“Simple, but one of the best anywhere!”

Dupuy's Oyster Shop
Ranked #2 of 51 Restaurants in Abbeville
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Lafayette, LA
“Simple, but one of the best anywhere!”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We went to Dupuy’s last night for the first time in a long time. My question would be why we waited so long to return? There are hundreds of good restaurants within 50 miles of our home. Sometimes we just forget about some of the old standards. Dupuy’s, which opened in 1869 is more than a standard, it is one of the places that sets the standard by which all other “Cajun” restaurants should be judged.

We had a party of 24 people so we did have to wait a considerable amount of time to get a table. No problem, just go over to the new beautiful bar and make yourself comfortable. There was a little nook in the back where some of us “older folk” could sit on a sofa and chairs while the younger people enjoyed themselves. The drinks were good, the bartenders more than friendly, and the atmosphere in the bar is outstanding. I will say that our 40 minute wait was really more like 75 minutes, but how many times on a Saturday night do you walk into a popular restaurant with 24 people and not get laughed at by the hostess. They were so friendly, and good company made the 75 minutes pass quickly.

After our wait they actually got us all seated together (miracle on a Saturday evening) and yes, our table got a bit loud at times. I think they were thinking of charging the rest of the patrons a cover charge as some of the young people in our party entertained the entire restaurant. At one point we were even joined at our table by a couple from Morse whom we had just met in the bar. Basically speaking we had a blast.

The food, how was the food? Hmmmmm….. on a scale of 1-10 this place was a 12! Was it expensive? By the standards of our area is was very average. My bill went over $125 for three people, but remember we were in the bar for 75 minutes, and we were with a birthday party and I bought some drinks for the two birthday guests. I’m pretty sure my bar tab was over $70.

A portion of our party was from New Orleans and they had driven 5 hours on icy highways in the winter storm of January 2014 to get here for dinner. The gentleman in that portion of our party said “It was worth the drive to Lafayette and Abbeville just to eat at Dupuy’s” and then announced he would be back soon! Several other people had never been to Dupuy’s and I was questioned as to why I had never brought them here before? Needless to say everyone was happy!

The food in my three immediate family members was a fried catfish platter ($14.50), Fried Stuffed Shrimp Platter ($14.50) and the Crab Combo which ran about $21.00 (market price). All of our dinners were OUTSTANDING. I will say my lump crab had a little shell in it but that is really picky. The weakest part of the dinner was the crab au gratin and it was still very good. I will say that these same meals in Lafayette would have cost $2-3 more at most of our restaurants.

The thing I will always love the most about Dupuy’s is the atmosphere. You smell it when you park your car. There is something comforting about this place from the second you enter the doors. They have done some serious renovations here in the past couple years, but it still has the charm that you expect from a visit to an old place like this. You feel like you are eating at home, or even better, like you are eating at Grandma’s house.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank bandman

Tupelo, Mississippi
“Best crab cakes ever!”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Some locals recommended this place and also the crab cakes. It is very authentic feeling, not at all touristy. Perhaps a bit pricey, but well worth it. Our waitress was friendly and very efficient, the crab cakes were chock full of crabmeat, not a lot of filler as we have had before. All of the food coming to the tables around us looked delicious also. We would highly recommend DuPuy's!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Cabingal55
Louisville, Kentucky
“Family Outing”
Reviewed December 18, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

This is our annual Thanksgiving family get together and we always go to Dupuys one night during that week. It is always a very good experience. The atmosphere is always inviting and seems like old friends. The addition of the bar area this year was a real treat. It opened up the place and made it less crowded. The food was very well prepared as usual and we have never been disappointed. The staff was and service was excellent. They made you feel like you were old friends. There were 6 of us and we could not have asked for a more attentive wait staff. Once again we were not disappointed. Each person's food was prepared to their satisfaction. All good. We will continue to visit Dupuys each year that we can get together.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Byron M
Abbeville, Louisiana
“Great food!”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

I eat here often. Everything on the menu is delicious. Last time I went I ordered the seafood pasta and it was great! Service was good too.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Jessica K
Sugar Land, TX
“Best in Lafayette Area”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I've eaten several things from here. The first time I ate here the food was so good I thought I would PASS OUT from the SHOCK.

• Visited August 2013