“Amazing staff, great location”

Scotlaur Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #14 of 25 Annapolis B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 24, 2012

I was given a surprise weekend stay at the Scotlaur Inn for my birthday and it couldn't have been more perfect! Parking was a breeze in the garage that's pretty much directly behind the building. From the moment we walked into the Delly to check-in, it was like we were "home". The staff is incredibly friendly, warm, and personable; everyone we met there seemed to genuinely love their job (can't say that about most places). Chuck and Buddy, in particular, were phenomenal!

We stayed on the second floor. Luckily we don't usually schlep our luggage inside with us when we first check-in, so finding the inside staircase very narrow wasn't a big deal -- we just brought our luggage up the outside staircase in the back after we were shown our room (easier to navigate with a big ol' suitcase and it's a straight shot from the parking garage). Unlike some reviewers, we didn't find the noise level bad at all; certainly not bad enough to keep us up at night. It is true that the rooms and bathroom are small, but we found them clean and otherwise comfortable. With everything (shops, etc.)"right there", we were out and about far more than we were in our room anyway.

The food at the Delly was tasty (I love "diner" food) and they gave us huge portions. I especially liked the Delly potatoes - heavenly! The Delly was often quite warm (but not uncomfortably so) and nearly always packed, but because we were staying at the Inn, we were seated quickly. Service was fast and friendly, we never felt rushed despite how busy the place was. We were in the Delly in time for the pledge on our last morning; it was a surprisingly moving experience.

I would stay there again in a heartbeat and definitely recommend it to anyone who appreciates a "homey" atmosphere.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SJM_Ashland

Reviewed February 13, 2012

I recently spend an impromptu evening here during a snowstorm. We checked in late in the Delly and everyone was so sweet and friendly. One of the servers walked us to our room (after accidently taking us into a room where another couple was sleeping. Very awkward). She explained the inn thoroughly and told us numerous times to Dial 0 if we needed anything.

We were so impressed until we laid down. The bed was like sleeping on a piece of ply wood with a sheet over it. The pillows felt like they were 25 years old and hard as rocks. We did not sleep at all because we could not get comfortable. Then, at 6am!!! the door to the Delly began opening and SLAMMING shut which was heard each and every time. We left at 8am and was greeted by more very friendly staff.

Needless to say, we spent the entire next day asleep on the couch trying to catch up on our sleepless night. Worth spending a little more money to stay in a place that you can sleep!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Autumne A
Reviewed January 8, 2012

The good: the guy who greeted us at the beginning of our stay (Chuck) was very friendly and made sure he did everything that he could to make us feel welcome. The food at Chick and Ruth's was very good, as it always is, and the room was clean and nicely decorated.

The bad: the Inn is right next to a bar that hosts live music shows. You will have a hard time going to sleep (my wife and I weren't able to get to sleep until after 12:30am both nights, and even then only after we bought earplugs.). The pillows may as well be made from granite and the bed seemed determined to upstage the pillows in their fight to see who is more uncomfortable. I had a sore neck and back after waking up both mornings, and I'm less than 30 years old. The service in the delly (Chick and Ruth's) was unimpressive. We had to wait a long time for our server to take our order both times that we ate there.

Overall, I was very disappointed with my stay at the Scotlaur Inn. The next time that I am in Annapolis, I will be staying elsewhere. I would not recommend staying here, even if it is affordable.

Room Tip: Don't choose Rm. 302. It backs up to an alley that can be quite noisy.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Matt8Matt
Reviewed December 11, 2011

Clean rooms and Inn, very nice people work here, convenient location. Bkfst included downstairs at Chick ^ Ruths, and our waitress was quick and sweet as pie. Breakfast was on the table in 6 minutes from the time I ordered and all was good. You park in the big parking garage behind the inn. This was painless as was check in and out. You check in at Chick ^Ruths restaraunt counter. Furnishings and bed linens are good quality and in good condition. I will stay here again. If you are are staying with kids I would ask for a bigger room. OUr room was one of the smallest and just fine for a couple.
Just an FYI, there is no bar, lobby, valet, gameroom, fitness room or pool and they joke about that in the information book, So dont expect the extras as the Lowes, Westin or Sheratons. This place is an INN and B&B

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2011

Centrally located in downtown Annapolis, the Scoutlaur Inn is a nice, family-run B&B located above the family-owned restaurant, Chick & Ruth's Delly. The rooms are clean and comfortable and breakfast is included at Chick & Ruth’s downstairs (make sure to get there early for the Pledge of Allegiance).

Location is near the Naval Academy and a short drive to Washington DC, Baltimore and Ocean City.

Parking is available in the city-owned garage near the rear entrance.

I will definitely stay again the next time I visit Annapolis.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2011

We arrived at the Inn on a late Friday night in September. I received a confirmation letter in the mail with instructions about how to get in if you arrive late. Well the deli was still opened when we got there and good thing because the back door code was no longer in use.
We were on the second floor with a double bed and private bathroom in room 203. The room was small, but enough space for two people. Now the bathroom was tiny, but we did not spend much time in our room. The sink to the bathroom was located in our room vs. the bathroom. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom door was a problem, it was an issue to open and close. If you closed it all the way, then you would have to slam it opened.
It was actually quiet on the weekend we went. They were sold out on Friday and Saturday, but we were able to sleep in and not have many issues (until the last night). We went down to the Chick & Ruth’s for breakfast and it was crowded, but they did get us seated before anyone else because we were staying upstairs. The deli is very entertaining. The owner was running around and helping out and making sure everyone was happy. The breakfast that comes with it is like 6 choices (I think). It was very basic, so on Sunday we tried something different off the menu (crab’s Benedict which was fantastic).
On our last morning there we had a fire alarm go off around 4:00 am; I think there was a total of three rooms being occupied. We had to call the owner to have it turned off, but the scary part is that no fire department or police showed up. The owner never apologized to us and kind of tried to plan one of us.
For the price you could not be any closer to the action, we walked all through Old town and other to the Academy. It is a no thrills place, cleaned, comfortable and walking distance to the waterfront. If you are looking for the typical B&B, I would suggest looking elsewhere. I would recommend this place and if I have another wedding in Annapolis I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ScubaCF
Reviewed September 12, 2011

First time to Annapolis and we we used a B&B.com gift card. This is not your typical B&B but that is clearly pointed out on their website. The deli is an experience. We enjoyed reading the history of the family and loved the magic tricks. We walked everywhere and explored a lot of Annapolis with out having to worry about moving our car. It was hot that weekend but our very small BR was like an icebox. This is an excellent value.

Room Tip: You must be able to climb stairs.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple