All reviewsnational parkthe ownerhot watersouth pacificsnorkel geartropical paradiselouvered windowsmy wife and ilodgebendebislandmealsbeachesworldboatstars
Reviewed August 14, 2015 via mobile

This is not the Ritz, this is summer camp in the South Pacific! If you're open to adventure and one of the most beautiful natural beaches in the world, then go to Vaoto Lodge! Just getting there is an adventure. We flew from Pago Pago to Ta'u, then took a van to the dock ($20) and a fishing boat to Ofu ($200 for 4 people). The boat only had a 40hp motor, but we made it without incident. Ben from Vaoto and John, the national park ranger, picked us up at the Ofu dock. Ben and Deb prepared delicious hearty meals for us and there was beer and soda available for purchase. We had lunches packed for us in the morning so we could explore all day. Understand that supplies on the island can sometimes run low and you may not get your favorite beverage but you'll survive! Wi-Fi is okay in the lodge. There is a library with a good assortment of novels and guidebooks. Take a water bottle, shampoo, & snorkel gear. Bedding, towels and meals are provided. Also, walk out on the runway at night and enjoy the stars! Keep phoning until you get a hold of Deb or Ben. They run this place alone, so they can't always answer the phone.

Stayed: August 2015, traveled with friends
5  Thank wyohusker4
Reviewed August 7, 2015 via mobile

The rooms are comfortable, clean & well ventilated but the clincher is they're a 15 minute walk from one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. For a very modest fee all meals are provided & your charming hosts, Deb & Ben, are great cooks. Evening meal is communal and a great opportunity to compare notes with people from around the world. Direct flights land within walking distance from this hotel, however the fishing boats will take you from neighbouring Ta'u in a scenic (if somewhat hair-raising) journey. I can't wait to return to this unspoilt & welcoming piece of paradise - next time for a week.

Stayed: August 2015, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Jackie M
Reviewed July 20, 2015

Vaoto is a very friendly place to stay. It is bare bones, but clean. I echo all the positive things people have had to say about Vaoto. I enjoyed meals and the breeze off the ocean was a delight. Ofu is a pretty island, and Ofu Beach is isolated and beautiful.

The one thing people should know that is not all positive, is it was like pulling teeth to get a reservation (and the same for Polynesian Air as well). They have 7 rooms, and when I was there, 3 were taken by an archaeology team and another 2 by marine biologists, both on extended projects. I think I may have been the sole tourist on the island during my stay.

I have met 3 other people or groups that tried to obtain accommodations here, and none but me were successful. So let me tell you what worked. First I tried the form on the website. It was basically ignored. I got one answer to not try to come out on a Sunday (no planes), but this approach seems a dead end. I then tried their direct email, but that was mostly ignored too, until I had made other contract. What did work was the telephone. Call them. Recognize that they have a whole place to maintain ,and the phone is in the main lodge and in their house, and if nobody is home when you call, try again. But they are very sweet and helpful, once you make contact. And then the direct Hotmail email address seemed to work. I can sympathize: since it is sort of hard to get out to Ofu, and they must get a lot of dead end inquiries, but it was like running an obstacle course to get reserved in both the lodge and also on the plane.

BTW, the wifi in the main lodge was good for email and visiting a few websites.

• Stayed: July 2015, traveled solo
5  Thank NJ-Eric
Reviewed October 3, 2014

I have read all the reviews of other people that have stayed at Vaoto lodge, not much has changed except Ben was flying solo when we were there, so we pretty much took care of our own breakfast and lunch, Ben said ' whatever is in the kitchen is yours to eat' and each evening he would cook dinner for us, although my wife and I cooked a chicken curry one night which Ben was very grateful for.
Favourite things that we did was to take all five dogs for walks, they loved that and would leap around like puppies when I whistled for them. Snorkeling out to the reef was great, and I would quite often bump into the black tipped reef sharks, the closest I got was about 10 feet which made the adrenalin pump a bit, but in all honesty they are more wary of us than we need to be of them.
The beach is lovely, my wife loved just bobbing around in the little waves adjacent to the little beach fale.
The planes are flying again!!! to Ta'u and then you have to get a boat across, do not count on the planes still flying though, and you really do have to check with either Polynesian or inter island airlines, Bens place is lovely, we have only been back a week and I miss it already, not an easy place to get to, but well worth the effort.

Room Tip: All rooms are equal.
  • Stayed: September 2014, traveled as a couple
10  Thank DavidSier
Reviewed April 28, 2014

This lodge has it all- location, service and value. Ben and Marge are two of the sweetest people you can meet in this world. The service is based on your needs and they are willing to take care of it all including home-cooked meals with homemade bread. And the location is stunningly beautiful.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business