“Property with cheap management” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Residence Inn Aberdeen at Ripken Stadium

Residence Inn Aberdeen at Ripken Stadium
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Aberdeen
McKinney, Texas
“Property with cheap management”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

First impression, loud ticking noise in the room from the air conditioner. No screws held the service door shut, so I investigated the loud ticking noise. One of the coil tubes was vibrating against the metal frame of the air conditioner. I fixed it by wedging a penny underneath the coil. The AC also had a dirty air filter. A simple fix that could have been implemented by a novice maintenance crew. This property also limits the AC thermostat to a minimum temp of 69F, but it fells more like 73 or so. (Possible thermostat trickery likely)

I stay at many Residence Inn's and it is easy to gauge the management by the cleanliness of the room and the quality of the meals. I checked into this property for a 2 week stay and there is a popcorn bowl on the counter without the free bag of microwave popcorn typical of most RI properties, no check in gift bag for platinum members, dust at eye level on top of refrigerator, dried glass condensation rings on coffee table, zipper side out on stained sofa cushions, yellow pages as coffee table books vs. area visitors guides, sagging mattress, trash cans without liners, and bathroom artwork spotted with soap residue.

The breakfast formula is tray of eggs, one meat, one starch, assorted breads and cereals. Overall a small breakfast selection compared to most RI properties, but the kicker is they slip a wristband under the door every morning like there is a huge contingent of infiltrators trying to sneak into the breakfast line. I wore my breakfast bracelet the first day until I realized nobody checks the ridiculous bracelets. I felt like an idiot wearing that bracelet when I realized no one else had one on.

Dinner was pretty sub par with one meat, pasta, some bag salad, and never a dessert. They only serve alcohol with the meal on Wednesdays and provide maybe two cases of beer for the whole hotel to split. I missed the hotels that have the draft beer on tap. The Aberdeen RI brings out the beer one six pack every fifteen minutes at a time for a dining room with 30+ people, so all of the guests eyeball the ice box and instantly take all of the beer. I asked the dining room attendant about the sparse beer and she said Crestline had limited the amount of beer for guests to a set amount per meal regardless of occupancy rates.

It is sad when you are a platinum level traveller and you recognize a property that is on the slow road of decline due to lack of maintenance, housekeeping, and trivial guest amenities, but the hotel management doesn't realize they are cutting back too much at the detriment to their own business.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
AberdeenManager, Manager at Residence Inn Aberdeen at Ripken Stadium, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thank you Backspinnn for your review. We strive to provide exceptional guest service and outstanding product. Unfortunately we failed to deliver these during your stay. As a management team we have reviewed your complaints and are working to correct them. Once again thank you for your review and we hope that you will give us another chance the next time you are in Aberdeen.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Laurel, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

My family and I stayed at this hotel while we were visiting family for 4 nights. Let me start by saying that when I made the reservation there wasn't any information about the nights I selected being the same week as a the baseball tournament that the hotel sponsors. The hotel was swarming with children's baseball teams. The pool was overcrowded. The baseball games started at 8 am and went until after 10 a night so you could here the announcer first thing in the morning. When I checked in and arrived at my room I noticed the smell of dog right away. I have known a few Marriott's to allow animals but they are typically restricted to the first floor and only particular rooms. As I walked around the room I noticed the arm chair had been chewed on and the dresser (picture attached) had been chewed up pretty badly. Now if I were staying in a Super 8 this would be expected but not the Marriott, not for 129.00 to 199.00 per night. I advised the front desk of the issue as I left the hotel to make a quick run. When I came back I was surprised to find that the staff had moved me to another room. I grabbed all my bags and made my way to the second room. As I walked around the room I was surprised to find a large hole in the ceiling over the bathroom sink. At this point I was tired and needed to get to an engagement so I didn't bother calling the front desk. After looking around the room a little more I noticed that there was chipping paint on the bedroom wall from where the water had ran down. As a mother traveling with two small children the last thing I wanted to see in my hotel room is chipped paint. I ran into the maintenance supervisor in the hall and advised him of the issue. He was very nice and he told me that the room had a leaky ceiling and that the front desk was probably unaware that the issue was not resolved. The next morning I called the front desk and advised them that we needed to move to another room if we were going to stay the additional three nights. The third room wasn't any better. As soon as I walked in I heard the loudly humming refrigerator and noticed the sofa pillows that were chewed up. I told myself I would make it work. As I got ready to leave the third room I checked to make sure my key work and low and behold the lock on the hotel room didn't work. I didn't even need a key to get in. Unbelievable. I went down to the front desk to get help. They sent the maintenance supervisor to fix the door. I do want to say that the staff was very helpful and polite. I did receive a credit for the first night. The hotel itself has a lot of problems. This is the worst Marriott experience I ever had. I would not stay here again. I am very particular about where my children and I sleep. That is why I chose the Marriott but it seems like I may have had better luck at a budget hotel.

