:30, and did not get out until 8:30 (with drinks and desert for a party of 2) -- a very pleasant time in a beautiful place, but we found ourselves wondering what the heck was taking so long for our entrees to arrive.

They now have electronic menus in the form of i-Pad looking devices, which we found very useful since they show pictures of every dish offered. I think that's a great idea, and wish more places did that. I can tell much more easily by looking at something whether or not I will like it than by reading the list of ingredients which most printed menus provide!

The food is excellent, and we have found it to be consistently so -- never disappointed. I had the lobster raviolli which included shrimp and scallops in a rich cream sauce -- absolutely wonderful. My wife had the flank steak, also excellent. They offer a nice selection of steaks, seafood, chicken and pasta, so everyone should be able to find something they like.

The only quibble we might have is with the pricing: entrees range from $25 to $55, and include no sides or salad. You order those separately (mashed potatoes, sauteed mushrooms, vegetable, etc) -- each is plenty big enough for two people to share, and range from $7 to $14 or so each. They have a nice wine list, but no beers on tap, just bottles -- there is a good selection of beers.

We really like this place, but only go there for special occasions due to the price. We highly recommend it.

• Visited March 2013

Severn, Maryland
“Best steak”
Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

One of my favorite restaurants by far. Great birthday celebration! The service was great, the food was perfect and the drinks were good too. If you go on your birthday you get your meal for free!

Annapolis
“"Great atmosphere"”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Went for Valentines Day our first time at the Chop House - At first impression when my husband dropped me off a the front door, we were looking for the valet, we saw no one - then he noticed the blue tent to the left that took care of valet for all restaurants in the complex (only a couple of dollars but I thought they would have their own). Upon entering on the bottom floor, again no one to direct you - walked up a lengthly flight of stairs (in heels) to only realize they had an elevator. When I gave the lady at the front desk our last name, she found the reservation and when she asked the guy to take us to our table, she awkardly said please take Mr & ummm - my husband quickly jumped in and said Mr. & Mrs. and she laughed and said that she thought I was his girlfriend and then my husband flashed his wedding ring saying he had the ring to prove it. It was very uncomfortable and not once did she apoligize for assuming this. Now granted my husband is 12 years older than me, but that was very rude on her part. We were then take to a booth (table 22) which faced the kitchen doors. Now when we made the reservation, we were told that it was completely booked and that the only time that was available was 5pm and we understood that, I guess someone has to sit at that table. Just think that it could be blocked off somehow to avoid the view of swinging doors and noise. Now the restaurant as we found out was NOT full and we ran into friends that had made a reservation that afternoon and got a better table than us. (just saying) No white tableclothes here, hence our table did not get cleaned up as we went to the next course. I have been to many other upper scale steak restaurants and these are the things that they do better than the Chop House and they need to look at it.
The rest of the dinner was fine - My husband ordered the Kobe steak (which for the pricey thing on the menu - expected a hugh piece) but he said it was good. I ordered the filet and went by the waiters advice and the picture on the tablet and ordered med-well because he said that their med-well was still very pink inside. It was overcooked for my taste but still very tender - our waiter was great - the food was delicious - It is pricey - The hostess did put a bad taste in our mouths (so to speak) - we would go back but probably for the happy hour - I have read good things about it without the high end price or expectation.

• Visited February 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great Steak House”
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

I brought a group of 7 for a family dinner on a Saturday night. The atmosphere is nice and not too noisy. The waiter was very knowledgeable about the items on the menu and the wine list. We had the lamb chops and scallops for appetizers. Both were excellent. Dinner was a variety- from the Kobe beef burger, dry aged Sirloin, Porterhouse, And Venison. All prepared to perfection, just the temperature we ordered. Very satisfied with the menu, service and food. I highly recommend it.

Cambridge, Maryland
“Great food and excellence service!!!!”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

My girlfriend and I had dinner on 2-14-13. I called about a month ago and talked to Eric and the female dinning room manager (forgot name). I advised them both that I was going to do a proposal. They made sure I had a private booth which was wonderful and private. We ordered the seafood platter for starters. After I proposed within minutes the staff brought us complimentary champagne. We ordered the cowboy steak and filet. The food was great. We ordered sides which could feed 2-3 people. Would love to have dinner there again. Great food and great service. It was a little pricy but worth every penny. Thank you again for making the night perfect for a special night.

• Visited February 2013