“Beat by the weather...then the Bed”

Hilton Garden Inn Aberdeen
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Fantastic dinner! The food was outstanding and I would go back just for dinner. I had been at my first appointment at 6:45 AM and the weather was an off and on deluge, not to mention the more than enough company traffic I had to negotiate around the Baltimore beltway. By the time I was done my work day and knew the location to look for a hotel, I was passed beat up and exhausted. I found 5 hotels in my location...2 of them I would've rather slept on the street, 1 completely booked and 1 I knew to be so so and the Hilton I knew to be great I found a great rate on line, pulled in and was told that a room would be $50+ what I found online and they wouldn't honor the price. I was told to go back to my computer and book it there and then they would honor the price...my negotiations and disbelief did not sway them. Off I went to my car to do so. One of the staff came out and told me to see "...." and that my price would be honored without the online hassle. Bless you my child (no name) When I checked in, the clerk gave me all of the dinner, breakfast, pool and fitness room times as well as showed me a mechanism that was at my disposal to adjust the temper of my mattress to my comfort of soft or firm. I was beat and hungry and bleary...I ordered dinner. OUTSTANDING!!! BRAVO!!! MORE!!! Then I was ready to hit the bunk, about 11:00 PM...no adjustment mechanism and, I turned back my sheets to crawl in only to find "What the Hell"? a various green/black colored stain about the size of a football right where my shoulders almost landed! Pulling apart all of the bed clothing, I found the stain on the inside of the comforter/bedspread as well as on the mattress cover. I for the life of me cannot figure out how housekeeping could've not seen this let alone, continue to make the bed. Front desk brought up new sheets and I helped change my bed. I did not get any apologies or compensation... No "sleep number" bed mechanism as promised

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Suzzanne W
Andy F, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Hello Suzzanne W
I'd like to apologize for your less than perfect stay, no excuse from me, we should have caught the bedding issue before you - exactly as you describe.
As for the mattress, the dials are there, and on both sides of the mattress as demonstrated upon check in. Please alert me as to your next arrival and I will be sure to have an in room demonstration provided.
I appreciate your comments and will certainly share them with the staff, including the "outstanding" adjective used to describe dinner at the Garden Grille.
We appreciate your patronage; thanks again.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Aberdeen

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Pleasantly surprised by this hotel. Here for a baseball tournament, close to Cal Ripken, clean, helpful staff, great breakfast! Definately would go back again, worth it! The only drawback is there is no OUTDOOR pool. Other than that, I'd recommend

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
Andy F, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Hi Lynn H;
Glad you enjoyed your recent stay with us!
It sounds like you wanted to sit in/by the pool outside; sorry we could not provide that. Most of our guests appreciate the fact that we have an indoor pool and whirlpool although there are lounge chairs outside; I agree, it not the same.
Happy to hear you enjoyed your time with us otherwise and hope you will be back-
Thanks, Andy

Reviewed June 2, 2013

The hotel staff is Great and inviting. The eating area clean and welcoming. Close to many other restraunts and shopping places. Easy on and off I-95 in either direction. Great place to stay for one night or many.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
Andy F, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Hello David S
Thank you for taking a moment to share some observations on the hotel. Yes, of course, one night is fine; we love multi night stays as well!
Not only are we a great stopping point for on/off I-95, the hotel offers an indoor pool and whirlpool so that you can even relax! Hope you did!!!

Reviewed May 28, 2013

This hotel has recently been renovated and the lobby, dining area and bar are all bright and welcoming. The rooms are spacious with a refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker and safe and adjustable mattress included in the room rate. The staff in the breakfast room and the front desk were friendly, helpful and did everything possible to make our three night stay enjoyable.

This hotel would have rated 5 Stars had it not been for very one poor housekeeper who broke a large magnifying mirror and did not report it, violated hotel rules by trying to enter our locked door at 8am and then again when we had a do not disturb sign on it , left a dirty item on my cosmetics and threw out bottled water which was on a nite stand. Courtney, the head of housekeeping and the front desk staff were very understanding and helpful in addressing these deficiencies, but they definitely impacted our impression of this hotel.

I am on the fence about staying here again.

Room Tip: We like the king bed rooms on a higher floor
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Andy F, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Hello rosadekor
I'm sorry and apologize for this incident. Our training procedures have been reviewed again with the employee's. If you would like to discuss this incident further, please call me at 410.272.1777.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

This hotel is very nice, very clean and modern. It is very cloe to Ripken Stadium as well. Friendly staff is eager to help. Rooms are comforable and clean although I thought the beds were extremely uncomfortable. There was a dial to adjust the firmness so it is possible that I was using it wrong. I didnt know about this feature until a friend told me she had tried it in her room. The lobby is inviting and comfortable with complimentary cookies, coffee, tea and lemonade. A very small convenience store/area had minimal food and sundries but there is a Walgreens practically across the street and Target, Shoprite and Rite Aid super close. I was suprised, however, that they did not offer complentary breakfast. I will say that the breakfast service is severely understaffed, our poor server was running to pick up orders, bus tables, in addition to being the cashier. The juice area needed to be replenished and the self service coffee area was out of milk and stirers and silverware was at a premium Still, our server was courteous and friendly. The food was acceptable but the young men cooking in the back were not wearing gloves, although the box of gloves was on the counter next to them, they were using their hands to put the garnishes on the plates. I saw one even use his bare hand to wipe a plate before he put the food on it! Gross!

Room Tip: There's not much of a view from the rooms and i believe they are all decorated the same.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Andy F, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Hi carlajeanne60
Thank you for taking a minute to write a review for us. It was nice to see that our staff and Pavilion area were friendly and inviting.
I'm concerned and would like to investigate your observations a bit more. Is it possible for you to let me know the date of your breakfast experience so I can fully investigate, and retrain where it's needed? I would really appreciate that-thank you. Andy 410.272.1777

Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed at many hotels over the years and this one is one of the best. The room was perfect the beds were extremely comfortable. But what puts this hotel above the rest was its friendly staff from start to finish. The young man at the desk was extremely pleasent. And the restaurant staff was outstanding. Bartender Monet was very pleasant and made us feel right at home. Chef Joe went out of his way to make my stay wonderful not many chefs come out to associate with guests and personally deliver room service. Dinner was a surprise the food was actually made fresh. Breakfast was very good also and once again chef joe was there and brought my food out to my table for me. When leaving I was wished safe travels by Loray. By far the best staff I've encountered in a hotel yet. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: April 2013
Andy F, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Hi hjeremy1972
Did we make an everlasting impression on you? We earn loyal and repeat guests once we can connect with them. You mentioned so many of the team by name that I hope we succeeded in that mission with you!
Safe travels until next time-

Reviewed May 24, 2013

The Staff was very friendly and very accomodating. They did everything to ensure we enjoyed our visit. Hotel style was updated, clean and appeared upscale, a pleasant experience. The dial comfort beds were fantastic.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Hello Richard K
We certainly try hard to please all that decide to stay with us! Others love those Garden Sleep System beds and have extended their stays just to have another night in one. Its really nice that you told the world! Thanks again for choosing to stay with us.
Andy

Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberdeen
Holiday Inn Express Aberdeen - Chesapeake House
Courtyard Aberdeen at Ripken Stadium
Red Roof Inn - Aberdeen
Red Roof Inn - Aberdeen
#6 of 16 in Aberdeen
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bel Air East at I-95 Riverside (Aberdeen)

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Aberdeen? Share your experiences!