“The jewel of restaurants on our trip north.”
Review of Mamie's Cafe

Mamie's Cafe
Ranked #1 of 54 Restaurants in Aberdeen
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Manchester, New Hampshire
“The jewel of restaurants on our trip north.”
Reviewed February 29, 2012

Front desk clerk at our hotel suggested we try it on our way back home. We'd go out of our way to go there again. We lucked out on the food and our waitress.

• Visited February 2012

Havre de Grace, MD
“Not very good food. Cannot recommend a visit.”
Reviewed February 25, 2012

I have now eaten at Mamie's three times over about as many years. Last night will mark my final visit. The service has always been gracious. The food has always been a big disappointment- always over-cooked, poorly seasoned and using plenty of pre-made/frozen components. I visited for Valentine's Day and ordered the lobster and filet mignon. Presentation was very poor- the meal did not look good on the plate. Further, everything was way overcooked. The lobster was tough and rubbery, the beef was dry and unseasoned. Even the broccoli was mushy and overdone. Do yourself a favor and go anywhere else.

• Visited February 2012
2 Thank HdGresident
“Pot Roast to die for”
Reviewed February 10, 2012

This is the best place to eat in the area. When you walk inside you feel as though you are in your Grandma's basement with all the knick knacks on the walls. The service is very fast. The prices are extremely low given the portions you are served. Did I mention your meal comes with a tasty dessert? And the Pot Roast is better then any home cooked version I have ever eaten. Hands down the best place for a homecooked meal at an incredible price.

Aberdeen, MD
“Suprisingly good”
Reviewed January 10, 2012

I've been going here for lunch for a couple of years. If you're on a time limit, then call in your order. This is a place to come and sit a while. My friends love the shrimp salad and I love the sandwich with a fried flounder filet and crab cake. It's so much food that I actually eat the filet side of the sandwich and save the crab cake for later (which is very tasty and I'm a crab cake snob). I was a little put off by the decor at first...it's like you're eating at your grandma/great-grandma's house...not my first choice but it works here. The homestyle food is very good AND you get a free homemade dessert!! I LOVE the rice pudding but I haven't tasted a cake or brownie here that I wouldn't eat again.

The service is wonderful. The staff is generally the family of the owner or the owner (who is an absolute Baltimore hun sweetheart!!) I highly recommend Mamie's but stick with the homestyle stuff...this is not a gourmet restaurant.

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank Margareeta
Belcamp, Maryland
“Really, really bad processed, pre-made crap”
Reviewed January 3, 2012

I kept hearing good things about the "delicious" food at Mamie's cafe and made the terrible mistake of taking my mother, who was visiting from Europe, there for dinner, promising her a great experience and some good home-made food. I cannot adequately explain to you how shocked we both were when we looked at and tasted our food. We ordered two completely different dishes, I picked chicken Marsala, she ordered an expensive steak with seafood. The portions were -as raved about by other reviewers-enormous, but not well presented at all (not that it matters much when you're actually getting good food). What we got, though, were two heaping plates smothered and steeped in the same exact dark brown "sauce" which did not smell appetizing and turned out to taste even worse. I can tell you where exactly I tasted that sauce before, in a large industry-style cafeteria kitchen where sauces cames in big bins in powdered form and were just cooked up with water. My noodles were unsalted and overcooked and I could not even taste the chicken because the horrible sauce it was drowned in defeated all other flavor. My mother and I tried each other's sauces and they not only looked the same but were, SURPRISE, the same exact sauce. For chicken Marsala and a seafood dish. My daughter had Lasagna which tastes better frozen from Stouffers and was NOT homemade. Oh and I forgot to mention I had a cream of crab soup for starters, which I could not even eat half of because it was so salty that my blood pressure went up while I still had the spoon in my mouth. We also had a sied of fries that smelled and tasted so strongly of re-used fat that even my fry-crazy kid wanted none of it. We did not finish our food and the pound or so that was left landed in the trash can outside the restaurant. The price for this culinary nightmare was 75 dollars, ouch.
You have to believe me when I say the food was truly, truly bad. I'm not too fancy to eat from a food truck and I have eaten from street vendors in central Africa and had better quality food than I had at Mamie's cafe.
Perhaps I made a mistake not to stick to the "homecooked items", i.e. meatloaf or pot roast but since EVERYTHING we ordered was sub-par, I'm not sure. Sometimes less is more. If you have a restaurant and you know how to cook just a handfull of meals really well, just offer a handful of meals. No need to list food you can't handle and serve it up pig-trough style to make up for quality with quantity. And I'll say one more thing, if you're too cheap to change the oil in your fryer often enough to make your fries taste good, then you don't deserve the title of best restaurant in any city.

• Visited December 2011