“excellent stay and terrific staff” 5 of 5 bubbles

Comfort Inn Civic Center
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Augusta
GreenLeadersBronze level
Brantford, Canada
“excellent stay and terrific staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

This was the 8th day of a 9 day road trip from Ontario to Nova Scotia via the states. While the majority of our stops had nice clean quaint rooms, this one was way more than expected. We did not pay much more than any of the other places we stayed but you would have thought we should have. The room was spacious ( king bed ) and clean. Fridge didn't have a freezer which would have been nice for our freezer pack that we used on the road for snacks and water, but we survived.

The reason i decided to post this was from an incident at breakfast. Each place we stayed offered either a full hot breakfast or a continental breakfast which usually means muffins, pastries and maybe fruit and cereal so when we saw this hotel offered a continental breakfast that is what we expected. We were so wrong. They had cereal, toast, bagels, muffins, fruit, eggs, sausage, coffee, tea, milk, juice and something I had never seen before. A waffle maker!! I made my own enormous pumpkin waffle in under 3 minutes and it was amazing.. Also by the front desk they had coffee and a variety of teas all day.

The only complaint we had for our entire stay was having to listen to an old crabby woman do nothing but complain because the continental breakfast despite ALL the food they had, did not have light cream cheese for her bagel. She went on and on how EVERY place she stays has light cream cheese but this place didn't. OMG i wanted to tell her to take one of the regular ones and only use half of it. Even her husband got tired of listening to her and left. I made a point to tell the young lady there who had started her day early so we ( including cream cheese woman) had a good breakfast available at 6 am, how much I for one appreciated all they had for their guests for a FREE breakfast.
All in all i would definitely stay again, Great staff and great place ( pool and hot tub could be updated ) but over all I give them top marks.

Room Tip: We picked the main floor and it was quiet and clean.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Erica H, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn Civic Center, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thank you very much for your review! I am pleased to hear you enjoyed you stay with us. Our staff does go the extra mile to ensure great customer service. We hope to have you as our guest again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Augusta, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

This stay was terrible. It started off with getting a room key to a room on the third floor. Whatever, no problem. Went up to the room, and the key worked fine. We brought our bags through the door to find a naked woman spraweled over the bed! We obviously frightened her and immediately went to the front and told the girl what had happened. She apologized and upgraded us to a suite. That was good, until we went up with that key, and the key didn't work! At this time, our bags were overly heavy and we were already tired from traveling. Yet again, we make our way back down to the lobby. Explained what had happened. The girl came up to the room with us this time, after re-programming the card, and we got in. She was a very pleasant girl. (Sara Gould)
Went for a stay and wound up with a whopping $836.12 charge on my account. They originally take your card and hold a deposit from your account of that stay's amount. They did that. Then, at 3am, the date of our check-out, we recieved an "Express ticket". It had said that charges had already been made and we were set to go with a $00.00 balance. Later that day, around 9am (we had left at 7:45am), I get a phone call at work from the Comfort inn, and they had said that my payment didn't go through. I was livid. Not only did she (a different girl) swipe my card over seven times, but my bills had bounced and I had multiple calls from those agencies as well. I took my lunch hour for work, where she had made me wait for what seemed to be nearly 25 minutes while other guests were arguing about who was going to pay for dinner at the counter. I brought cash to the front and I requested that those holds/payments be taken off my account. It's pretty pathetic that I had to go through all that bs just to sleep in a bed and use a nasty pool. I already had a reciept stuck in my door saying I was paid in full. Why keep charging me?!?!?
I definitely do not advise ANYONE who would like a nice hotel to go.

Green Features: It was fine, but we could have used more towels on the second day.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. I on behalf of all the staff would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. Human error and computers can be a challenge for all of us. We are working hard to please each and every guest with every aspect in mind. Thank you again, we value all feedback.
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

