“Great unique stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Scotlaur Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #14 of 25 Annapolis B&B and Inns
“Great unique stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Don't listen to the negative reviews, this place is amazing and located above a must-try deli. The room is decorated in a cozy granny style charm and equipped with the basics: soaps. shampoo, alarm clock, air dyer. Location is great! You step out of the front door and you are automatically in the heart of downtown Annapolis, with the water front and Navy academy a very short walk away. Bonus breakfast at Chick and Ruth is included in stay! You can't go wrong there! There was plenty of room for 2 people in single room with a double sized bed.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Pittsburgh PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

I just got back from a weekend stay at the Scotlaur and have to disagree with some of the negative reviews. I stayed in 304 and had no problem with fitting the roll away in the room. Granted it was tight but the room was super clean and cozy. My husband stayed with our son in 302 and had not one complaint. Get to rooms next time and you will not have to manuver around the cot. The staff was super and top of things. The Inn is located right on the middle of Main street close to great shopping, restaurants, and galleries. The food at the Scotlaur lives up to its reputation. Crabcakes were super along with best breakfast I have had in a long time. The breakfast potatoes were yummy. Ted and Beth are hard working owners that were there even on a Sunday morning. The Inn is a quirky and maybe not for everyone but I would come back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Get two rooms if you feel iy is to tight. Its a great value.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank salkk1
Thousand Oaks, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

Great location. Much more affordable than others on the main street. Small rooms with double bed. Clean but could use some updating. Public parking garage is near but an additional 8 bucks a day. Kind of an odd location (right above the restaurant) but unique and cool. The restaurant is great and you must try the rueben and the milk shake, incredible.

Room Tip: stay on the 2nd floor, stairs are step and small.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Justin R
Brick, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

2 adults 1 teenager, we stayed in room 304 the first night with a rollaway. This room is not big enough for this to be added, when we saw the room I asked the kid where am I supposed to put this?? He said "I don't know" The rollaway was at the bathroom door on an angle up to the end of our bed where the sink area was. I spoke to the owner over my unhappiness and i was told his wife was doing me a favor by putting us in this room, and that basically he didn't understand what the problem was, it was a cot for just sleeping...no big deal, and that i should have moved the furniture to make it fit better! REALLY??? I didn't think I'd have to do that in a room offered to sleep 3. We moved to the king size room 301 for the next 3 nights. It was so disappointing I actually called my credit card company to see if i could put in a complaint and be refunded my money, they said I'd have to take it up with the establishment. I knew I wouldn't get anywhere, so we just sucked it up. In this room, the showers sliding door was off the track and would swing away when opening/closing. I was told by the kid who came up that I couldn't expect everything to be perfect. I was expecting better than this for the money we spent. The toilet also had lovely stains on it, and under, the showerhead was nasty. The linens are VERY rough as are the towels. The first day they made up our room we tried to call housekeeping seeing as they only brought us 2 "big" towels. No one ever answered so I sent my son down to the delly to get us more. He also wrote in the mirror steam the first night we stayed in 301. When we showered 3 days later his writing was still visible, which means no one wiped the mirror down when cleaning.The quilt seemed damp and just gross. The mattress for the pullout sofa was so worn out I don't know how my son slept on it. The tv also kept losing its signal every few minutes. I was told this was due to the storm a week prior. My chat with the owner basically went like this...I wanted a refund for the first night, plus the rollaway charges for the next 3 nights seeing as it was not used, it has a queen size sleeper already in the room. He basically told me in a nice way that I was being very picky, that his place is great and he will give me a free night to come back whenever I want. I just said yes because I could see I was not getting anywhere. I will not be using the free night....

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank leogirl1968

Travelers are raving about these Annapolis hotels

Freehold, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

The rooms are really small. Not really clean and in desperate need of repair and updating. The food is ok but greasy. The inside staircase is super hot and steep. The outside stairs area is very smelly, like garbage all day and night. I actually wanted to change to a real hotel but didn't have extra money to spend. If you want location location location, this is it. Otherwise for amenities, not good at all.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank John S
Dover, Delaware
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed here with my wife for a few days and the following is my assessment:
This Inn is in the Heart of Annapolis! You are in walking distance to everything! The location is above Chick and Ruth's Delly, which is where you check in and breakfast is served (space is tight, but the food is yummy). You check in at the Delly counter. By the way, the staff is very friendly and helpful. One of the staff will escort you to your room and explain everything from accessing the room after hours, to the features of the room (extra supplies, storage, etc). Note: There is no elevator, so you must be able to lug your stuff up a couple flights of steep stairs if you are on the third floor. Good exercise though. Parking garage is behind the delly and you get 50% off ($8/day) of the daily fee (get discount sticker from the delly counter).
I stayed in room 303. The rooms have a decor that reminds me of an old Victorian B&B. The room was small, but very clean. We had a queen bed, an armoire with TV, a sink, and a small bathroom with toilet and stand-up shower (excellent water pressure). The air condition unit works well (kept the room super cool even though it was 95+ degrees outside. I loved how soft the carpet was. It felt wonderful under my feet after long days of walking around town. There is no refrigerator in the room, but the delly gave us plenty of ice whenever we wanted and we used the sink filled with ice to have cold drinks in the room. I'll probably get a small cooler for my next trip here to free-up the sink. The only complaints I have is the bed was way too firm for my taste and the TV reception was poor. I did wake up multiple times to turn over because my sides would get uncomfortable. I'd recommend the Inn invest in sleep number beds so guests can dial in their comfort zone. The TV is not a big deal for me, because I wasn't there to watch TV, we were exploring Annapolis! If the bed was more comfortable, I would rate this place at 5 stars even though the room is small and no refrigerator.
One thing you can bet on, this place is going to be the least expensive place to stay in Annapolis with arguably the best customer service in town. I saved $200 per night by staying here, which allowed us to splurge on fine dining and drinks. I'll definitely be back at this Inn in the future.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sconley
Orlando
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012 via mobile

The experience was disappointing to say the least. The only positive thing that I can say about our stay is that it close to USNA. However, the proximity to the Naval Academy did not make up for the lack of hospitality, poor customer service (from motel staff, housekeeping, and restaurant staff), and general lack of cleanliness (room, bathroom, and restaurant). Upon our departure we shared the details of our horrible experience at this establishment with management. They were surprised by our negative experience and assured us that was not the norm. I strongly encourage anyone staying there to share their "experience" with the owners as they do want to know. I feel terrible for the owners as they REALLY need to be featured on Hotels Impossible. That may be the only way to save this motel ~ I know it is listed as a B & B but it is really a low rent motel. It is a shame that a place with such potential (in their location and history) are seemingly unaware of how awful their facility really is for guests. Hopefully this really was an abnormal experience but I wouldn't risk it if I were you.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family