“Just plain shabby” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 24 Hotels in Alexandria
Washington, DC
“Just plain shabby”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

I have to be in Alexandria twice a year and I'm trying different hotels. I won't go back to this one.

Let me tell you the positives first: the staff are wonderful. Friendly, helpful, etc. They have one of the larger pools I've ever seen at a hotel. You can actually swim laps in it (though you have to work around the rope across the middle). Loved that.

That's it for the good stuff. My non-smoking room smelled musty and faintly of smoke. I don't think anyone has smoked in there in a while. I suspect they haven't changed the carpet from when it was a smoking room and I'm willing to bet that carpet is at least 20 years old.

No alarm clock. One chair, though another one magically appeared on Saturday while I was out. Not sure what that was about.

The tub drained incredibly slowly. In fact, it couldn't keep up while I took my shower. At the end of a 10-minute shower I had water over my ankles. When I left the room 20 minutes later, it was still draining. I thought maybe the drain wasn't open. It was completely unscrewed, I presume by the previous guest.

The toilet ran, quietly but perpetually, the whole time I was there.

The towels were old and looked like they had been laundered but there were shadows/spots of old soiling that would no longer come out. Same with the bath mat.

The "chain" for the door (not an actual chain, one of those solid metal things that have replaced chains) was broken. The metal, about 1/4 inch thick, looked like it had been sawed through. I discovered this when I went to bed the first night. I didn't feel like waiting up for maintenance so I mentioned it the next morning and they did replace it that day.

The sinks were not completely wiped clean by housekeeping. It looked like someone -- housekeeping or the previous guest -- had poured coffee in the sink and had just splashed water on it to get it out. It needed to be wiped out.

There were two toilet paper rolls. One was empty. I only need one but, um, if there are two shouldn't there be toilet paper on both of them???

The internet was slow to connect (10-15 minutes?) but worked well after that. The breakfast was fairly standard.

I don't think it's the staff. I think it's the owners. I think they're cheap. They own the Ramada next door, which is tired rather than shabby (a 1/2 step up). I'll keep looking in Alexandria for my fave hotel. This isn't even close

Room Tip: There aren't any.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
patnallramada, General Manager at Super 8 Alexandria, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thank you so much for your comments! We have made a list of the things that you mentioned and we are going over them with housekeeping and our maintenance department. We are aware of the shape of the carpet and trying out best to work on getting it replaced! We are so very sorry that you didn't have a good stay with us and we hope that in the future you will give us another shot. Thanks again for all of your very helpful comments!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Shreveport
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

The staff is great. We have stayed there a few times and have never had any complaints. It's a nice place to stay if you visit Alexandria. The room was clean, bed comfortable. The bathroom is clean. The wifi is great. We have stayed at places that we had to sit outside our room to get signal, thankfully not here. Front desk staff is always super nice and willing to accommodate us. Their free continental breakfast is also great.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
patnallramada, General Manager at Super 8 Alexandria, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thank you so much for your comments and we hope to see you next time you come to Alexandria!