“This hotel was in a perfect location! It is located near...”
Review of Super 8 Alexandria

Super 8 Alexandria
Ranked #20 of 24 Hotels in Alexandria

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Kempner, Texas, United States
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Where to begin.....lets see. We check in and the CSR, Mike, I believe was his name, was great. No problems there. We get to our room and there it began. We decided to stay at this hotel because our cousin had told us how fantastic the pool was and our boys wanted to swim. I should have known something was up when we got such a cheap rate. We go into our room and the first thing I noticed was the bathroom floor was damp, a greasy type film covered it. Quick fix, damp towel fixed it up. The rooms were run down and could use a good remodel. The plus side, and the only one that I can really add, is that the patio door in back led straight to the pool.

Now to the fun, the swimming area. As long as you don't mind your little kids getting assaulted while trying to swim, it's a great place. There was a huge family reunion going on and people were all having a great time, then random people come off the street with back packs and change there at the pool area and swim. While my boys were in the shallow area trying to swim and a group of about 10 people, age ranged from middle teens to adults, start rough housing. I don't mean just wrestling and dunking each other, I mean all out ROUGH HOUSING. One man was taking young girls, grabbing them by the neck, picking them up in the air and slamming them into the pool repeatedly. The rest of the group was running and doing cannon balls and back flips into the shallow area. My youngest son was standing by the side and when the man picked up one young girl and slammed her in the water, he missed my sons head by only a few inches. I made my sons move to the deep end thinking they would be safer. NOT! The said adults in the shallow end picked up a plastic buoy from the side and start to toss it back and fourth into the deep end near my kids again. Needless to say I pulled my kids fro the pool and called security. They came and asked them to settle down, which they did for all of 5 minutes until the security man left. We waited a couple of hours until it cleared out a little, just as we started to walk back to the pool a fresh group of pool crashers showed up with back packs and proceeded to intrude on the guests pool time. My husband called the front desk and they sent the security guard with a room list to empty out the people that are not guests in the hotel. With the pool now pretty much empty now, we were able to enjoy a little pool time with the kiddos. After the pool closes its another story. I stepped out on the patio to smoke and there are homeless people sleeping less than 50 feet from where we are sleeping and I realized that patio door is broken and there are holes where the locks are suppose to be. the only thing that secures the door is a chain lock.

Now the man who works the night shift, my sons and myself went to the lobby to get snacks from the vending area and to ask for extra towels. I took the wet towels that we used at the pool and put them in a laundry bag to exchange them for dry towels. I was told that he could not exchange them, I was given 1 towel and told that housekeeping was the only ones that could exchange towels......I call [--]. He told me I could just hang the wet towels on the shower and let them dry and use them in the morning. Now, I have worked in the hotel industry for over 15 years, I know for a fact that when a guest brings wet towels up they can be exchanged. I understand that some guests will abuse the towels and keep all of them, but when a guest brings towels up they will be exchanged. Next, the man then decided to go into the lobby and sit down and get on the computer. I put a dollar in the machine and the skittles bag got stuck and was hanging there. He did nothing to help. I bumped it, my son bumped it over and over. For a good 5 minutes we beat on this machine with the CSR sitting less than 5 feet from us. I finally had to ask him to help. He walked up and said, word for word, "Get out of the way." He then proceeded to tilt the machine, which worked and I appreciate it, but really, do you have to finish updating your Facebook status before helping someone? Yes, I could see what you were doing on the computer. Check out was okay and like I said, you get what you pay for. The fantastic pool is great, but not worth taking the chance of my kiddos getting hurt. Management should really buckle down and evaluate what is going on in his hotel. This place has great potential and I would love to say that if I come stay again there has been a big improvement with security and guest services.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
s8macarthur, General Manager at Super 8 Alexandria, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
I'm sorry you had bad time at pool. We do our best to keep people out that does not belong but they do slip in sometimes.I'm also sorry my desk clerk was rude. I have had a talk with him. WE will take all your comments and use them to improve. Hope to see you again