“The best service and comfort we have ever experienced! We will be coming back! Don't change a thing!”
Review of The Senator Spa

The Senator Spa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
Reviewed August 22, 2011

Roger Bintliff and his staff were awesome! Specifically Athena at the front desk, Thomas and Shannon in the restaurant and Jake who was our dinner server. Quality of service and commitment to excellance and pleasant attitudes went above and beyond our expectations with the 5 above mentioned! The Senator is already in our plans on our next visit to Maine!

L/A, Maine
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Left me wondering . . . am I too spoiled?”
Reviewed January 3, 2009

Just got back from an overnight at The Senator Inn & Spa in Augusta. Don't live far away and was taking advantage of a gift certificate I purchased at a silent auction for my trade association. Frank at the front desk was delightful and very helpful....as a matter of fact, he acted as "maintenance/engineer" when our heating/cooling system was unable to be adjusted. He relocated us to a room where the system was working well....until the middle of the night when the fan went on and never went off again until I disabled it in the morning when the room temperature was about 78 degrees!

In any case, we were in a Spa Suite . . . roomy enough albeit not very well laid out . . . the batteries were dead in the remote for the TV in the sitting area (but Frank got us new batteries promptly), the sleeping area had a gas fireplace which was a wonderful touch but it was directly at the foot of the bed and the TV was on top of it!!

What we found particularly curious is that our Spa Suite was at the opposite end of the hotel from the actual Spa.....3 long corridors one flight down that formed a U. AND the hotel and/or Spa did not provide robes in your room (a Spa Suite, don't forget) unless you were getting "services," i.e., a massage, etc., because, I was told by the spa attendant, the robes were in short supply. So, because we assumed a Spa Suite would include robes and would be located nearby the actual spa, we ended up walking the long hallways passing by the entrance to the front desk, bar, and restaurant, in our bathing suits covered by towels.

We were also told when we booked the room that the mineral bath, hot tub, pool, steam room, etc., would be available to us because we were in a Spa Suite. Ultimately we found out that there is no actual mineral bath . . . apparently the pool and hot tub are enhanced with minerals (?).

Have to say the food in their restaurant Cloud 9 is wonderful. Have eaten many meals there over the years and have never been disappointed.

It was a terrific break from our routine in any case.....the bed was comfortable, it was quiet, and I wish I had gotten a massage!

2 Thank crzinn
senatorinfo, General Manager at The Senator Spa, responded to this review, January 20, 2009
Greetings from The Senator Inn
Thank you for the feedback of your recent stay with us. I am sorry that it was not all positive and do apologize for the negative incidents that you experienced.
Our suites were designed with comfort in mind and much detail had been incorporated at the time. However tastes and ideas do change and we are reevaluating the layout of these rooms. It is true that they are not located directly at the spa, but due to the layout of the property it was the only workable space allowed. We do offer wonderful locker rooms for those who choose to change after the short walk to the spa. Robes in the room may be a consideration in the future but at this time they are part of the spa experience and are used for guests that plan services. Should a guest decide on a service after they have arrived, robes are then brought to the room. Our pool is considered a salt water mineral pool and follows all of the required guidelines for such. The proper mixture of salt is added which then is turned into chlorine by the saltwater generators located in the filtration area. It is a very interesting process that requires strict monitoring.
Thank you again for your comments, they will be used by our team to further enhance the experience of our guests. We hope to see you again in the future.
augusta
“Disapointed in Spa”
Reviewed June 6, 2008

My mother and I had apt at the spa for the new chocolate manicure and pedicure. The spa messed up the scheduling so they called us to reschedule. Then that night they called again to say there was a mistake. I just cancelled it, disappointed in the way they handled it. I should have taken the reputation of the spa a little more seriously and just not tried to go there. Management is bad.

9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Not a first class spa but good for the area”
Reviewed May 3, 2008

The Senator does well getting business around here because there are not a lot of spas.

However, if you are looking for a first class spa experience this may not be it.

Several times I have been and many of times the hot tub has had brown dirty bubbles around the edges. Disgusting.

I have had good experiences with the nail techs, other than that more than once the tech has told me she can't do a French Manicure.

For what you pay it is nice to use the pool area for part of the day because this is included.

GetawayGary, Public Relations Manager at The Senator Spa, responded to this review, May 14, 2008
Thank you for frequenting the Senator Inn & Spa and for your positive comments and concerns. With their spa services treatment, all of our spa guests enjoy the full-day use of our spa amenities including the signature indoor mineral pool, sauna, steam room, Jacuzzi, lounge and state of the art fitness facilities.

We are disappointed to hear that you were not able to receive a French Polish nail treatment during your last visit with us. We have seven (7) full-time manicurists on staff, six (6) of which offer French polish. We also have a skilled stylist who sometimes provides manicures during busy times, but is not able to provide French polish - with our apologies.

We apologize for any negative experiences you had during your visit to our spa. Many of our guests also frequent our Jacuzzi, which is cleaned daily and drained twice each week, more than is suggested by the manufacturer's guidelines. Occasionally during periods of heavy use, lotions, colognes and body oils interact with Jacuzzi chemicals and alter the PH balance, resulting in a slightly discolored foam. Senator Inn & Spa attendants actively monitor the jacuzzi tub and administer foam reducers to restore temporary imbalances.

At the Senator Inn & Spa, we seek to create a first class spa experience. Your feedback will be used to assist our management team in creating a better experience for all our guests. Thank you once again for your comments, both constructive and positive.
sidney, me
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Best place to get your nails done”
Reviewed December 14, 2006

My sister and I had a wonderful day at their beautiful spa. We had a nice manicure and then a wonderful pedicure. They use the best products and what a difference it made. One of the nail tech. Jody was just wonderful. The message she gave to my feet, I will travel to get again. They are using SpaRitual nail polish and products which are chemical free and very good for your nails and skin. Our messages where out of this world, and the facials where like nothing we have ever had before. We had use of the pool, hot tub, steam room, hot Sauna, and state of the art gym all day long at no cost, because we had treatments. We stayed in our robes most of the day, and they even delivered our lunch to us in the spa. The food was so yummy, we wanted more but couldn't eat another bite. The helpings where that big. We received fresh bread with our delicious salads. So good. If you are looking to get away from it all by yourself or with some special friends, this is the place to go. A gem of a place in Maine. They have everything, and the staff was so nice. Always wearing a smile.

5 Thank gokids4