“A really good tour”

Capital City Colonials
Ranked #13 of 31 Tours in Annapolis
Type: City Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Food tasting and history await you. Our tours blends the best of past and present. Try our Historic District 101 Tour or the Annapolis Food & History tour. A colonial-clad guide leads you through the history of Annapolis while introducing you to 21st century culinary delights - a seamless blend of time and tastes. While walking this compact city, you eat where the founding fathers ate, and eat where the founding fathers wish they could have eaten. Enough food for lunch and history enough for continuing education credits.
Reviewed August 7, 2014

I went on the Annapolis Food Tour with Nora as the tour guide and I have to say that it was a fantastic mix of history, food, and a bit of contemporary Annapolis culture. I dig history, so I was surprised at how much I learned on this tour that I was not even remotely aware of (for example, Boston wasn't the only city that had themselves a Tea Party preceding the Revolutionary War).

The food selections were fantastic. Off the top of my head, I know I ate: a flatbread with pear and honey, an oyster shooter, pumpkin ravioli, a catfish taco, cream of crab that had a lump meat crab ball, and locally made ice cream. I feel like I am forgetting something else somewhere in there, but it was a sizable amount of really, really, good food.

Aside from the food itself, the walking tour and the knowledge Nora shared also stood out. Nora imparted stories of Founding Fathers on benders, the rivalry between the Naval Academy and St. John's College, brothels converted into Inns, and ghosts. You got a little bit of everything and Nora was engaging and entertaining the entire time.

The amount of walking necessary on this tour might seem a bit daunting, but with all the food you eat and the various cool sites to see (and the corresponding stories you'll hear), you're going to be glad you did. Also, the stops are frequent, so even if you're not in the best shape of your life, you will get regular breaks.

Overall, this was a great way to spend an afternoon and I would recommend this food tour.

1  Thank Sam K
in 7 reviews
"history"
in 18 reviews

Reviewed August 3, 2014

I went on the Annapolis food tour a few months ago and it was an awesome experience. Although I grew up in Maryland-- and have spent a decent amount of time in the capital-- I saw the town in a completely new light. I'm not a huge history buff, but the educational elements were well-paced and interesting. Our tour guide, Nora, was knowledgeable, entertaining and professional.

As you might guess, the highlight of the tour was the food. The company pulls together a nice, representative sampling of what Annapolis has to offer. The cuisine was as delicious as it was diverse. Ending with a slice of cake at Red Red Wine Bar was a nice touch.

Aside from the food itself, I couldn't get over the experience of walking into a restaurant, sitting down and tasting a specialty dish within the span of five minutes (max). The restaurants and servers were always ready for our group. A similar "restaurant-hop" might take all day depending on reservations and crowds. I can't recommend this tour highly enough.

Reviewed July 10, 2014

I have to admit, my friend Nora (the best guide out there!!) was the tour guide for this food tour, and she had been bugging me for months to come on one of her Baltimore or Annapolis food tours. I finally took her advice and am so sorry I hadn't listened to her sooner! I can't wait to take a Baltimore food tour as well, but first, more about the Annapolis tour I did go on! We were told to arrive hungry, which I took to heart, and turned out to be the truth. By our 4th stop, I couldn't finish the meal provided and we still had a dessert stop! We had a nice sample of food at each location we stopped at, with the food arriving pretty much as soon as we got to each place. All of the food was delicious, our group of 10 was so impressed with each plate. Water was provided at each location, and you could purchase your own extra drink (alcoholic or otherwise) if you chose, but that wasn't included in the overall tour. Bathrooms stops and sitting breaks were often, since we had 5 restaurants breaking up the walking tour. And hearing the history of Annapolis was fascinating! I have grown up in MD and been to Annapolis many times, but learned some fun things that you wouldn't expect to read in a book- the history of a church and then finding out it's been turned into condo's to keep from being torn down. Or a few ghost stories in some of the local Inns (that used to be brothels, scandalous!). Overall, I felt like my money was well spent (I didn't eat a true lunch or dinner that day; the food from 1-4:30pm was more than enough) and we got an excellent tour around Annapolis! Also, if you're worried about food allergies, they'll create a whole separate menu for you, if necessary, based on your allergies. Vegetarian, lactose free, gluten free... they'll work with you so that you don't miss out on any of the stops!

Reviewed June 30, 2014

My fiancé Gary and I took the Annapolis food tour on Saturday 6/28/14. Our tour guide Nora was excellent...she made the tour interesting with her knowledge of the area and her sense of humor. Now, on to the food...each restaurant had something great to offer...flat bread pizza, pumpkin ravioli, oyster shooters (extra yummy!), potatoe crab soup, catfish tacos and we ended with ice cream....everything was delicious! You will not want anything else to eat when you are finished...very much worth the price! All around a great day! I would highly recommend this food tour.