“Great hotel overall, free internet was slow”

Holiday Inn Express Aberdeen - Chesapeake House
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Aberdeen
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great hotel overall, free internet was slow”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

This Holiday Inn was a really nice one. I was travelling and had to adhere to per diem rates. The room was clean, fairly quiet, and pretty comfortable. It had a microwave and fridge too, but I didn't use them. The hotel has several good bars and restaurants within walking distance, so that was a plus. A baseball team of 8-12 year old boys arrived on my floor, and they were quite loud until around 10 pm, but I was awake and didn't really care. Breakfast was typical: biscuits and gravy, eggs, bacon, yogurt. Nothing special there, but nothing horrifying either.

The only really bad thing about the hotel: The free Wifi was so painfully slow. It was as if they were sharing a dial-up connection between everyone in the hotel. Other than this one flaw, I will stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank kukrusher

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Wellsville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

We spent 3 days here. The hotel is 5 minutes from the Cal Ripken Stadium. They hotel has a very nice breakfast. We were able to get up have a nice breakfast and spend the day playing baseball. All the kids loved the pool. The pool is where we spent our evenings.There is a lot of good restaurants in walking distance. The staff at this hotel was class act. Everyone was very nice. If you are going to a Cal Ripken Tournament this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: I stayed on the top floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
barto, pa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

Check in was efficient. The room was clean. Standard two double beds. Would rather have queens. The beds were comfortable, but the comforter way too thin. We did not use the pool, but others said it was nice. No Jacuzzi which was a bummer.
I was worried about the breakfast, but was pleasantly surprised. Plenty to choose from. Hot and cold items and some really yummy hot cinnamon buns. For those who complain about the breakfast, I am not sure what else you could ask for.
For all the kids that were in the hotel, we were not bothered by noise.
My dissatisfaction would come when I asked for a late check out. My husband was ill and could not really leave the room. I asked for a late check out and was told I would be charged an additional fee. I asked for 2:00 rather than 12:00 and was told we would have to leave by 1:00. The hotel was packed and I see not reason why they could not have cleaned our room last and let him stay until 2:00. I was told they had 50 people checking in on a Sunday. Yeah right. At 1:00 my husband sat in the lobby (terribly ill) to wait for me to come back and stated lots of people didn't even check out until after 1:00 anyway. Being a priority rewards member I would think they could have been a bit more flexible and understanding with the situation we were in.
Anyway, I would still recommend this hotel, but there are a few other choices in the area. I would actually check the reviews on them before booking here again just because I felt they could have been a little more flexible.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

Older hotel that has been renovated. Had they spent a tad more money they could have gotten the result they probably expected. The bigger issue is they still allow smoking in some rooms and our whole floor smelled like smoke. Our room did not have a noticeable smell but hallways did. Sink drain stopper was stuck down, the light switch on the bathroom would work intermittently. Pool is large, but poorly lit. Staff was very helpful and friendly. I used my Holiday inn Express app to find it based on rate, but the clerk said he couldn't offer that rate, I had to book online. 15sec later I did that and had the lower rate. Seems like a corporate issue and not this locations issue.

• Stayed March 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Aberdeen - Chesapeake House, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Hoojs12840,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our staff.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the smell of smoke in the hallway, the drain stopper and the pool lighting. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Long Island, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stopped into this hotel on our way from NY to Florida, unexpectedly. One of our children got sick in the car and we pulled off at the nearest exit on I-95 and this is the hotel we found. Great place. It was midnight and the front desk clerk was happy to check us in without a reservation and also was very understanding of our circumstances, and did whatever he could to help us out. I was thankful for their laundry facility as I had a lot of things that needed washing with a sick 5 year old. Our nights sleep was quiet, and much needed. The room was spacious and clean. We also appreciated the included breakfast in the morning. Good experience overall.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Huntsville, AL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

Traveled here for a week long meeting at Aberdeen Proving Ground. Hotel had been renovated and was decent but nothing exceptional.

Quietness: Very good. Minimal noise, didn't hear toilets flushing in the middle of the night.

Internet connectivity: Awful. Download speeds never exceeded 512k during the week. Can't stream netflix or download videos. Was not pleased.

Food: The typical, standard offering. Eggs, protein, pancake machine (those freak me out for some reason. Press a button and get a pancake. Awkward.) No extra fruit other than apples and often were out of peanut butter in the morning. No evening meal for business travelers either. In short, met the bare minimum standard.

Staff: Excellent. Always helpful and kind. Had welcome bags with popcorn and chips for Priority members at check-in.

Bed: Reasonably firm. Not awesome like the Hampton Inn beds but wasn't bad. Slept decently that week.

Bathroom: Smelled a bit funny. Hot water wasn't predictable - would change temps on you randomly. Not something normal in most hotels these days.

Room: Spacious. Had a chair and ottoman and a desk.

Temperature control: Typical AC blower with dials. Hard to keep the temperature steady but if you keep it cool, sleep in socks and something warm.. will be fine.

Location: Excellent. Parking lot is shared with the Greene Turtle Sports Bar. Has a gluten free menu, good beer offering and standard fare food. Non-smoking environment with lots of TVs. Also in walking distance to the Olive Tree restaurant. Time to CECOM was around 20 minutes with minimal traffic other than at the gate.

One other thing to note - hotel was mixed smoking and non-smoking rooms. I didn't have an issue with it but it's something to be aware of.

In short, I would stay here again if I needed to but wouldn't search it out.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Aberdeen - Chesapeake House, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Adrenna,

Thank you for sharing your honest feedback. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. We value your feedback as they enable us to further improve the quality and services we offer and to surpass the very high standards our guests expect.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and providing us a candid feedback.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

Stayed here for a 5k race we were participating in a few miles away. Was a nice alternative to a few of the other hotels in the area and they gave us a late checkout when asked - which was very helpful. Room was clean - overall a very good experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jrzgrl5
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberdeen
Hilton Garden Inn Aberdeen
Red Roof Inn - Aberdeen
Red Roof Inn - Aberdeen
#5 of 16 in Aberdeen
Courtyard Aberdeen at Ripken Stadium
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bel Air East at I-95 Riverside (Aberdeen)

Been to Holiday Inn Express Aberdeen - Chesapeake House? Share your experiences!