“2nd Awesome Stay Unbelievable!!!”
Review of Bass Haven Resort

Bass Haven Resort
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Anacoco
Bass Haven Resort
Reviewed April 7, 2012

Wow, There have been some major changes since my last visit!! Once again, my Wife and I have made a trip to this wonderful place. We have made this an annual event for us!! Bass Haven Resort has been through many changes in the last couple of years. Our first visit was in 2011 and we absolutely loved it!! At that time, they were going throught some major renovations and upgrades of the property. (Read my first review of Bass Haven February 2011) We once again traveled to Bass Haven From Iowa on during the last Week of February of this year (2012) We like to come here during this time because the season has not officially kicked off yet and we love the serenity of the area at this time. There has been a management change this year and now Some of the nicest people you will ever meet are managing the resort. Bobette, and Sean. Bobette manages the front end of the operation and Sean is in charge of all of the renovations and remodeling that is going on!!. Again, we stayed in a water front cabin that was well appointed with everything we needed. There is nothing better than going out onto your private deck first thing in the morning, sipping coffee and enjoying the million dollar view of the Toledo Bend resevoir. The complex has a motel, several cabins, and awesome camping spots for RV's There is a store on site that sells the necessities, a wonderful restaraunt, boat launch and rentals, slip, fuel, everything that you need to make this a must stay location if you are visiting the area!!! During the season, they also have an awesome waterslide, pool, and swimming beach. The hospitality of this place is unbelivable!! True Southern charm at it's best. Need something?, just ask and they will do their best to accomodate you. Bobette and Sean are long time residents of Bass Haven and had been staying there for many years. It has been a vacation and off season location for them for years. They had an opportunity to take over the full time management of Bass Haven, and have done a wonderful job. Please do not judge Bass haven by some of the negative reviews that have been written in the past. There have been ongoing changes (all for the better) new management, and a major upgrade to the facilities. Toledo Bend Resevoir has some of the best fishing in this part of the country and many of the visitors to Bass Haven are there for that reason. If you are looking for total glitz and glamor, Room service, concierge desk, valet parking, that is not what Bass Haven is about! However, if you are looking for a family friendly, private, well appointed location to spend some vacation time at, Bass Haven Resort is for you!! You will not be dissapointed!! We have spent some considerable time here in the last two years and see Bass Haven for what it is!! We love it!!! In my opinion, there is nothing quite like it anywhere. Feel free to contact me through Trip Advisor if you need some additional information or have questions about Bass Haven!!! If we did not have a positive experience here, belive me I would not be driving 1000 miles to come here once a year! There are State Parks in the area, and many activities outside of Bass Haven for you to enjoy. Bobette, Sean, and all of the staff at Bass Haven get 5 stars from us!!! make sure you congratulate Bobette and Sean on their new Grandaughter and give them a big hug and kiss from Ben and Juli in Iowa!!! Happy travels, I only hope that your visit to Bass Haven will be nothing but pure enjoyment!!

Room Tip: We love the water front cabins!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nitronb

Reviewed January 31, 2012

My husband & I recently visited this resort & all was great there. We got to do just what we set out to do which was enjoy mother nature & have nothing but time with each other. We got away from all the hustle & bustle life can throw at you. The fishing was GREAT!!! the staff were very friendly & helpful!! If ur looking for a get away this is ur place. The prices were lower, the food was very good & the lake was beautiful. Our cabin was clean & we will b returning soon. Thanks Bass Haven for reminding my husband & I thats theres more to life than work.
We will b back!!!

Room Tip: The cedar cabins are great.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shawn d
Reviewed May 19, 2011

My wife and I had a great time. They were really nice. I don't know why these people think they were so mean. It was a great value and the staff was very nice. If they had rude staff before, they must of fired them.

Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 17, 2011

My wife and I found Bass Haven Resort quite by accident. We were on a mission to head out of the cold Iowa winter and find some fun, sun, and relaxation somewhere south! We thought first about going to New Orleans then found out that Mardi Gras was getting ready to start. ( Too many folks for us) We saw Toledo Bend reservoir on the map and became intrigued. We thought that a little stay on the water might be just what we were looking for. While we were looking at the lake on Google maps, we saw a place called Bass Haven Resort. We looked it up and it looked like something that would be right up our alley. I made a phone call and spoke with Nadine. She told me that they were in the process of doing some construction, remodeling, and getting prepared for the seasons opening. Nadine was very honest in telling us that there was a lot of things going on. She said that they were replacing a septic system, remodeling their cabins and tearing down some of their older buildings. We expressed out interest in staying there. She not only told us what to expect but made sure that we were comfortable with what was going on at the time. Hey, for us it was a spontaneous adventure!!! Nadine said that she would find us a cabin or offer us a campsite when we arrived. Off we went!!! When we arrived at Bass Haven Resort, we were in awe at the beauty of the area!! This is one of the largest man made reservoirs in the world and is stunning!!! The resort itself sits on a very pristine acreage filled with pine trees and lots of campsites and cabins. We met Nadine inside of the new restaurant/office area and introduced ourselves. Nadine once again apologized for the construction that was going on and told us that she would make our stay as comfortable as possible. We asked if we could get a cabin on the water. Fortunately for us, there were several as we were there before the season opened on March 1st. (Bass Haven is open year round. ) Nadine gave us A newly remodeled cabin (#7) and we checked in. This cabin was awesome!! Fresh paint, new linens, plenty of towels, wash clothes, dishes, etc..... we did not need anything except for our luggage and some groceries. O.K. getting a little wordy now. To make a long story short, Bass Haven is going through a lot of positive changes. I do not know what it was like before, but can attest to what it is becoming. Nadine just took over the resort in September. We spent quite a bit of time with her and I can tell you that she is on top of everything that is going on. I did not see any of the reviews on Trip Advisor before I left. I would give Bass Haven a chance. I know the reviews are not the best. I did not see anything even close to what was talked about in other reviews on my visit. I am not saying that previous reviews were false but there has been a HUGE change!!! My wife and I will be making at least one trip there every year. We loved it!!! All of the staff that we met, were awesome. We met many of the employees while we were there, and shared meals and good times together. I would not have any reservations on taking my children, parents, best friend, or anyone to Bass Haven Resort. Feel free to E-Mail me and I will tell you more!! Don't be discouraged by previous reviews. THIS PLACE HAS CHANGED!! ( Wow, I feel like a paid spokesman! ) I'm not! We can't wait to go back!! Good luck and happy travels!!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nitronb
Reviewed September 8, 2010

The add on the internet was great, but in person it's horrible. 95% of the place is the dirt/sand and ruts everywhere. The beds are horrible, the tv didn't work. The boat launch is horrible.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dbl1012
Reviewed September 7, 2010

So bad, I don't know where to begin. It was a last minute trip and we booked this before we saw the reviews. I looked at reviews after booking and hoped it wasn't as bad as what people said. Well, it's worse! There are run-down trailers and "camps" jammed in every corner. Website advertises: cable/wifi/restaurant/grocery store and has really nice pictures. Well, we had no cable, no wifi, "grocery store" had little to nothing in it - basically had just liquor, restaurant was terrible. We ordered seafood platter and some appetizers to go. The fish, shrimp, hush puppies and stuffed crab all tasted like they were purchased frozen and fried in bad grease. Grilled shrimp appetizer was at least edible and we had pop tarts on standby since the $50 of food we ordered was mostly inedible.

We paid $175/night for a "jacuzzi cabin on waterfront." There is garbage everywhere, broken glass, looked worse than a trashy trailer park. The cabin itself looked decent, nothing fancy by any means. There is a tv in the living room, but there's no cable. The water in the cabin smelled terrible (like sewage), the dishes and pots didn't look safe to use. We ended up only staying one night because we were miserable. Only thing nice was the view of the lake.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cgb2010bbla
Reviewed September 5, 2010

It is NOT a resort! Glorified fish camp. Great location, ok boat launch; the whole place is in disrepair. We rented one bedroom cabin for $95 per nite. Floor was full of sand, bathroom dirty with towels that had more holes than cloth! TV had no sound. Maintenance brought another the second nite, no sound, so they shrugged shoulders walked out, never to be seen again. I did ask for a meal comp and got it. Some of staff were gracious. Barking dogs a bit much. Would never go back. This place has possibilities, but owner(s) or investors will need to put some money into it!!!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family

Been to Bass Haven Resort? Share your experiences!