“Not Mexican, Not Tex-Mex, Not a Place You Want to Go to Eat”

Margaritas Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 97 Restaurants in Augusta
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene, Kids, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Authentically delicious food and drinks made fresh to order daily. Art and furnishings handcrafted in Mexico. For family, friends and community, the fiesta starts here. It’s like being in Mexico without getting on a plane.
Hanover, New Hampshire
“Not Mexican, Not Tex-Mex, Not a Place You Want to Go to Eat”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

On an annual trip to Augusta for the Maine Quilt Show my friend and I went to Margaritas Mexican Restaurant (their description, written on the lobby wall) for dinner.

Our first clue that this was not going to be a good dining experience was when our perky 20 something waitress first came to the table at least 10 minutes after we say down. Her glued on smile would make any aspiring beauty queen proud. My friend is from California where even the Taco Bells have good Mexican food. When she asked if she could get a combo (a choice of 2 or 3 dishes, e.g., burritos, tacos, enchiladas, etc.) we were told they don't have combos. When she asked for a hard shell corn taco, she was told they only have hard shell flour tacos. When she asked for a common bean order, she was told they only have refried or pinto beans. My friend commented to the waitress that she was from CA and that all Mexican restaurants had combos, the tacos she requested and a variety of bean preparations and included rice, pico de gallo and sour cream and a choice of beans. The waitress told us everything was al a carte. No rice or beans with any entree.

I ordered a cheese quesadilla entree with chicken and veggies; when my order came, the quesadilla was so wet I could not pick it up and when I tried to cut it with a knife, it was like uncooked dough: wet, soggy and fell apart. The chicken was cut into pieces and was boiled. There was NO cheese.

The waitress only came back to our table once and that was when we were finished with the meal; never refilled our drinks, and when I explained the problem with my quesadilla, she took it away and said she would talk to her manager.

Since we had a problem, the manager came to our table, knelt down, and said "so you are from CA?" In his words told us his place was NOT a Mexican Restaurant and was NOT Tex-Mex. So exactly what is it? He tried to put us on the defensive, argued with my friend that we shouldn't have expected real Mexican food as first, this is not a Mexican or Tex-Mex restaurant, and second, that this was Maine and there are no Mexicans in Maine. Rude and insulting does not even begin to describe his attitude. My family have owned restaurants in Boston and I am well aware of the philosophy that the customer is always right and the management is there to solve any problems graciously.

After an argumentative discussion with him, he walked away, our perky glued-on smile waitress came with the bill and told us my meal was compted.
I didn't care about the money; I had just wanted an edible meal.

Will never go to a restaurant of this chain again, anywhere.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Mermaid6973

Port Washington, New York
“Great Atmosphere”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Attractive atmosphere and the food was good. The guacamole was not as fresh as advertised, the fajitas were great and huge and the fried ice cream was awesome.

Visited July 2013
Lake Placid, New York
“So-so food, shabby atmosphere, and much too exuberant staff”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

If you are walking to Margaritta's from the adjacent Hampton Inn, the first impression is not a good one. You enter through a shabby back hall, with early 1980s decor, extremely worn, and an overwhelming smell of disinfecting cleaner.

But I was tired and hot and had just driving hundreds of miles, so I stayed. I wanted to go to the bar, and have a quick bite and a drink. The bar was extremely dark, probably a good thing because it hides the dirty and old decor. The bartender was way, way, way, too exuberant, wanting to know my name and then repeatedly calling me by my name, and pushing the top-end drink on me, etc. It was annoying.

The frozen blender drink were mostly ice and not much drink. The nachos I ordered were a congealed mess.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank raku8
Uranium City, Canada
“A Happy Spot”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We got a Taxi over, from our Hotel, my Wife wore her Big Hat, so we could fill it up with Nacho Chips to take back to the Hotel!(lol) The Bar was great, the worst thing to do, is to fill up on the Chips and salsa, while you're sliding back those Wonderful Margaritas. We when were seated, the food was hot, tasty, and we were laughing, the staff is friendly, very professional, this Business earns it's Customers. Very Good , will go again. ! PS, ate again in Salem,NH, stayed at La Quinta,next door! Fantastic as well!

• Visited May 2013
Leesburg, Virginia
“Good Food”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We had eaten at the other locations. The food was good and fresh. We liked it and we will go again when we are in town.

Visited May 2013