“Surprising on the Inside”

Panda Garden Buffet
Ranked #10 of 36 Restaurants in Amite
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed March 26, 2013

This place is good - a big surprise given its rather plain looking outside. Inside, this is well done. Good furnishings, good decor. They have a big variety of food - I had sushi, dim sum, and FROG LEGS, as well as the regular Chinese-American favorites. They kept the buffet bar freshly stocked the entire time. $11 a person for the evening buffet - that is pretty good.

I like the place.

1  Thank Dwayne P

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I have eaten at the Panda Garden Buffet many times since it opened at 910 W. Oak Street Amite, La. It is located in a small strip between a car wash and burger king.
The building doesn't appear to be much on the outside, just a plain 3 business building but once inside everything looks fresh and clean.
The buffet bar always appeared clean, and fresh food is always coming out of the kitchen. The food has always been good and there is no complaint at this time about the food.
The waitresses are always attentive and sometimes too attentive as they bring over your check before you have finished your meal, before you even have dessert. By doing this it seems as they are saying you've eaten enough so it is time to GO, GET OUT!
Not to profile fat verses skinny even though I could understand this practice when I see this happening to those that eat multi-plates piled high that actually are eating more than the cost of the buffet. But this practice goes for everyone fat or skinny!
Let’s move on to the REASON for this TERRIBLE rating..I went to the restroom before leaving and ahead of me was a Waitress; she went into a stall as I was entering the restroom. It was only her and I, and when I exited the stall the bathroom door was closing as the waitress had gone out the door. I thought to myself, "she didn't wash her hands" as I heard no water being turned on or running. But I must be mistaken thinking to myself that she was just quite, but as I washed my hands and reached for the paper towel level, pulling it down to expose the towel, it made this loud noise and I then knew THE WAITRESS HAD NOT WASHED HER HANDS BEFORE RETURNING TO THE DINING AREA! Oh my GOODNESS! I went out and on my way to get my bill I saw the owner speaking to that same waitress as she was entering the kitchen door. I went on to the register to pay my bill. I told the owner what had just happened and he stated that “he was sorry. “ It didn’t seem to be a big deal to him so I stated “this is against the Health Code,you are suppose to wash your hands” he stated “he knew this and again apologized” all the while looking at toward the waitress. As I was leaving I told the owner that I would not be back. He looked surprised and once he felt the loss in his pocket book he rushed to the waitress…..I will never know what steps he took to have the staff WASH THEIR HANDS AFTER GOING TO THE BATHROOM, as I will not spend my money in an establishment that I saw first hand that an employee did not wash their hands.