“4th of July - State House Inn”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of State House Inn

State House Inn
Ranked #11 of 25 Annapolis B&B and Inns
Mountain Lakes, New Jersey
“4th of July - State House Inn”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the State House Inn for a long weekend over the 4th of July. We received a very nice rate (last minute booking) and stayed in the third floor St Anne's room. The room was clean, linens were crisp, plenty of towels.

The location is great - park your car and walk the rest of the trip.

This is a small inn and there are only staff around during the day - we did receive a telephone number and were told to call 24/7 if we needed anything (which we did not) I always do my research and knew ahead of time that breakfast was not included. The do provided discounted parking around the corner which was nice.

We also had a great dinner at Piccola Roma. Being guests at the State House Inn, we received a complimentary glass of Proseco and 10% off our bill.

Overall it was an excellent trip

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

What a disappointment. Not enough towels -- had to go to other rooms to get towels and robes -- as there was no staff member present to help. No soap for the bathtub!
The coffee maker in the main room was dirty, with old coffee in it the next morning. Which -- given that they don't have a breakfast -- it really a shame. The tub is a liability due to almost slipping to get in an out of it. The TV is small and not a flat screen.

If I were paying $60 per night? Sure! BUT -- I paid $190!!!

Clearly, the owner is making bank off of this place because of the location and does not care enough to put any money into it.

Stay at the WESTIN --you'll be much happier.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Scotland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2012

Having found this place after doing a search for B&Bs I was most put out to find that breakfast isn't available here nor is it available in the restaurant downstairs. Bit of a con when their website states " Enjoy all of the ammenities of a hotel combined with the charm of a historic inn." Well, excuse me, but hotels and inns do breakfasts. No where on the website did it actually say that breakfast wasn't an option.
The room we had was comfy enough but the bed had the loudest creak ever....enough to actually wake you up if you turned over in your sleep. After being shown our room, we never saw the innkeeper(s) again for the whole of our stay; not even at checkout......just drop your keys in a box as you leave. I has been looking forward to the usual great hospitality that B&Bs arefamous for but it was sadly lacking here. With a little customer care and breakfast being available a place like this could easily rate a 4 but the best I can give it based on my experience is a 1.

Room Tip: Good place to stay if you are on a starvation diet.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2012 via mobile

I love to stay in Inns/B&B's when I travel. And, it's ashame because this place has so much potential. We checked in yesterday afternoon. Young girl was here. Gave us our keys, not the room we reserved. Kind of dirty here. In the Lord Calvert room. Tv doesn't work, holes in the quilt, torn shower curtain, attached restaurant not open, and can't even lock the door to our room.

• Stayed May 2012
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2012

My husband and I spent the night here with our 20 year old grand daughter. The receptionist was welcoming and informative about how to walk around Annapolis (all interesting places were within easy walking distance!). The converted home was tastefully furnished and comfortable, especially the beds, and the luxurious linens. with a cozy parlor offering facilities for tea or coffee preparation, as well as a garden terrace. Breakfast is not served here, but there is a varied choice of nearby establishments to fulfill this need. Our rooms were very reasonably priced, very clean, seemed soundproof, but audible heating/air condition unit. There are more expensive rooms offered, with jacuzzis attached.
This will definitely be my choice for any future visits to Annapolis, and I would recommend it to any age group. Must mention there is no elevator, but at least one room is on the ground flour.

Room Tip: Suggest you phone for description of available rooms, especially as there are a couple which will so...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
new Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2012

Just stayed one night at the State House Inn over a busy holiday weekend. Tried to get into the Maryland house of the Historic Inns but they were full. Can't beat the location right on state circle with quick access to all of the main street shops and restaurants. We stayed in the 3rd floor Chesapeake room, with a King bed, private bath, small glimpse of the water from one window and a nice view of the state house out the other. The room was very large and comfortable, nice big bathroom, closet, etc. I'd definetly stay here again. Not sure how it would be for more then 1-2 days as there's only a small common area. Aside from that we thought it was great.

Room Tip: As long as you can handle a few flights of stairs I'd choose one of the 3rd floor rooms.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Hagerstown Maryland, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2012

My fiance brought me here for my birthday and it was just a delightful experience. Turn down service with chocolates on a very comfortable bed. My only regret was that we couldn't stay longer.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple