All reviewsnational parkthe ownerhot watersouth pacificsnorkel geartropical paradiselouvered windowsmy wife and ilodgebendebislandmealsbeachesworldboatstars
Reviewed August 7, 2015 via mobile

The rooms are comfortable, clean & well ventilated but the clincher is they're a 15 minute walk from one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. For a very modest fee all meals are provided & your charming hosts, Deb & Ben, are great cooks. Evening meal is communal and a great opportunity to compare notes with people from around the world. Direct flights land within walking distance from this hotel, however the fishing boats will take you from neighbouring Ta'u in a scenic (if somewhat hair-raising) journey. I can't wait to return to this unspoilt & welcoming piece of paradise - next time for a week.

Stayed: August 2015, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Jackie M
Reviewed July 20, 2015

Vaoto is a very friendly place to stay. It is bare bones, but clean. I echo all the positive things people have had to say about Vaoto. I enjoyed meals and the breeze off the ocean was a delight. Ofu is a pretty island, and Ofu Beach is isolated and beautiful.

The one thing people should know that is not all positive, is it was like pulling teeth to get a reservation (and the same for Polynesian Air as well). They have 7 rooms, and when I was there, 3 were taken by an archaeology team and another 2 by marine biologists, both on extended projects. I think I may have been the sole tourist on the island during my stay.

I have met 3 other people or groups that tried to obtain accommodations here, and none but me were successful. So let me tell you what worked. First I tried the form on the website. It was basically ignored. I got one answer to not try to come out on a Sunday (no planes), but this approach seems a dead end. I then tried their direct email, but that was mostly ignored too, until I had made other contract. What did work was the telephone. Call them. Recognize that they have a whole place to maintain ,and the phone is in the main lodge and in their house, and if nobody is home when you call, try again. But they are very sweet and helpful, once you make contact. And then the direct Hotmail email address seemed to work. I can sympathize: since it is sort of hard to get out to Ofu, and they must get a lot of dead end inquiries, but it was like running an obstacle course to get reserved in both the lodge and also on the plane.

BTW, the wifi in the main lodge was good for email and visiting a few websites.

• Stayed: July 2015, traveled solo
5  Thank NJ-Eric
Reviewed October 3, 2014

I have read all the reviews of other people that have stayed at Vaoto lodge, not much has changed except Ben was flying solo when we were there, so we pretty much took care of our own breakfast and lunch, Ben said ' whatever is in the kitchen is yours to eat' and each evening he would cook dinner for us, although my wife and I cooked a chicken curry one night which Ben was very grateful for.
Favourite things that we did was to take all five dogs for walks, they loved that and would leap around like puppies when I whistled for them. Snorkeling out to the reef was great, and I would quite often bump into the black tipped reef sharks, the closest I got was about 10 feet which made the adrenalin pump a bit, but in all honesty they are more wary of us than we need to be of them.
The beach is lovely, my wife loved just bobbing around in the little waves adjacent to the little beach fale.
The planes are flying again!!! to Ta'u and then you have to get a boat across, do not count on the planes still flying though, and you really do have to check with either Polynesian or inter island airlines, Bens place is lovely, we have only been back a week and I miss it already, not an easy place to get to, but well worth the effort.

Room Tip: All rooms are equal.
  • Stayed: September 2014, traveled as a couple
10  Thank DavidSier
Reviewed April 28, 2014

This lodge has it all- location, service and value. Ben and Marge are two of the sweetest people you can meet in this world. The service is based on your needs and they are willing to take care of it all including home-cooked meals with homemade bread. And the location is stunningly beautiful.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
12  Thank Sirena670
Reviewed September 24, 2013

The place is run by a very nice couple, Ben and Deborah, who are not only very helpful but also very laid back and relaxed. The lodges are fitted with fans, mosquito netted windows, nice bathrooms (hot water, yay!) and proper beds.
My friend and I stayed there for five days and would have liked to stay longer if circumstances had permitted us. The national park is right next door, and there are a couple of great hikes through rainforest and along cliff edges – the views are absolutely stunning! Of all the places I've been in the Pacific, this must be one of the most dramatic, pristine and gorgeous places. The fruitbats are everywhere along with several endemic bird species – and the snorkeling is fantastic as well. If you like beaches you'll find one of the most beautiful ones here as well.
The lodge has a couple of bikes and sit-on-top kayaks, that you can use and both Ben and Deb are happy to drive you anywhere in their truck and point out the beginning of the trails.
What else to say? The food is excellent, and Ben makes lovely little deserts! Cold water, coffee, tea, ice tea and Tang is complimentary, while fresh coconuts and beer is for sale at very reasonable prices. Laundry is cheap to do. They have a well stocked library. And we saw whales three days in a row!
It can be a bit tricky to get to Ofu, since the plane is no longer flying out there, but with a single phonecall to the lodge, everything was taken care of and all we had to do was arrange for plane tickets to Ta'u, where we were picket up in a truck and taken to the wharf, where our boat driver waited to take us to Ofu.
Go go go!