“Outstanding Stay!!”

Comfort Suites Alexandria
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed July 27, 2009

I have to admit, I was skeptical of booking this hotel because of the reviews. My family and I were pleasantly surprised!! We needed a large suite and those are hard to come by in Alexandria. We were in town for a family reunion. We needed an accessible room because my dad is disabled. The room was clean and spacious. We had a 2 king bed suite w/ a separate room for 1 of the beds. The room also included a couch, mini fridge & microwave.

The front desk clerk was very welcoming and friendly. Nice touch with the fresh baked cookies! The free breakfast was great as well, and the attendant was delightful!!

Will stay here again for our reunion next year!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed July 6, 2009

July 4th weekend, 2009 with my daughter’s softball team. We checked in on Friday and out on Sunday. On Saturday, the maid knocked on our door really early, at 9:00 am, and asked my husband if we needed anything. Having been woken by her early arrival, his response was "Sleep". She apologized for waking us and he closed the door. At 2:30 we returned from the ball park to find our room the same way we left it at 11:00. The maid was in the hall vacuuming so I asked her if she was going to clean my room. She said no, that we signed off and she was about to leave for the day. I asked my husband and he said he signed nothing and repeated to her what I mentioned above. She asked me what I wanted her to do. I said that my beds were unmade, the garbage was full and I had no towels. After returning, she HANDED me our towels, said that she would empty the garbage, but that she talked to her boss, Chris, and he said that she didn’t have to clean my room. I went speak with Chris about paying $149/night, which was inflated due to the holiday weekend, and that I expect full service and that towels and emptying garbage was unacceptable. He said he would fix it. He spoke with our maid and she returned to make the beds and she emptied my garbage, which is far from full service. Later I found out that the maids did that with every person from our ball team, but no one else talked to Chris, they signed off, received towels but no other service. I even talked to my neighbor who was from another ball team. They were not there when the maids knocked on the door, but still received NO service. They had to pick their towels up at the front desk. But other than the maids, the front desk workers were great, even Chris, the hotel is really nice, the rooms are big, the height of the hotel gives the pool and pool area shade from the evening sun. The breakfast is great. I would stay again; I would just make sure to put a note on your door or communicate to the front desk requesting a delayed house cleaning. I paid good money for this hotel and I expected to get what I paid for.

• Stayed: July 2009
Reviewed April 19, 2009

This is a seemingly new property a few miles north of Alexandria across the street from what seems like a truck stop since there were several huge 18 wheelers parked along the street in front of the hotel. Also, since the hotel is located between an interstate and a railroad (yes, near a crossing where the train must bellow each time it passes), this isn't the quietest stay I've ever had, to say the least.

First the good: the rooms were nice with flat screen TVs, a small fridge and microwave. The rooms were kept clean, but BOTH days someone who seemed to be a housekeeping manager walked right in without knocking or announcing. There is a free continental breakfast off of the lobby with a very nice lady keeping items stocked. I tipped her a couple of bucks and felt sorry for her since there were a table of seedy truckers being overly demanding and obnoxious.

The not so good: Though the food was fine for breakfast, there were these single serving peanut butter containers that had a layer of what looked like oil on top and very hard peanut butter on bottom. I asked the attendant about this and whether there was any other for my toast. I was told that was all they had. Since this was just after the scare of tainted peanut butter, I was concerned that this was a health issue and made the front desk personnel aware of this. There was no action, since the same peanut butter was there the next morning. When I asked the front desk personnel about this again, I was told that the manager said that more peanut butter would not be ordered until this (inedible) product was gone. I know this sounds trivial, but people were recently dying after ingesting tainted peanut butter across the U.S. and I was amazed that the management could be putting 'guests' in jeopardy just to save a few dollars (literally).

Any of the other shortcomings (noise, location, indifferent front desk personnel) would have made me think twice about staying there again, but the fact that management puts bucks ahead of safety of the guest will keep me from there in the future.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 12, 2009

I recently stayed in Alexandria with a large group of sports teams. We had a phemominal stay, and the staff was willing to help us in everyway. Very pleasant stay!

