“Average hotel near I-49”

Comfort Suites Alexandria
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed July 4, 2012

We stayed at the Comfort Suites in Alexandria for two nights in June when we were attending a sports tournament, and I was not especially impressed with the hotel. I think that the manager and/or owner needs to do a serious and honest evaluation of this property.

While the housekeepers seemed very nice, the front desk staff was not particularly friendly. I also noticed throughout my stay that at least two or three employees lounged around in the breakfast area watching TV in the afternoons and evenings. This is not professional!

Although the lobby was clean, well-decorated, and inviting, the carpet in the hallways needs to be cleaned. There were many obvious stains.

Our room was large, but it was not fancy (actually just what I expected from a Comfort Suites). It was comfortable and serviceable. I liked having an in-room safe and a small refrigerator. My bed was fine, but I didn't sleep well because a train runs behind the hotel.

I must point out some issues. My husband asked for extra towels--and got them--but we didn't use them when I realized how stained they were. (A couple of them had something brown and gooey--and fresh--on them.) Even the towels that appeared reasonably clean were very thin and shabby.

I took my nephew to the pool on Saturday morning only to discover a sign that said the pool deck was open only from 3:00 P. M. until 10:00 P. M.! These hours seemed rather strange!

The breakfast was terrible. I hate to waste food, but I had to throw away the eggs and sausage because they were inedible. We did not take advantage of the (included in the room rate) breakfast the second day; instead, we went to the nearby McDonald's.

This hotel served its purpose: It provided us a no-frills place to stay for a weekend. I don't think that there are any really luxurious properties in Alexandria, so this hotel is probably no better or no worse than the other local accommodations. Nevertheless, it could be a much nicer place with some cleaning, some upgrades, and some staff training.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Chelley14
There are newer reviews for Comfort Suites Alexandria

Reviewed May 24, 2012

We were very impressed by this hotel, and thought it very good value for money, especially compared to New Orleans hotels. Staff were very welcoming and helpful, the room was quiet and very well maintained, and the bed was very comfortable. The hotel was ideally situated for exploring the Kisatchie National Forest, which was the reason for our visit. Breakfasts were good.

Other reviewers commented on the noise from the trains, which run down the track quite close to the hotel and hoot for the level crossing not far from the hotel, so in the night the one or two trains that pass are really impossible to sleep through for light sleepers like ourselves. However we did not feel that this was a major factor, and, apart from the odd train, the hotel was very quiet at nights and we slept very well overall.

We would consider returning to this hotel, and would recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: As you enter the hotel the rooms nearest the railway line are to the right.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 6, 2012

Entered Hotel @ roughly 6:30 Pm to check in. No one was at the front desk to check me in. I rang the bell and waited another few minutes for the clerk to finally arrive. When she did show up, she reeked of smoke. First, she couldn't find my reservation, then she gave me a room. When I entered “My” room I was shocked to find that it was already occupied by another customer. Luckily the guy was just sitting on the bed watching TV, but it could have been much worse. I informed the clerk of the situation to which she replied there shouldn't be anyone in there; are you sure? She said she didn't show that there was anyone in the room according to her system . I asked if she would like to go see for herself. She gave me a new room. How does this happen?

Room Tip: Ask for one that is not already occuppied
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
6  Thank ScottB091
Reviewed November 14, 2011

Greeted on Nov 14 by a charming young lady, with professional style and flair in dealing with my reservations. I believe her name was reacia. The hotel decor is upscale with plenty of space in lobby for all to enjoy. Rooms are huge with sitting area and two queen beds, and desk.

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank hhowler
Reviewed October 19, 2011

WE stayed here on Business and brouht teenage Grandkids with us .Everyone was so nice and courteous , The maids were great and very helpfull the room was spacious and very clean, most hotels the carpets are so dirty you,ll ruin your socks not a problem here and the breakfast is wonderful scrambled and boiled eggs bacon or sausage ,waffles, muffins, yogurt,milk,chocolate milk,fruit cereal ,bagels,bisquits and more.From now on we will be staying here when in the area .clean and beautiful outdoor pool.Has everything anyone could need.The train others complained about were so few not a problem not that loud. Really enjoyed our stay and we stay in hotels every week.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank traveler-pair
Reviewed October 13, 2011

Comfort Suites is usually a pretty good place, so we booked the one in Alexandria, LA on our way to Florida. We got in late and were rudely greeted by the front desk guy with the words "can I help you?", but an attitude of "do I really have to stand up?" When asked about discounts, he said "we don't do discounts". No AAA, AARP, government - nothing. "Take it or leave it" was the bored, condescending look. It was late, we had no real choice.

The room looked OK at first, but on closer inspection it seemed the bed linens had been worn out and discolored about a year ago. Likewise the bath towels - some of which were even tattered and shredding. I suppose it goes with living in the swamps of Louisiana, but there was mold in pretty much every corner.

There was supposed to be a hot breakfast, and there was - sort of. We went down around mid-breakfast time: 8:00am, and said "good morning" to the server as she walked by us. I could have sworn she snarled! Every table and chair was dirty. Every trash bin overflowing. All the hot food was out. No bread, no eggs, no waffle mix, a few doughnuts and old fruit. Etc, etc, etc.

My only guess is that either this poor girl was working alone and was called in at the last minute, or the breakfast hour started with a couple of busloads of high school football players who trashed the place and ate everything.

As we checked out, we mentioned everything to the front desk. The reply was a dismissive, "oh, I'm sorry. Have a nice day." If we didn't have a long drive before us, we would have complained longer and louder. But I had the feeling it wouldn't matter anyway - the employees clearly did not care one iota.

Room Tip: a different hotel would be a way to get a good room
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
8  Thank Bob d
Reviewed September 17, 2011

Entering the hotel and then our room, my impression was that this is a lovely place, and it really is. What ruined the experience for me is the trains that roll by during the night. Because there is a crossroad very close by, I'm sure trains are required to sound their whistles, but this noise doesn't lend itself to guests having a good night's sleep. There are several other hotels right in the same area, so the problem is a general one. I just hope I won't have an occasion to spend a night in this area again any time soon.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends