“Pretty good, but not yet great!”

The Chop House - Annapolis
Reserve with OpenTable
The Chop House - Annapolis is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #59 of 357 Restaurants in Annapolis
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Reviewed August 18, 2012

We planned this restaurant as part of a celebratory weekend. And while we genuinely enjoyed our meal at The Chop House, there's still plenty of room for improvement.
Pros: The service was very polished--from the host and hostess to our pleasant and efficient server. We felt like honored guests. All of our requests were met with a smile. The only (slight) negative here is that for some inexplicable reason, we were not offered coffee after the meal. Not a big deal, as we didn't want it, but still... Our server very graciously bagged up all our leftovers which we enjoyed for lunch the next day. The restaurant itself is very stylish and even on Saturday night the noise level was relatively quiet. We got the booth we requested. The menu is fairly typical steak house menu. We were delighted with the dessert--which they provided free of charge--a very nice touch to our celebration.
Cons: Well, it has to be said. A restaurant billing itself as a steakhouse should cook the meat properly the FIRST time. Despite the nifty pictures and a discussion with our server, both entrees (filet mignon) came out overcooked. We could have, and should have, sent them back, and I am sure that such request would have been dealt with professionally. But we did not want to hold up the meal. Our side dishes were a la carte and generous but the house salad was totally forgettable and the creamed spinach and sauteed mushrooms were too salty and, frankly, nothing special. When I go to a restaurant charging the high prices this one does, I want to say Wow! And this food was not wow. In fact, I could have easily replicated the entire meal and done it better myself. As others have noted, this place is very expensive but the food itself just wasn't up to it. I really don't think we will be returning.

Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

I am not a steak fan but the Chop House makes me love steak! The steak was awesome, the sides were good, the service was great, and the place is magical. One of my top all time favorite restaurants. You will never be disappointed at the Chop House.

Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

We came with a party of 10. They seated us within 5 minutes w/o a reservation. We sat in our own secluded room. The service was great, everyone! The food was excellent. Though it can be pricey, you can have a great meal w/o spending a Tom.

Reviewed July 7, 2012

We enjoyed our first dinner for two at the Chop House, but we've had better for what we spent. We liked the server, and a humble request to split a first glass of wine met no resistance, but some of the support staff seemed amateurish. For instance, the initial table setting clearing was haphazard and awkward ("can you hand me that glass?"), and we had to move our silverware over to where we were sitting in the booth. My wife noted the busboys joshing around with each other in full view of patrons. What appeared to be a floor manager of some kind was conspicuously casually dressed. The server was courteous and very well meant, but just a bit more familiar than the level of professionalism I'd expect from a top notch place. Nitpicky for sure, but that kind of thing matters at this price point. Our meal of two appetizers, two entrees, a side, and a dessert, plus five glasses of wine (including a $16 port) went two bills with tip.

The food was quite good overall, including the venison entree and scallops and crab appetizers. The bread and cracker course was delicious and well portioned. But the lobster ravioli sauce was too heavy, albeit tasty. The peanut butter and chocolate dessert "bomb" was unsurprisingly decadent, but you got the impression it had been concocted from highly processed ingredients and served from frozen. These lowlights seemed out of place in such an upscale establishment, and reminiscent of a downmarket chain. The wines by the glass and pairings were very good, although the port selection was a bit sparse.

The ambiance was otherwise a highlight, so worth going for a drink or a low key meal, which is what I'll do next time if there is one. That's hard to do off the main menu with entrees in the $30–$45 range—plus sides a la carte—although there are sandwiches and there's also a happy hour menu. Patrons were not dressed too far down, but I was the only guy wearing a jacket (granted, during a massive heat wave). We had mixed feelings about the electronic tablet menus. I found them modern, useful, and well applied, but my wife pointed out that you normally find menus with pictures at places like Denny's.

The caveat here is that we're not steakhouse aficionados, but have seen our share of top notch places nevertheless. I would say the Chop House is charmingly less pretentious and stuffy than other steakhouses, were it not for the prices. But the prices arise largely from the meats (and of course the a la carte sides), so if you're a connoisseur, it may be expense well allocated. Otherwise, this is not a "foodies'" kind of place.

We came seeking an upscale special occasion experience in a a new-to-us place in a town that's sorely lacking in sophisticated cuisine. We came away pleased, but fully aware that we've had better, and that the Chop House doesn't do much to dispel the pricey mediocrity of Annapolis's restaurant scene. The Chop House also tries hard not to seem like a chain, but doesn't quite succeed. Although, I will say, waterfront location aside, the Chop House beats the Chart House handily.

My true assessment is 3.5 stars. I opted for three stars because it didn't live up to the price point, so it's more about a good place being held to a very high standard than a bad place.

Reviewed June 26, 2012

We went to The Chop House for our anniversary dinner. I mentioned that it was going to be our anniversary in the reservation.

When we arrived, the hostess and the waiter wished us a happy anniversary.

The waiter was quick and the food came out quickly and at the correct temperature. All of the food was outstanding.