“Review of our first visit”
Review of Fire House Grille

Fire House Grille
Ranked #48 of 100 Restaurants in Auburn
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Reviewed November 27, 2012

A definite improvement over the former Andy Baked Beans but the food does not have the WOW factor.
Our burgers were bland. A simple fix would be for the cook to add salt & pepper to the burgers while on the grill. Also the quality of the buns vs the price paid was disappointing and lettuce should be placed on the bottom of the burger as a bed rather than on the top of the burger where it becomes messy. Also, another comment we had was the battered onion rings had way too much batter vs the onion within it. The batter was also bland. In addition the grease used to fry the onion rings and potato chips needed changing as evidenced by the oil smell and grease on the food.
On the positive side the waiter was very friendly and the owner took the time to come to our table. The drinks were very reasonably priced.
We want nothing more than this local eatery to make it, but they are going to have to hire a chef who knows how to cook. Too many people are trying this restaurant for the first time, but are not coming back.

1  Thank JohnnyBAuburn_Maine

Reviewed July 25, 2012

Decided on the spur of the moment last night (Tuesday) to have dinner at the Fire House Grille. Hadn't been there since they opened about 6 months ago. This venue used to be Andy's Baked Beans, a gloomy little bar serving "bean specials" on Saturday nights. My grandfather used to pick one up every week for the family. When I walked in I was pleasantly surprised to see how warm and inviting the renovation turned out. The former fire fighters who bought the place and redid it completely did a great job. It's open, airy and very pleasant--friendly and welcoming. Our server was nice and fun to talk to, and she was attentive without being over-bearing. The food was very, very good and very reasonably priced. And the drinks weren't too strong or too weak--just right. I'd recommend Fire House Grille happily and confidently. Nice addition to "the hood" I grew up in!

2  Thank crzinn
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Loud. Food greasy. Onion rings over breaded. Beans tasted like out of can, slaw sweet. Nothing great. Won't go back.

Reviewed February 5, 2012

We went to the Firehouse Grille early on a recent Friday night. The seating area is pretty limited, so I would be hesitant to come during a higher volume time. The decor was a mix of firefighting momentos and large screen TVs. The menu was pretty standard pub fare, with apps, sandwiches, and burgers for the most part. I would probably be most likely to return for lunch in the future. My sandwich was a little on the dry and overcooked side, the bun was a bit disappointing. I thought their fries were good though. Service was average to above average for our area (where service tends to not be very good in general). The dessert menu was limited to just two items, I hope they expand that in the future. Prices were fair. In a bigger town, this might be the kind of place I wouldn't return to, but in Lewiston-Auburn where dining choices are limited, it will probably turn into a place we visit a few times a year when we need a break from our usual places.

Reviewed February 4, 2012

We finally had a chance to try the Fire House Grille on a recent Friday night and I came away pleased with the experience. It's better than the average Auburn restaurant and a welcome addition to the city's dining selection.

The Fire House is located in a long, narrow building (like a fire house), so the dining room is cozy, but comfortable. The decor includes plenty of firefighting photos, fire helmets, and other effects. There are several flat screen TVs, including one behind the bar area. The tables were clean and the service was prompt and friendly. Due to the physical restrictions, there isn't an over-abundance of seating in the dining room. We showed up for dinner early (5:30) and were able to sit down immediately, but by the time we left there folks waiting for tables. There isn't a lot of excess parking in this part of town, but we grabbed a spot on the street nearby.

The food was generally very good. The portions were substantial, the presentation good, and the prices reasonable. I tried one of their burgers (the "Engine Company") and in my mind it might be the best burger in town. That's partially because it was a good burger and partially because Auburn doesn't have a lot of great burgers to choose from. Many of the entrees, including the burger, come with two sides. I had the fries (better than average, but not the best in town), and the famous baked beans (at least on this night, very average). My only real disappointment was the very limited dessert selection, which consisted of just cheesecake or chocolate cake.

Overall it was a good dining experience, and I would both return and recommend it to others.