• Stayed: April 2009
Reviewed March 16, 2009

Wow, I just read the negative review below and I can relate. I wasn't going to state the name of the manager here, but it is the same one mentioned in the previous review, Chris Patel. I have been staying at the Comfort Suites for an extended period of time with a team of engineers, architects and others working on a series of projects in the area. This past weekend, I received a phone message and an email from my supervisor that Mr. Patel told HIM (not me) that I am taking a pet in and out of the hotel?!?! Of course, I was incensed that (1) hotel management could make such a false assumption and (2) Mr. Patel would slander me and share this fallacy with a third party! Mr. Patel did not return my two requests to contact me on this, so I just phoned him. He stated that his night auditor saw "evidence" of this and that they have security tape of me carrying a "concealed" pet in baggage that looks suspicious since I "check the halls" before I exit the stairwell "like I'm hiding a pet". What??? (Again, for the record, I have NO pet in my room.) I explained to Mr. Patel that often when I leave the hotel, I have three black bags hung on my shoulder, two containing laptops and the third is a satchel with my work files and papers. I hesitate at the heavy door at the bottom of the stairwell to make sure that I don't bang them on the door frame or door as it automatically closes and to make sure I don't get in anyone's way with all that I am carrying. I asked Mr. Patel if he ever saw a pet or did he just make it up in his own mind. He said he saw a "concealed pet"...I asked how could he see it if it was concealed...again, he stated because how I was acting when I carried my bags. After a few minutes of Mr. Patel's belligerent, nonsensical and demeaning double-talk, he asked me what I wanted him to do. I told him all I want is an apology and to tell my supervisor that he is mistaken. Guess what?...he refused to do either...this is the guy who runs (and maybe owns) this hotel! He had two employees in my room for about 20 minutes four days ago doing maintenance and housekeeping is in often, but he apparently didn't think to actually ask someone who could have possibly seen a pet in my room. I am sure I am over-reacting, but I am considering contacting an attorney for slander. Moving on, the previous reviewers opinion and observations on other personnel here goes back to their manager, Mr. Patel, in my opinion. I do want to say that the lady that manages the continental breakfast is terrific and goes the extra mile, but she is the exception at this property. In closing, my advice is to only stay here (maybe) if it is the absolute last resort and you are desperate and you receive a great discount and are careful. Otherwise, I recommend the Hampton Inn on the opposite side of the main road off of I-49 (where I stayed for a couple of weeks earlier). By the way, the Super 8 next to the Comfort Suites is also affiliated with Mr. Patel. Also, not that hotel management can do anything about this, but this hotel is about 100 yards from a railroad crossing. If you want a quiet morning/afternoon/night...this is not the place. I have met others in the elevator who are shocked by the noise from the railroad. Ironically, it could be quieter on the interstate side of this building. (Before I could hit 'send', a train just blew by the hotel with horn blowing...ironic.) AVOID. AVOID. AVOID. You will by spied on and evaluated by Mr. Patel and he has zero discretion about to whom he will share his odd "observations" that he fabricates in his mind. I've stayed this long because my team is here, but I am leaving ASAP.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank mrvandelay
Reviewed January 22, 2009

WOW what an experience that I am continuing to deal with 2 weeks after my brief and unfriendly stay. If you are looking for a headache then you came to the right hotel. My wife and I after traveling for 16 hours and based on prior experiences with the brand of Comfort Suites decided to stop at the Comfort Suites in Alexandria. Mistake number 1. When we walked into the hotel there was no front desk clerk or for that matter anyone at or near the front desk. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a lady come walking out of a very dark area of the hotel with a cell phone to her ear talking to someone. We were not even acknowledged or greeted in any fashion. This lady walked around to what must have been the office door and proceeded to the front desk with the cell phone still glued to here ear and talking away. After several minutes she put down the phone down and asked if she could help, we inquired about a room and told the rate. I looked at my wife and we decided that based on the rate quoted which seemed fair, but over priced for the hotel we decided to take the room. Mistake number 2. My wife presented her credit card and we were given a room, and told rather rudely and unprofessional that it was around the corner. After searching for 5 minutes for the room, as we walked up and down the hallway looking for our room, we found an elevator and proceeded up to the second floor as we could not locate the room on the first floor and now having a good idea of the floor plan opened our room. My wife and I both looked at each other closed the door and left, Returning to the front desk to leave the hotel and hopefully never have to deal with the place again. Mistake number 3. Of course upon our return to the front desk we again found no one around and again the desk clerk coming out of a dark corner of the hotel with her cell phone glued to here ear. My wife informed the lady that we would not be staying. The clerk issued us a blank folio and told my wife that she would be charged $25.00 for registering in the hotel. WHAT a joke, I have never heard of such thing in my life. Both my wife and I felt threatened for our lives, and I demanded that the police are called so that we could rectify the situation. After waiting for 15 minutes, we decided to leave and deal with the issue with Comfort Suites corporate office. Mistake number 4. Did you know that Comfort Suites are individually owned and each property can and does make there own decisions on weather to charge you or not. Well Customer service at the corporate level was as equally bad as the service at the hotel which leads me to believe that guest service is not a virtue of the Comfort Suites motto if they even have one. The General Manger Chris Patel would not even talk to my wife or me about the issues and our reasons for leaving. Let me just say that if you do not value your life or security try the Comfort Suites Alexandria LA. To make matter worse the Comfort Suites in Alexandria decided to charge us for the room for a 12 minute stay. We did not even go into the room or use any service expect the precious ink from the dirt pen provided to us to sign the folio. We are currently fighting this through our credit card company for FRAUD, and based on the information from corporate support we will peruse legal actions against the owners and General Manger. STAY AWAY from this place.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank smurfmee
Reviewed August 9, 2008

We stayed at this hotel while passing through Louisiana, en route to Texas.

It was around 11:00 pm when I walked in and asked for a room. Jennifer (at front desk) could not have been warmer or more accomodating...
which was quite welcome by our tired family. BTW...Hotels.com told us there were no available rooms at this hotel when we called en-route. Decided to stop in and check for ourselves. Very glad we did!

Our room was absolutely lovely. King-sized bed with wonderful comforter/pillows. Nice fold-out sofa with especially soft blanket for our two young children. And, even with our late check-in, Jennifer even offered to send snacks for our kids before they went to bed. Breakfast was included...waffle-maker, sausage, fruit, muffins, milk, juices, etc. The hotel was quiet, well-decorated and seemed to be in a safe location. Didn't really see much of the pool, but it certainly looked nice enough.

Would definately stay here again. And, Comfort Suites price was well below nearby Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family