Senator Inn & Spa
Hotels.com
$102
$134
$139
Axell's Scandinavian Inn(Manchester)(Great Value!)
$110
$131
$119
Official Site
All reviewssteam roomhot tubhome friessitting rooman upgradeeggsaugusta areacontinental breakfastfitness centeryogurtwonderful stayparking lotnew englandfireplacepresidentialmainepedicure
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 15, 2010

My family stayed for two nights at the Senator, booking three of the newly renovated rooms. Firstly, these renovated "deluxe" rooms are worth the small extra cost, as they are nicely decorated and well furnished.

The gym was well stocked with great cardio equipment (I found the machine I use at my normal gym). Additionally, there is a room for yoga and stretching, as well as a number of classes and a gorgeous pool, although I didn't get to make use of any of these features.

The woman manning the gym/spa desk was quite friendly and helpful; this quality was the standard for the employees I encountered. A maid saw me returning from breakfast one morning and asked when would be a good time to come back to clean the room. When my family got locked out of our rooms due to a slight mix-up with the key cards, the problem was fixed by the staff very quickly and courteously. (See my review of their restaurant, Cloud 9, for similar qualities there).

I wouldn't be surprised if my family stays here again the next time we are up in this part of Maine.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank SwordPrefect
Reviewed February 22, 2010

We got married at the Senator 10 years ago. It was noted when we booked our trip we were coming for our 10 year anniversary. I would think they could have did something special, something simple as leaving a bottle of wine or champagne in the room. We have never stayed at a Hotel for our anniversary that didnt leave a little card or something. Specially for the one we got married in. Rooms were beautiful and clean except we got no sleep as the fan went off every 3 minutes and it was soo loud it woke you up out of a dead sleep. we got about 1 hour sleep that night. Room also is advertised as $189.00 a night on line and we were charged $199.00. brought this to their attention and as a place of business you would have thought they would honor their advertisement.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 17, 2010

This fairly generic hotel has a very cozy and lovely restaurant with lots of truly unusual artwork and charming amenities. The food was good too! Service excellent. The spa is really really nice, warm heated floor tiles, big and nice showers with free shampoo and lotions, an awesome steam room, salt water pool that is really nice, it feels like a very expensive place but is not! It is completely unlike most generic pools you find in a Best Western. The rooms were nice, beds comfy, large bathroom (we stayed in the Spa Suite) with a smaller TV actually in the bathroom! The staff were all excellent, truly. And the price is quite a deal!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 18, 2009

The room was lovely, plenty of room with a pull out couch. The restaurant meals were very good.... the cranberry walnut pancakes were perfection! I just can't say enough about the spa. I have been there many times over the years and will continue to do so. The salt water pool is gorgeous.... I can't wait to come back!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
senatorinfo, General Manager at Senator Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2010

Greetings and thank you for your review of our Hotel.
We understand that there are many choices in the area and we are pleased that you chose us as a destination vacation. I will pass on your compliments to our staff.
Have a wonderful New Year and hope to see you again.

David

Reviewed December 6, 2009

I totally annoyed my husband by repeating over and over again: "This is the best motel EVER! This is the best motel EVER!" Okay, strictly speaking, I'm not sure if it's a motel or a hotel. But we just pulled off the interstate, and really felt we'd totally lucked out. It looks generic enough from the outside, and is surrounded by your usual highway-side sprawl. But inside it was really something special. We travel a lot up and down the highways of New England, and we've staying in tons of hotels, motels, and inns in Maine, and this was the best surprise. Our room was $99, but it had all the sweet little perks you expect at a much pricier place (free mineral water, a fantastic restaurant for breakfast the next morning (with free blueberry muffins w/our order, etc etc), but even better than that was the fact that we were allowed free access to the attached spa. We went in the sauna and hot tub and the fabulous salt-water pool, and slathered on the moisturizer from Molton Brown (a fancy British company, many steps above the usual freebie amenities). And this was NOT some cheesy motel-y pool -- NOT the kind of chain-hotel pseudo "spa": that scares you a bit with its sketchiness. No, this was a super-duper-clean, super-duper-well-scrubbed, big, roomy, and very attractively designed real spa. You know, the kind of place you dish out lots of money to enter, usually. I think it's pretty large, and I think it was until recently a Best Western, but it really felt like the local, family-run hotel that it is. Round of applause! The service was also really great, much much much MUCH better than the average hotel/motel of this class..Round of applause!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business