“Wow!!”

Ranked #1 of 97 Restaurants in Augusta
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Delivery
Description: The Red Barn has been a mainstay of our community since 1977, when the Benedicts opened the original restaurant and started serving chicken and seafood to local citizens and curious tourists. Some of its employees have served as many as four generations of central Maine families who have come to count on the Red Barn for quality and value. Over the past thirty five years, all ten of Bill and Florence Benedict’s children have worked here at one time or another. The family’s work ethic has been engrained in all of them. It is the essence of Maine’s economic mentality—you work hard, show commitment to what you do, and eventually reap the benefits. In 1986, Laura Benedict took ownership of the Red Barn, which was then struggling to stay afloat amid an influx of national chain restaurants. The journey certainly hasn’t been an easy one, especially during this current time of economic uncertainty, but she has managed to remain tenacious, despite mistakes and obstacles. Thanks to that tenacity, and the patronage of countless loyal customers who keep coming back year after year, the Red Barn can proudly claim its status as one of the very last and busiest family owned and operated restaurants in the area.
Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

My husband,myself,and our two year old had lunch here while visiting Augusta. Yummy!!!! That $40 lobster roll is well worth the $40 you pay for it. It is jam packed of lobster meat...you will never believe it unless you see one with your very own eyes. I had the fried fish...delicious and the roll that comes with it is to die for!! Fries are good too!! Would definitely return!!

There are newer reviews for The Red Barn

Reviewed May 30, 2013

I went to the Red Barn for lunch because of all the great reviews. I had a the lobster roll, because it was supposedly awesome. It came on a piece of bread the size of a hotdog bun. I even asked where the other half was. It was ok, not bad by any means just average. I also shared a fried clam and haddock basket with my dad. It too was ok. The place was hoppin' and the service was very good, it was also quite clean as well. I guess I thought it would've been awesome, it was just ok.

1  Thank Wayne640
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Best fried food baskets in town! Love to get haddock/chicken basket with mocha shake! Like the haddock sandwich as well. Concerts in the summer are a nice touch

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Red Barn literally has the best food. If the awesome food isn't enough for you, how about the fact that it is priced so well? We often times get the family of four chicken dinner. It comes with 2 pints of chicken (boneless and hand cut and breaded), two large fries, four dinner rolls, a pound of coleslaw and 2 liters of soda for 18.95. Best deal ever and for my family of 4 this is 2-3 meals.

Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

Since moving to Maine, I like to try Whoopie Pies wherever I come across them. Gas stations, bakeries, restaurants. The Red Barn has the best I've had and my family returns more for them than the rest of the menu. I usually get the clam strips which are difficult to find (whole clams are much more typical). Everything is always hit and fresh. Casual, energetic place perfect for lunch.

Been to The Red Barn? Share your experiences!