“THE place to stay in Abbeville!!”
Review of The Caldwell House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Abbeville
The Caldwell House
Ranked #1 of 2 Abbeville B&B and Inns
Ft Worth Tx
“THE place to stay in Abbeville!!”
Reviewed March 18, 2012

The only reason I gave 5 stars to The Caldwell is because they don't have 6 stars! We were in Abbeville for some weekend birthday activities hosted here & from the time we checked in on Friday until we left on Sunday, the experience at The Caldwell was nothing short of amazing! Party accommodations for 80-125 people on a Sat eve? Not a problem, the accommodations for outside catering & musicians ran smooth as silk! The covered & protected atrium outside handled the main stage perfectly when the evening turned a little "blustery". The rest of the time (Fri, Sat morn & Sun) we were able to enjoy "The Caldwell Experience". If you are a morning person, the east side of the grounds has a sitting area to "wake up" in & enjoy your morning coffee as you prepare for one of the best breakfast dining pleasures you will ever have. I don't know what YOU will have in the mornings, but based on our experiences, you will be more than pleased!! With the wrap around front & side porch and the beautiful grounds, any time of the day is perfect for relaxation. Mae, Carolyn and all of the staff are superb & you instantly feel like part of the family! A BIG Thank You to The Caldwell and all the staff for one of the best "get away" weekends we have ever had! We will be back! Preston & Marsha

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Colorado Springs, CO
Reviewed November 15, 2011

What can be said about The Caldwell House that has not been said before? In reading past reviews, I knew that this place & particularly the people who make it all work, were special. I had been anticipating my stay there for several months as I was planning to attend my 30th high school reunion in the last week of October. However, my expectations were surpassed from the first moment I was welcomed into the Caldwell. Mae, Carolyn & Gretchen are overflowing with southern hospitality and charm. I fell in love with them instantly!

Even more important than the physical property, accommodations or amenities (more about that later), I found the atmosphere and hospitality to be soothing and rejuvenating all at once! How you "felt" in a place, in my opinion, is what you take with you long after your departure. Quite frankly, the Caldwell has it all!

The breakfast was to die for, do you hear!!! Each morning I thought, "It can't GET better than this", and the next morning, I was proven wrong. Delicious, expertly presented, delicious, visually appealing, delicious, lovingly prepared & served and did I mention DELICIOUS???
My room was a perfect blend of modern luxuries and old world charm. The enveloping cloud of a bed that I slept on.....I promise you, if I had not planned so many activities that weekend, I would have rarely left it. The rest of the home is exquisitely designed & decorated with warm earthy undertones showcased with luxurious furnishings and memorable artwork, all of which create a comfortable elegance that permeates the entire property.
The grounds were lush and inviting with soothing water features, inspiring stonework and citrus trees dripping with fruit. I enjoyed coffee with old friends on the wrap around porch one afternoon & I was transported back in time, when "visiting" was an anticipated event instead of something you squeezed in between the "important stuff". Thoroughly enjoyable!

Thanks to Mark & Darlene Frederick (owners of The Caldwell) who hosted our class for an after-party. The venue and execution were perfection. What a wonderful environment for relaxing with old friends, re-living old memories and making new ones. The evening could not have been more spectacular.

I could go on, but I'll leave room for the next lucky person who stays there.
Bottom line: BRAVO Caldwell House and Merci!!!

Mitzi Romanelli
Colorado Springs, Colorado

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 21, 2011

Me and my wife wanted a nice get away n this was the perfect spot. The room was cozy with the fireplace and the bed was soft. The staff was very nice Carolyn and Gretchen and the breakfast was AWESOME!!!

THANKS,
Goree and Gretchen

Room Tip: All Rooms were nice Masters downstairs has a WHIRLPOOL
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Goree A
Hammond, Louisiana
Reviewed March 14, 2011

We stayed here for our annual B& B Anniversary weekend. The home was absolutely beautiful and the staff were top-notch. We had a blustery, rainy day one of our days, but we had the whole house to ourselves, as luckily, the only scheduled guests. That day we had a relaxing time, sipping tea and coffee, reading by the fireplace, and didn't even miss going outdoors. The food was delicious, and Mae and Carol made us feel very welcome and comfortable. When the weather finally cleared we enjoyed exploring the quaint town and beautiful old church in the town square.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wvedec
Guernsey
Reviewed February 18, 2011

We stayed at The Caldwell House for 2 nights as part of a holiday in Texas, Louisiana and Florida. We always use Tripadvisor when booking hotels and the hotels rarely let us down. We chose Abbeville as it was a good half way stop between Galveston and New Orleans. What a good choice! The little town is relaxing, friendly with enough to do and see on a 2 night visit without using the car (we were doing enough driving).

The Caldwell is charming with beautiful rooms and good bedlinen. The staff could not have been nicer. Our only complaint would be the breakfast. There was no choice and the portions were too large and heavy for us. It would not deter us from recommending this B&B but I do think that they should review the breakfasts. We do not expect a huge choice, this is not an hotel, but everything was put before us rather quickly, including the fruit (with cream!) to start with. The staff were so lovely that I feel bad about writing anything negative but as I rely on honest reviews on this website, that I have included this comment.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Lafayette, Louisiana
Reviewed January 28, 2011

My daughter's request during the wedding planning was to find a venue that could be used for bridal dressing and possible overnight stay the day/night of her wedding. The Caldwell house fullfilled this request and so much more. After touring the Caldwell house and visiting with May we decided to purchase the Bridal Accessory package as well as booking rooms for our family to spend the night after the wedding. We arrived to the Caldwell house the afternoon of the wedding day and enjoyed the bridal dressing room for dressing and pictures. It was the perfect place to enjoy such special moments and provided a wonderful background for pre-wedding pictures! Before departing for the ceremony we enjoyed refreshments provided by the staff at the Caldwell. The reception was a short drive away and after the reception we returned to pristine rooms and cozy beds! My daughter and new son in law enjoyed the honeymoon suite on the first floor which was included in the Bridal package and the rest of my family retired to one of a kind rooms with excellent bathrooms on the second floor. The next morning we all enjoyed coffee and a delicious breakfast in the dining room. As we enjoyed breakfast we told stories and shared memories about the wonderful night . Before departing the Caldwell we took a few pictures to capture our last moments of such a wonderful event! Mae and Carolyn were superior hostesses! Thanks to the Caldwell for allowing us to make such beautiful and lifelong memories!

• Stayed January 2011
3 Thank marybroussard1
Mandeville, Louisiana
Reviewed January 17, 2011

We had close to a one month trial in Abbeville, La. The Caldwell House is a short walk from the courthouse. The case involved a great deal of witnessess and attorneys. The Caldwell House proved to be the ideal setting for us throughout the course of the trial. Not only were the staff wonderful, they also arranged for catering which was just great. The staff even took care of our laundry needs. In other words, they took care of every detail so that we could concentrate on our case. It was one of the best decisions we made in the handling of the case in staying at the Caldwell House. The rooms are wonderful, the setting terrific, and the staff took great care of all of us.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank americathebeautiful7
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abbeville
Best Western Abbeville Inn & Suites
Bois Des Chenes Bed and Breakfast
Sunbelt Lodge
Sunbelt Lodge
#4 of 6 in Abbeville

Been to The Caldwell House? Share your experiences!