Room Tip: 661, 663 and 552 not good rooms
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Travelingfamilia
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

My wife and dog found refuge here from the electrical outage in the Washington, D.C. metro area. This was the closest available room we could find in a place that accepted pets. From the moment we walked in until we left, we (including the dog) were welcomed. There is a pet charge of $75 as the room is deep cleaned after check out, but we found this very reasonable compared with other pet-friendly hotels. The free breakfast buffet was very generous and the room spotless. All of the help, from the front desk to the housekeepers were delightful. If you're headed down 95 and need a place to crash, I would stop here.

Oh, by the way, the hotel (which is connected to a Marriott Courtyard) is constructed to simulate Camden Yards, home of the Baltimore Orioles. Not surprising since across the road is Cal Ripken stadium, a minor-league baseball park! Play ball!

Room Tip: Get a room facing Cal Ripken baseball park.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
, Manager at Residence Inn Aberdeen at Ripken Stadium, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Thank you for taking a minute to share your feedback following your visit with us this past week. It is always great to hear directly from our guests. We strive to provide exceptional guest service to all our guests and their pets. Again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Residence Inn by Marriott in Aberdeen!
EAST WINDSOR
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012

Our family of 4 styed for 2 nights during a baseball tournament. Pullout bed was not the best but as good as can be expected. Housekeeping did a nice job on the room while we attended games. Pool was small, but the kids enjoyed it. Breakfast was not the best, we went out for breakfast. Close to many good places to eat with a large group.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2011

Our family was there for a weekend baseball tournament. The hotel is beautiful & clean & we would stay again, but the pool is a "petri dish of germs" given that so many kids were in the pool after 95+ temperatures. The pool looked like a soapy bathtub and was not refreshing. Six of our team were sick with fever by Sunday and my husband had a rip-roaring pink eye infection by Sunday evening after only hugging my grandson around his head & pressing his head to him. A pool maintainence person should be on hand for any weekend there is a tournament. The pool is too small to accommodate all those kids. The pool at the Marriott in Hunt Valley is triple the size with probably 1/2 the visitors.

Room Tip: Rooms were clean and beautiful, staff was accommdating
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank likesean
Springfield, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2011

Something of a mixed bag - great location if there's a baseball game on, not so special otherwise. One of the best Residence Inns I've been to for breakfast and evening food, but one of the worst fitness centers (3 treadmills, a bike, a broken stairmaster, and a broken weight machine.) For a new RI, I expect better. If you are military, though, you always have to on-post fitness center as a backup.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Military_Traveler11
Aberdeen, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2010

A wonderfull hotel with a wonderful staff and great location. I travel alot and have stayed in alot of different hotels in my states and different countries, and this by far is the best hotel stay i ever had.I give special thanks to caroline at the front desk and joan in the kitchen and the other staff member and manager just excellent service.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank dclloyd04
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberdeen
Hilton Garden Inn Aberdeen
Courtyard Aberdeen at Ripken Stadium
Home2 Suites by Hilton Baltimore Aberdeen
Holiday Inn Express Aberdeen - Chesapeake House
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#8 of 17 in Aberdeen
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bel Air East at I-95 Riverside (Aberdeen)

Been to Residence Inn Aberdeen at Ripken Stadium? Share your experiences!