“Birthday Party”
Review of Mac's Grill

Mac's Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Mac's Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 98 Restaurants in Auburn
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: We are a high energy restaurant with a vibrant neighborhood bar and grill appeal. Though we are known for our steaks, you will find there is something on the menu to please anyone in your group. We serve Choice Black Angus beef which is hand cut daily on the premises. Whether you are looking for a full course meal, or just out for a cold beer and a great burger, you are sure to feel right at home. So, throw on your most comfortable jeans and join us for a great meal and lots of laughs. Just a couple miles from downtown Auburn, you can't miss our log cabin featuring a comfortable deck for outside dining.
Bethel Maine
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Birthday Party”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Birthday Party for my Aunt 85th. Service great. Meals great. One complaint chairs very noisy I new section.

• Visited March 2014

Ohio
“Fabulous meal.”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

We were in town and our friends took us to Macs. We had to wait a little bit but was worth it. Everyone had something different and we all enjoyed our food. I had the Parmesan crusted Haddock and it was fantastic. My friends had ribs, fish and chips and my husband a steak. The locale potatoes were great!! They were busy but service was fine. Had a great selection on microbrew beers. I had the locale Ale that's made for Macs ( can't remember the name) and it was great!

Visited January 2014
Auburn
“I want to like this place more, but...”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

First, the food. Good to very good, though sometimes a bit inconsistent, the prep and presentation are generally pretty good. A bit pricey based on my fairly extensive travels and experience at restaurants around the country, but Mac's is the best local choice for steaks, in my experience.

Though the place is always crowded, it's also been my more recent experience that the service drags it down. Mind you, I was a waiter at a good steakhouse in my youth, and I'm pretty sensitive to the plight of food servers (rude, demanding, and unreasonable patrons), and I try to cut some slack here. But my last two visits have been real disappointments.

- I hate having to wait until dinner is completed to get a water refill, even after asking politely.

- I hate having my steak delivered to the table 90 seconds after the french onion soup has been delivered, even though it was pretty clearly ordered as an appetizer (and so listed on the menu).

- I hate being made to feel that I've done something wrong when I politely and reasonably register my dissatisfaction with the server.

- I hate that I still feel compelled to leave any tip (I left about a 13% tip, far, far more than was earned), even though there was no apology or recognition that this was clearly NOT good service, even topped off with a hint of server arrogance.

In this case, we took our onion soup home, 'cause we did not want the steaks to get cold. I would have said something to the hostess on our way out, but the waitress was standing right next to her and I did not need to make a scene or make anyone else uncomfortable.

Sadly, this has become a trend at Mac's. I hope they get their act more together. I will likely end up there again, but it has fallen way off in my satisfaction ratings.

• Visited October 2013
Auburn, Maine
“Steakhouse”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

An alternative to the big chains, this is a steakhouse located on Minot Ave. Reservations on the weekend are definitely required and even then there may be a bit of a wait. The food was good, but it is one of those steakhouses where everything is ordered a la carte. Service was decent if a bit rushed

Visited September 2012
1 Thank coelnic826
Alexandria, Minnesota
“Steak is great”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

The grill cut steak is 22oz and it is great, I normally can finish this size steak, but not this time, the steak was seasoned and cooked to perfection and much bigger than I thought. The salmon is also very good. We had great service and good food

• Visited August 2013