“Very reasonable”

Ranked #21 of 24 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed October 12, 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Super 8
s8macarthur, General Manager at Super 8 Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Reviewed October 5, 2012

I had a Dr appointment there so I spent one night in town. I chose super 8 because of the price. When we checked in and got to the room the first thing I saw was the table and chairs on the bed strike 1. When I went to take a shower there was no towels are wash clothes strike 2. When I was getting out of the shower I noticed there was an empty soap package in the upper corner of the shower along with a shampoo bottle it had not been cleaned strike 3. I looked at the coffee pot and there was something all over the wall I did not check to see what is was but it did not look good strike 4. Next time I have to be in Alexandria I will either make the trip a round trip that day are I will pay more to get a clean room.

Room Tip: As a US veteran I would not stay here
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

I'm sorry that your stay was not up to expeciations. I will take care of all the problems you had and try our best to correct all of the. We do appreciate your business and thank you for letting us know your concerns.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

We ;just needed a place to stay for a night so we could attend a funeral. Super 8 had a great price for a King non-smoking room. Even had a complimentary breakfast. Room was comfortable and bed was pretty good. The staff overall was very pleasant and accommodating.

The free WiFi was very nice and worked very well with my computer and also my phone.

The parking lot is lighted very well and that tends to increase security. We felt very safe and secure during our stay.

The breakfast person lacked a little on personality, but we made it ok. If you just need a good clean place to stay, this is the place to chose.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Super 8
s8macarthur, General Manager at Super 8 Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Thank you so much for the nice comments. Those re good to hear. Hope you come to see us agin soon.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

i was looking for a cheap place to stay and i never expected to find such a deal. When i walked in to the front i was met with a very cortious person (karen). She tried to find me the best deal that she had avalible and once i paid she showed me where the breakfast room was, because the kids were hungry. Then she told me how to get to the pool and gave me suggestions on things to do. The room was nice and big with pretty apolstry, it seemed like it was reasontly remodeled. the beds were comfy and warm and it had fast access to the pool so the kids played outside all day i would recomend this hotel to everyone i know that is going through alexandria. thanx one again.

Room Tip: get a room in the middle because theres less traffic noise and fast access to everything.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
s8macarthur, General Manager at Super 8 Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Thank you so much for your great comments. We apprecaite your business and hope to see you soon

Reviewed August 15, 2012

We had doctor appts in the area so we were there for 2 nights. Now, check-in with Shannon FAST, we were in the room within minutes of arrival. That is after fighting with the card reader on the room door for 5 minutes. The room looked clean but just felt, well, grungy. It was super hot and humid so I let that slide. We hauled our junk in and just wanted to settle down now for the evening, and the hunt for the remote to the TV began. No remote. So call Shannon and tell her there is no remote and she wants to know if WE had looked in the drawers and under the bed. We had but really not our job. I told her so and she said when her guy comes back she will have him bring on down and program it for us. NEVER happened. Also when I called about 3 hours later to check on her guy, by that time we had figured out that BOTH chairs in the room were broken and unsafe to sit in. Asked about replacing those, and we were once again placed in the hands of the phantom, GUY. Tired we just decided to call it day and start again in the morning. PLUS: comfortable bed. MINUS: If we did not have the dogs with, I really do not think I would have gotten any sleep. There are sliding glass doors that go out to the pool area, and there is a kind of park like setting. Outside were seasoned drunks, hanging around drinking. Not noisy just made us uncomfortable.

Ok, morning is here and I call the desk about the remote and the chairs. Karen is very apologetic about this and is going to remove our pet charge for our troubles, I'll get to that later. So we go the first appt thinking that when we are done we can call Karen and this mysterious guy will finally come with the remote and chairs. Dogs were left in the room because it was too hot for them to be left in the truck. Anyway, We get back and again minutes to get in the door and the dogs going nuts cause we are back. Finally get in. Call again, still no one to bring the remote. So we were stuck on the Olympics, guess it could have been worse. Time now to leave out for the next appt and off we go. On the way back we had decided we really didn't want to do anything other than maybe swim, so we stop at the store to get some junk food for the night. Get back to the room, neighbors both side have "Sleep is Super" signs on their doors and the dogs are going ballistic because now we cannot get in at all. Being smokers we are segregated to the rooms furthest from the office, but off the hubby goes to get them to redo our key card, while I try to quiet the dogs and watch our grocery bags. 10 mins later here he comes and again must fight with the reader to get the door open. Yay! We are finally in! Set down, make some coffee (we had to buy), and feed the dogs, chill.

Off to the pool, glad we brought our own towels cause we would have been out of luck if not. The pool was good, fairly clean but the poolside furniture, broken-down, dirty, just totally neglected. Swam for about an hour and the people from the Ramada were starting to come over to join the worker staying at Super 8 and bringing coolers of alcohol, time to go to our room.

We left on Friday morning the 10th of August, I again told them of the concerns, so maybe the next victim will have chairs to sit on and a remote to change channels with. I was given my receipt stating we had just paid $107.56 for 2 nights, agreed.

Now the fun part: Sunday the 12th I checked my bank account. They had charged me $127.56 and another charge of $20.00. Not right, so I immediately called the location and was told that I would have to talk to Pat...tomorrow. I finally did on Monday and she argued with me that they did not charge my account those amounts. Funny my bank identified the location along with the amounts. When pushed, she apologized, of course I was angry and threatened to call the Attorney General about credit card fraud, but she would call the worker at the other location and have those reversed right now. So a few hours later I check the account and there are TWO additional charges of $20.00 each paid to them. Wait a minute here, huh? Call them again and again. Call my bank. Give Pat a fax number for the bank, so she can send a letter...whatever. So I was initially overcharged $40 now it has become $80 and I am told by Pat very snidely, to call the lady at my bank so she can explain to me how the account works Sorry, enough is enough, I SNAPPED! Well as of today the 15th of August I finally have the funds corrected, but I still filed a report with the AG here cause there is something very fishy going on there and since the majority of those staying there are workers, I believe companies are being ripped off. This needs to be checked into thoroughly.

Stay elsewhere but not the Ramada. Pat is in charge of there also apparently!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Im sorry you had prpblem at out hotel, but I did fix all your problems on CC. Did not know you had problems with everything thing else until you posted on line, never was anything said to me about any problems . I wish we could have fixed whatever it was because we would have surely tried to take care of it. Thank you so much for your comments and I will try to take steps to correct all the problems you said you had. I appreciate your comments.

Reviewed July 22, 2012

The rooms were terrible!!!! Dirty, old, stinky, awful!!!! We stayed because of the cheap price, now I know why it is so cheap! Would never stay here again!! Also check-in took 30 mins. Really?!? Worst place I have ever stayed!!!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Fmwalker
s8macarthur, General Manager at Super 8 Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

I m very sorry you did not have a good experience at our hotel. WE are trying to update and it does take time and yes we are little older but still very clean

Reviewed July 12, 2012

I was in town for 3 days and was looking for an economical place to stay, but clean and safe. I called the Super 8 on Mcarthur and talked to Karen the front desk attendant. She was extremely kind and helpful, answering all my questions. I decided to go by and look. I had never stayed at a Super 8 and was skeptical. Again, Karen was very pleasant and went out of her way to make me feel comfortable staying here. Room was big, clean and the a/c was awesome!!! Next time I stay in Alex, I'm staying here!! Thanks Karen!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Russ T

Thank you so very much for your very nice comments. WE appreciate your business and hope to see you soon again