“I hate to say this but-”

Laurel Grove Inn on the South River
Ranked #12 of 25 Annapolis B&B and Inns
Milltown, New Jersey
“I hate to say this but-”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Not to scare others or the owner, but just using the other reviews headline. We thought the place was perfect. The rooms were clean, comfortable and spacious. The owner was great. she knew where to go, where to eat and what was open when. She lead us as best as possible around Annapolis with the easiest and quickest routes. The food was better each day and although we were only there for 2 nights we able to fit in everything we wanted to do and still have a place to "go home to" at the end of each night.
In response to the other reviews, yes maybe some of the furniture is old and there may be a room that needs a painting, but are you there for the furniture and looking at the walls. I am not and we were more than pleased with the place and would return if we ever return to Annapolis.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Merced, California
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I have waited a long time and deliberated with myself about writing this review. But ultimately I think it's only fair to other travelers to tell the truth. The owner is so nice and friendly and the setting is gorgeous and the house works well as a B&B, but frankly, it is really, really dirty. I noticed the dirty carpet the moment we walked in, and it never got better. I don't want to go into too much detail, but there was trash behind our toilet that was never cleaned and looked as if it had been there for a while; the track of the sliding glass door downstairs was full of dead bugs, the whole place just needs a really thorough deep cleaning. I am not the prissy type that walks in with kid gloves and takes a swipe at the mantle--but this dirt was impossible to miss. The owner mentioned having a cleaning crew, but I never saw anyone in our three day stay, and they either need to be replaced or she needs to take a closer look and give them some direction. I dreaded being there and would have left if we would not have had to forfeit our payment. I was never so glad to check out of a place in my life!

The breakfast fixings were left out on the counter, which was fine. But the cream cheeses had obviously been sitting too long for too many days--several had just small amounts left that had gone bad and had a film of mold on them. When I found them in the basket on the second day, I threw them away--stunned that they were still being offered.The owner had made a lovely breakfast dish, then left for the day, and the sink was piled high with dirty dishes and pans when we went up to eat breakfast. I don't think my standards are all that high, but I try to keep my house reasonably clean and I expect the same when I travel.

I was hoping maybe we had just caught the place at a bad time, but seeing the review from queequaig tells me that's not the case, and I am actually shocked that more people haven't commented on the situation. I depend on Trip Advisor reviews a lot when I travel, and it's important that they be accurate

The good news is that this is a problem that is easily fixable by a good cleaning crew--and I hope to read glowing reviews in the future.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank CathyCruiser
tmomaryland, Owner at Laurel Grove Inn on the South River, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
First I'm so sorry that this guest felt that they could not leave for fear that they would not get a refund if they ck'd out early. This is a downfall with making reservations on 3rd party sites such as trip advisor , expedia, ect. You pay in full up front yet the hotels/ bnb's don't get paid until they check out. There is not much flexibility with those types of sites for the guest and the hotels.
As to the rest of the review. I have breakfast ready at 8am and leave it secured till the last guest has eaten(usually by 10). I ensure that all is fresh and kept to the local health dept. restaurant regulations, as that I am certified by them. Not required by our industry, but I expect it will be at some point. While guest are eating I tend to other matters of the Inn, so sometimes getting dishes into the dishwasher as each guest is finished may not be immediate.
I have my cleaning staff comes once a week when guest are not around. I do not like to disturb anyone. As guest are here to relax. I personally ck each room before guests are due to arrive. Like any home there are constant repairs to be made. I may have to delay repairs due to guest occupying the room or area. I constantly try to work behind the scenes as a bed and breakfast is in a home. I don't like to have any of my guest feel like they are invading a personal space.
Im truly sorry that their experience was so unsatisfactory and I take note of their perceptions.
St. Petersburg, Russia
Reviewed August 31, 2013

My 3 children and I stayed at Laurel Grove for 10 days this summer, needing a place to stay while we packed up our home nearby in prep for an overseas tour of duty. Having moved many times, I've grown weary of the suite-hotels, one sterile as the next, and a strait-jacket for kids. In my dreams, I imagined the perfect temporary place for us: near water, room for kids to play inside or out, safe and quiet, with comforts of home without the work of home, access to a fridge or kitchen if needed. In short, Laurel Grove nailed it.
We stayed in 2 suites, giving us 3 bedroom, two baths and a living room. We accessed the apt through a side door and could come and go as we needed without having to enter the main hall of the house. It was perfectly clean and tidy, with sparkling bathrooms, fluffy bathrobes and towels. There were 3 Queen beds, with thick pillow tops. Breakfast was ready by 8 and Tiffany was careful to make sure she had what the kids like to eat on hand. Snacks and drinks were avail 24hr/day. TVs and wireless throughout. A large family room with foosball, pool, big screen was nice for the kids. Keurig all day. The best aspect for the kids was a tossup between canoeing off the deep water pier, swimming/floating in the river, and crabbing with strings and pots. Tiffany made sure we had everything we needed and made our stay feel like we were with family.
Our expectations were far exceeded and I'd recommend this place for anyone visiting Wash DC or Annapolis; it's a getaway from crowds and hubbub--which was exactly what we wanted. Large spaces inside and out suit active families, yet the quiet of the river makes it a perfect hideaway for couples looking to drop off the map for a while.
I'd add that the guests we met over our 10 days were nothing short of delightful and interesting. And to Queequaig's point regarding maintenance--not a day went by when Tiffany wasn't painting rails, adding to the garden, or conducting her professional cleaning service. Tiffany's house is also her home where she and her family live--like the rest of us. Considering the house is 9000 sq feet over 3 floors with huge cascading yard, I'd say that my house never looks as good as hers, even when company comes! If you want a place that passes Mary Poppin's white glove test, good luck finding it. I think ole Mary Poppins would be delighted at how much like home a mansion can feel.
Bravo Tiffany. You'll be seeing us again.

