“Just average”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Alexandria
Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in Alexandria
“Just average”
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

This hotel wasn't anything remarkable. It was simply average. We stayed for a week and had to settle for a smoking room as that was all that was available despite daily requests to move to another room if possible. That said, we had a king suite. The beds were comfortable. The sofa bed was not. The first night the sheets smells of smoke and I requested fresh linens and remarkable they didn't smell any longer. It make me suspect that the sheets weren't changed prior to my arrival. I found the room relatively clean but details were missed (cobwebs in corner, curtains nasty). Our ac worked great. Pros: great job on breakfast, DVD players in suite. Staff helped with local recommendations. Cons: main bathroom off of breakfast area had broken lock. No sign was posted. When brought to stafff attenrion, it was well known that it was broken but shrugged off. Rude signs at elevators. Tacky! We were warned that it wasn't in a very good area and to not leave valuables in the vehicles.

It was an average stay at an average hotel. I didn't feel it was a value at all.

• Stayed August 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Kblank003,

Thank you for your review and for enumerating the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. I appreciate the kind words about our hotel, comfortable beds, breakfast menu exceeded your expectations and great staff. Whilst I am pleased with the good comments, I truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. I am sorry for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay with us. As we continually strive for excellence in customer service, we maintain the ideal of keeping guest satisfaction as our top priority. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

Krysllin G.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Brookfield, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 6, 2013

As always, HI and HIE are our choice of stay in any city. This hotel is very good, clean, and the staff was welcoming and helpful. The room was clean and had all I needed. Well worth the stay - price is right as well. Breakfast is typical HIE fare. This will be our hotel of choice while working in the area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Walterene L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
We are so happy that your were pleased with your stay. As always we look forward to your next visit.
Ponchatoula, Louisiana, United States
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Do not waste your money on this disastrous hotel. I was assured that internet capabilities would be furnished in my room, and that was not the case. When I asked the front desk clerk for assistance, she was rude & not helpful. When I tried to get my money back since I was not going to stay, I received no help or refund. The Candlewood Suites nearby was extremely helpful, sweet, & well priced. The suite was great and the staff was above and beyond.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear Tom P,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments.

I humbly apologize for the inconvenience you had with our internet service and the dissatisfaction our service level has caused you.

Your feedback is very important to us as this continually helps us improve the facilities and guest services we offer to our guests. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests.

Dhan M
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Alexandria hotels

Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here on a recent overnight trip with my wife. Upon arrival, the receptionist, Troy, was very nice and had all my information readily available, which made for an expedient check-in. He made sure to point me to the locations of all the amenities, such as the gym, pool, business center, and continental breakfast area.

The room was nice and clean, and the A/C was superb. It was set on 60 when we walked in. Included with the room was complimentary wi-fi.

Location is nice, right off McAuthur, which has many food and retail options within a 10 minute drive.

My only gripe was noise. The walls seem fairly thin or uninsulated. I could hear people next door, in the hallway and above me all night. Other than that, we had a great stay, and I would definitely recommend this hotel to others visiting Alexandria.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you so much for your kind comments. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay.
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed June 18, 2013

This is a very nice and apparently relatively new facility. Our suite was very large, with a comfortable chair and ottoman in the bedroom, which also included a very large TV. The living area was furnished with a sofa and coffee table and a 32 in TV. It also included a wet bar (i.e. a bar sink, refrigerator, microwave, plus cabinet space). All the furniture was high quality and contemporary styled.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for making us your choice hotel while in our area.
Alexandria, Louisiana
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Will never stay here again. Upon arrival, the receptionist was more concerned about getting off shift in an hour than helping me out. She did not tell me any of the information about the hotel or what time breakfast is served, like any hotel employee that has been to hospitality school would do. All of the equipment in the gym is broken except for one treadmill and despite several weeks of business travel, the signs saying the repairman has been called never budged. The rooms are filfthy- the floors are sticky (even the carpet) the rooms are missing things like channel lists, menus/phone numbers for the pizza that is advertized on the desk stand, even when set to full blast, the alarm clock isn't louder than a whisper, the maids are lazy and forgetful- not replacing towels when they remove dirty ones from the room- leaving trash cans sitting in the middle of the room, leaving their cleaning spray on the table. One day when I came back to my "cleaned" room, the sheets had fresh brown spots on them that weren't there when I left that morning. The circuit on the air conditioner was broken when I first entered the room. There were bugs everywhere. Look out the window and there are washclothes covered in brown filfth all over the grass behind the hotel. The pool has more sweat from swimmers than water/cleaning chemicals (One dense hotel guest actually said "ohh this is a salt water pool, my momma has one of those"... yea it wasn't salt water). The A/C unit and fridge in the room were extremely loud, waking me up several times during the night. I was leaving for work one morning as they were setting up breakfast (They should set it up earlier than they do in my opinion) and politely asked if I could take a cup of cereal with me and was rudely yelled at that I had to wait until breakfast was set up... Meanwhile the cereal is sitting right on the counter infront of the lady- not like I was asking for the hot breakfast items. Then when I had to extend my business trip it took three times of talking to rude and in competant employees who promised they'd check and get back to me if a room was available before they finally charged my credit card for the extra nights without telling me/checking if the room they found was acceptable for me since it wasn't the same type of room I had booked. It is insane what kind of hospitality being a polite/patient hotel guest gets you around here- not impressed at all, maybe I need to start yelling and being rude to get treated like a normal human being around here.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear angry g,

Ben J
Fort Worth, Texas, United States
Reviewed June 17, 2013

At check-in the desk clerk and a housekeeper where too busy degrading a fellow employee. I was not treated as a platinum member of this hotel group nor on this very hot day was I offered a bottle of water. The next morning I was awakened to the staff yelling to each other down the hallway. And my bill was under the door. I called the front desk. They had realized that I was staying an extra day using points, but would not make me move since it was not my fault. I consider points hard earned not a default. Also what is up with the stained entrance and rank and unkempt flowers. THANK GOD THERE IS NOW A CANDLEWOOD!

Room Tip: Stay next door at the Candlewood!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Theressa C,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am sorry to hear you were not satisfied with your stay and in particular with the benefits you are entitled to as a valued IHG Rewards Club Platinum member. We do always ensure we provide the benefits according to each level of our loyalty scheme. Please accept our sincere apologies for the challenges you experienced with our staff. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests.

We value you as a IHG Rewards Club Platinum member and hope you will continue to choose IHG for your future travel needs.

Lera P