Everything about our stay at this hotel was excellent. The only thing missing was a microwave and refrigerator. that was okay though. You may be able to get a room with these items but I don't remember. The staff, cleanliness, breakfast and beds were all excellent.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at the Comfort Inn in Augusta. I am sorry it may have been overlooked, but we do have a microwave and refrigerator in every room for guest convenience. Thank you for your review!
Fredericton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We went to Maine to do some shopping for Labor Day weekend. We chose the Comfort Inn Civic Center for two main reasons. A. It's pet friendly and we wanted to bring our shih tzu, and B. It has a pool and our teenagers appreciate that. For both of those reasons, we'd likely stay again. We went with my senior citizen parents and we each had rooms with one king and one pullout. Perfect for the kids to each have their own bed. The beds were super comfy, but the sheets didn't fit the bed well at all. They pulled off on all corners and both nights I got up in the middle of the night to fix them. My parents had a nice room, 235 where the pullout was in its own separate little room. We stayed in 214 and if I was booking again, I specifically ask not to be put in this room. We were right over the front entrance where people would go outside to some and the smell would be pulled through the AC. There was a water stain on the ceiling near the window, what looked like a burn mark on the bedspread and the shower head was loose and broken. The adjustable shower was stuck on pulsate and didn't allow for a great shower. The hairdryer was wired into the wall and the power cord was visible and where it disappeared into the wall looked awful, like it was not done professionally at all. The building itself is not air-conditioned, only window units in the rooms. The hallways were hot and the elevator was like a sauna. The breakfast room was very hot, even though there were to window AC units running because the door was propped open. It was also too small to accommodate the number of guests when the hotel is full, which it was last weekend. The breakfast was okay, the traditional breakfast fare at these kind of places. No surprises. When we scanned the room before we left we found a dirty black sock between the pullout sofa and the night table... not ours. My parents found dirty q-tips on the floor in their room, again, not theirs. The housekeeping staff were very nice and helpful, in fact on the first day they left a note that said "We love your dog!" In fact, the best thing I can say about our stay is that the staff were friendly, cheery and very helpful. The hotel itself needs updates.

Room Tip: 214 is noisy near the elevator, needs repairs and cigarette smoke from near the entrance gets pulled...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank FreddyBeachTeach
Erica H, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn Civic Center, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thank you for the review. We love having pets stay with us, they are part of the family! We hope to see your entire family again very soon!
Sydney, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Our family of four stopped here for a night in August as part of a shop-a-palooza tour through Maine and New Hampshire. The hotel was a solid "o.k." for us. Nothing wrong or out of the ordinary, but they could use a little updating. The place had a feeling of being a tired and neglected. Not the usual polished feel that we've come to expect from Comfort/Choice line of hotels. We chose this hotel because we wanted to do some shopping in the area and in Freeport (which is only about half an hour down the interstate.) There is plenty of stores nearby for anyone wanting to shop or eat. A definite plus is the ease of getting to the hotel from the I-95. For the price, I would say we got our moneys worth since it includes a breakfast for four. Would we return? Maybe, but I'd probably look at a few other hotels first.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for reviewing your stay. We appreciate any and all feedback, as we strive for complete guest satisfaction. We hope to have you as our guest agin in the future!
nova scotia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed at the comfort inn for two days. The hotel room was very nice the hotel in general was very nice. The pool area was extremely warm and was very strong with a chlorine smell. The gym was accessed through the pool area but inside was quite comfortable with air-conditioning. The machine are old but it does the trick. Freeport is very close if that is why you're heading that way. And there is a very good shopping two minutes away. Lots of great restaurants around and easily navigable. The only thing I did not like was that the person or maid who was cleaned the room put an envelope on the table and it said "please leave a tip". Breakfast was plentiful and enough tables to accommodate the amount of people that would come through Other than that it was great and I definitely would go back.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review us! I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. Our property is well located with ample restaurants and shopping close by. Come stay with us again!
Canton, MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed at this hotel over Labor Day weekend, when the hotel was completely booked. While there have been some renovations (e.g., the lobby looked refreshed; there was granite in the bathrooms), overall the hotel just seems really old.

There is one elevator, which was completely inadequate for the fully-booked hotel. Wait times were long, especially in the morning. The pool is in the basement, and while clean, there is paint peeling from the bottom and the steps. The towels were tiny and threadbare.

Overall, the whole hotel just seemed dark. Brown carpets and orange walls don't help, and I think that the lighting in general (both in the rooms and in the public areas) really needs to be addressed as it was just depressing.

We stopped into the breakfast room, which is a retro-fitted conference room with no windows. Everything looked clean and acceptable, but there was no seating available (again, full house), so we decided to go out for breakfast.

The staff were all quite pleasant; however, at checkout there was a sign stating that the staff person had stepped away. After waiting more than 5 minutes, I just left my room keys on the desk.

On the plus side, I felt that everything was clean just not on par with other chain hotels in the area. I could see the Fairfield Marriott across the street and I was regretting my choice.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear you were pleased with the cleanliness of our hotel. We are planning some exciting updates we think you'll enjoy.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Augusta
Senator Inn & Spa
#2 of 6 in Waterville
Maple Hill Farm Inn
Maple Hill Farm Inn
#1 of 1 in Hallowell

Been to Comfort Inn Civic Center? Share your experiences!