Room Tip: We like the ground floor rooms, as we had direct access to the backyard/river without disturbing any...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I struggled with how to approach this review of the Laurel Grove Inn on the South River. I think the bottom line is that I was mislead by all the glowing reviews and hope to spare anyone else from our fate.

The pluses- you've already read those elsewhere: great view, good food, owner with lots of personality . . . those are accurate.

The other part- in a nutshell, the place feels run down and dirty. The inn spaces have not been maintained; they really ought to close down and revamp the whole place- repairs, carpet, paint, decorating . . . Barring that, they need to hire an outside cleaning crew to scrub it top to bottom, inside and out. Thoroughly. And then keep a housekeeping person on the payroll going forward.

If we had known what the place was going to be like, we would have chosen to stay elsewhere. This is the first place we've been where I felt the reviews had not been generally honest, so I hope I can help somebody else avoid the disappointment we experienced when we arrived here.

Room Tip: The River Hill Suite is the best, but it lacks privacy. Above review applies here, too.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank queequaig
tiffany o, Owner at Laurel Grove Inn on the South River, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
I am very distraught that this customer was so unhappy with their stay to write this review. When one is a at place of work 24 hrs a day it is always good to have a second pair of eyes looking and critiquing. The review that this customer is referring to goes back 4 years ago in 2009, a year after we had opened. After that review I had changed the operation of the inn and the staff that maintain it. I personally go behind them when they leave as well as check every room and common area before check in time of 3pm-6pm. When a phone or email is given I always contract the customer and see if there is anything that I can do for them prior to their arrival and see when they may be checking in. Our check out is 11am and check in is 3-6pm We periodically have customers show up when we are not ready to receive them. I never turn them away, but inform them of this turn around time of 4 hrs is needed and apologize. Outside reservation(made not directly from our web site) not all time time give me customer information.
As to the condition of the outside of the Inn. In our area we sustained more than average weather this spring which has hampered our maintenance. With the 3 wooded acres in the woods overlooking the South River , rain and wind is not our friend. At every break in the sunshine we feverishly try to catch up what mother nature has undone.
As far as the décor, it is all in the eye of the beholder. We are not and historic home with period pieces but a home that was built in 1977 with updated and ever changing décor. I've never had someone tell me or write that the décor needed to be changed .
When I look aback at all the reviews given over then years from this tripadvisor site. It looks like I am on the right path to making people happy and comfortable in my Inn, I gladly take the comments of those "second pair of eyes", but also question who's eyes are they .
North Parkersburg, West Virginia
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I'm a tough sale, but my mid-January stay at the Inn was great. A once private dream from the 70's is now a great place for Annapolis area travelers to enjoy. Sure my visit was totally off-season but after I was greeted by the hosts, I headed to old downtown Annapolis on an unseasonably warm Sat. eve. Sunday I took a short drive to the nearest Metro and wandered the streets and museums of DC. Upon returning Sunday evening I was welcomed to a comfy rocker/recliner to watch the Raven's playoff game with my hosts.

My room was spacious, clean and comfortable. It was actually more like a suite with a huge bedroom/sitting area, a vanity room, a bathroom with shower only but I don't think I've ever taken a bath on the road and a living room area with sliding glass doors that opened to a small balcony that overlooks the scenic South River. Don't expect a lot of modern electronics or flamboyant decorating like some newer hipster hotels ... do expect comfy and inviting.

As if the host's aren't busy enough with running the inn, they are also on the go ... involved in several area organizations. But they always attend to their guests first and make them feel at home. I think that is the key to staying at a place like this, one must be comfortable at making themselves at home. I know I did as the Raven's scored, I let out a few hoots and hollers like I was watching at home.

The area is wooded residential. I got the feeling that at one time it might have been an area of vacation type homes for the well to do, but now it is a scenic neighborhood with some very nice, big homes. If one is looking to dine elsewhere or partake in the area nightlife, they will need to make the short and a little confusing drive to downtown Annapolis, but after a trip or two it's not too bad at all.

As an outdoorsman, this location on the South River immediately screamed kayaking! I could envision the warmer months and sliding my boat into the river for the "much closer than driving" paddle to the waterfront restaurants of Annapolis and then returning to enjoy an I.P.A. or two in the nicely landscaped natural area next to the small pier.

A great place to stay if you are looking for a quiet, friendly, relaxing home base in the Annapolis area!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Bentuibi
Danbury, CT
Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

The Laurel Grove is a great place to stay. Tiffany does all you could ask for at her B&B. We had a wonderfull time and are looking forward to our next visit. My wife enjoyed sitting on the patio with a glass of wine watching the boats on the river.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Elkridge, Maryland
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Nice stay, woke up to beautiful view of the South River, delicious buffet breakfast (egg dish, dessert, coffee, juices, toast, fresh fruit salad), variety of snacks, sodas, wine available throughout the day. Nice hostess/innkeepers. Hope to come back again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family