“Boring taste” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shucks The Louisiana Seafood

Shucks The Louisiana Seafood
Ranked #1 of 52 Restaurants in Abbeville
Good for: Large groups, Dining on a budget, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Boring taste”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

I guess Cajun people will eat anything, had no taste, had the sample plate, 18$ for something that had no taste just fried plain all tasted the same, and the owner is overly friendly, gumbo was water, the only thing that was good from that costly meal was the bread pudding. Over all, tried it, didn't care for it,, will go some were cheaper

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank northernlov

Abbeville, Louisiana, United States
“new owner sucks”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

the new owners took the great abbeville resturant and totally runnied it ,it was one my my fvorite places to eat in abbeville ,but the menu was changed ,and the prices raised ,and quality went down, should have known this one of the owners had a resturant not far form this one and he had to sell it due to he flopped overthere ,guess he is going to ruin another place too ,fi feel soory for his partner

Visited May 2012
2 Thank Steve L
Melbourne, Australia
“Great Food - Highly Recommend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

Shucks was recommended by the gentleman running the Museum/Information centre (a mine of information about Abbeyville and the South generally).
Very friendly staff and great food, the mixed oyster platter was particularly good and we the shared the seafood platter. This was more than enough for 2 people and well cooked and prepared, unfortunately after our meal we did not have enough room for dessert.

• Visited August 2012
New Westminster B.C.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Loved the food and reasonable prices.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

Don't know what I can add to the great reviews here other than to say that our experience at Shucks was excellent.

We were on an extended road trip and happened on Shucks by chance. David, one of the owners greeted us at the door, and even though the place was nearly full he was very welcoming and made us feel like we were the only people there. Being unfamiliar with Cajun food he took time to explain the menu and said that if he could order for us we wouldn't be dissapointed. He did, and we weren't. We received a sampling of gumbo, oysters, etouffee, and alligator that set a standard that is going to be very tough to beat.

And then there is the bread pudding. Put whatever you think of the humble bread pudding on the back burner and try theirs. You'll be telling grandma to get Shuck's recipe because you won't be eating hers any more.

Shucks was our point of entry to Cajun food, and because of that, we went for Cajun food whenever we could during our stay in Louisiana. Even though we ate in some pretty pricey places in New Orleans and surrounding areas, we never found a restaurant that served better Cajun food, in our opinion.

We found the owners, staff and service to be first class, the food to be delicious and memorable.

• Visited April 2012
Lafayette, Louisiana
“After all the rave reviews, I was disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

Pros:
1) Easy to find, ample parking
2) Nice, clean, fun atmosphere
3) Warm, friendly welcome, and quickly seated
4) Our drink order was taken quickly, and we received them quickly
5) Everyone was extremely nice, the tables had a large number of condiments and extra spices

Cons:
1) Took a long time to place our order. I didn't think our waitress would ever return.
2) We tried the gumbo. It was hot with pepper, but other than that, was very watery and no vegetables. It did have a generous portion of shrimp and oysters. It was very thin, watery, with no much flavor. Very disappointed. We also tried the corn/crab chowder. It was nice and thick, but again was bland in comparison with other area restaurant offerings.
3) Got the salad... it was wrong. They fixed it.
4) Got the entree.... it was wrong. They fixed it. They cooked a whole new entree. By then, my companion was pretty much through with her meal. I had ordered a pasta dish. It again, was bland (subjectively speaking... I like it spicy) and the pasta was overcooked. There was no offer of recompense for me not getting to eat along with my guest. No big deal, but I thought they should have offered.
5) I was taking my last bite, and the waitress handed me my check. I hate that. We had totally planned to try their bread pudding, and she didn't offer dessert at all. It makes me feel like they want me to leave when they do that. We paid and left.

Conclusion:
The restaurant itself was nice. The staff was warm and friendly, but possibly understaffed, given the delays between visits to our table. There were several errors, but they were corrected.

I do plan on trying Shucks again, but sincerely hope I don't have a repeat of the more average experience we had this time.

Try it... they were nice, and the food was pretty good. It just wasn't up to the raves I saw online. Hopefully, it was just "one of those times" that we all seem to catch every once in a while.

Good luck!