“An fading touch of class”
Review of Rincon Suizo

Rincon Suizo
Ranked #671 of 1,056 Restaurants in Panama City
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 16, 2013

You should not dine in this restaurant if you look for a modern setting. It probably was at one point quite fine (together with the French Restaurant 1985 which is under the same roof by the same owner) but everything is dated now. We had dinner here on New Year's Eve and chose the $125 per person menu that also included two glasses of champagne. Together with a $99 wine, some taxes and a mysterious tip (propina) in excess of $35 we wound up paying just about $400 for the dinner. Was it worthwhile? Not really, service was slow, the squid was ways too salty and certainly did not deserve to be covered with Swiss gruyere cheese, the lobster bisque had a crust on top that testified to its preparation a few hours earlier, and the "champagne" glasses were filled in the kitchen so that we could not see if it was really champagne or a much cheaper cremant or even cava. All things that should not happen in a good restaurant. The owner, Mr. Diggelmann, was sitting with two ladies during most of the evening and could not care less about his customers. Where has he left his Swiss upbringings? The one outstanding feature of this place however is its wine cellar, an absolute must to visit although ordinary mortals will not be able to afford most of the wines there (ranging into the higher five-figure prices). A place that has seen its heydays and my recommendation to the owner is to bring some new energetic blood in to spruce everything up to match it with the level of prices.

2  Thank inman1

Reviewed September 12, 2012

There is a wide variety of dishes from pasta, to meat, fish and other seafood. The seafood trio was very good, as was the pecan pie for desert. Although the restaurant itself is very old style and traditional I found the food and the service very good.

1  Thank SDBLima
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Being French and travelling to tropical Panama, I felt weird when we went to have lunch in a Swiss chalet in the middle of town. Odd. Once the wine list and the food come, there are no regrets. I would recommend this restaurant as one of the top ones I have been to, foodwise. The decor left me cold, like an old-fashioned swiss place. However, it has its charm.

2  Thank Alexis1616
Reviewed May 5, 2012

I walked into this restaurant and said "buenas noches" to the pianist and guitarist sitting a the spot for the band at the entrance. I got no response from either. I was blanked. Very rude really. They both looked miserable. So I didn't take it personally.

I wish I had judged this restaurant within 10 seconds of entering and left immediately as I had an awful meal.

Our starters were passable.

We ordered the cheese fondu for mains. I have had much better fondues that I have bought in a pre-made packet in the supermarket and cooked for myself in 20 minutes. I asked the waiters which cheeses they used in their fondu and they replied along the lines of "it's a secret - our chef has a special recipe". Maybe the chef was a good one 20 years ago, but he/she has clearly lost all passion for cooking now. I complained about the quality of the food, the manager was sent over and I complained to him too. Worst foundu I have ever had -by a long way. They didn't charge us for the fondu - and rightly so as it was almost disgusting.

1  Thank Rachel G
Reviewed April 1, 2012

In the states, we know the fish Robalo as Snook, but you rarely, if ever, find it on a menu. And as a protected species, we rarely get to try it in any setting. While fishing in Costa Rica, I asked the captain of our boat what was his favorite fish to eat and he said Snook aka Robalo....So when we visited Rincon Suizo and I saw it on the menu as a special, there was no hesitation to try it. It was nicely sautéed and excellent...My daughter had the ceviche (which may have been a daily special--and was very good). And she had the Sole with Caviar in a white cream sauce. Also Excellent!
For dessert we had mouse y guanabana--which was a white mousse served on top of the sour fruit syrup....And the Apple tart with vanilla ice cream. This restaurant has an extensive wine list and the service is excellent. Wait staff's English is much better than my Spanish so there's nothing lost in translation. The Restaurant has a number of rooms, and you can choose where to sit...We went on a Sunday night and it was not crowded...We were casually dressed--the crowd we saw appeared to be non-tourist locals...some wore coats and ties, but most were also dressed in nice to dressy casual. A jacket is NOT required and you won't feel out of place without one. One of the best meals we had in Panama. And the value was good....Entrees around $18, wine offered lots of options (we had a pinot noir from argentina that was reasonably priced) About a $3 cab ride from the Marriott (They'll try to get $5). All in all, very good food at very good prices.

1  Thank Gary307