“Overpriced Fleabag Hotel”

Ranked #100 of 116 Hotels in Panama City
Praia, Cape Verde
“Overpriced Fleabag Hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2010

It cost me $58 to spend a night at this hotel. It is rundown and in a bad part of town. The pool is empty and crumbling. If they charged me $25, it would have been acceptable. The staff is nice and helpful. I had a three night reservation that I cancelled after the first night.
It is not worth the money. Avoid!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Madrid, Spain
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2009

I was disappointed by this hotel that looked fine on photos but happened to be old and dated.
The elevator has not been working for three days, wireless Internet only works in the lobby, breakfast is very "basic", the laundry is not immaculate and some curtains and table cloths are ripped.
My room is damp and noisy. The AC is available but it is also noisy and run-down.
The staff is generally friendly although some are laidback.
The swimming pool is an asset to the hotel (yet its depth doesn’t reach 1,50m). Foreign channels are available on TV.
Aramo hotel was one of the cheapest hotels I found in Panama but compared to other two-star hotels I have been to in Europe, it doesn't meet the standards.
In conclusion, I find this hotel expensive for what it is but the standards seem to be different over here so you pay for what you get.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Panama City hotels

Penonome, Panama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2008

It's a dump, but a nice dump. Elevator worked but button on my floor was broken so had to go down a floor to call it. Phone only worked for incoming calls. Breakfast was minimal. Good internet cafe right around the corner. Good laundry even closer. Within easy walking distance of good restaurants, pharmacy, and other shopping. Room was always clean but just bare minimum of amenities. Hey, ya get what you pay for and the price is right.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — It's old and everything about it is old
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank k2rbw
Puerto Limon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2008

Please do not stay there. The place is far from everything, even the cabbies don't know it good, the rooms are dated, the ac is noisy so you must turn it off to sleep, the elevator is at your own risk, we actually did stay stuck into it !!! One staff member was nice the others totally uninterested . Don't even speak about the continental breakfast, 2 toasts, from sandwich bread, 1 jam, 1 butter, and of course a very small glass of Tang juice !!! I asked for another toast, they denied it, we had to have something on the go outside because I was so hungry...Panama is great and has a lot of hotels just not the right one this one....

• Liked — the soft mattress
  • Disliked — the breakfast
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank natacr
Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2007

I am seventeen-years-old, and this past summer, I spent a month in Panama as a Christian missionary. For the greater part of my time in Panama, I lived on a Kuna Indian-inhabited island (Carti Mulatupu) and an Embera Indian village in the jungle (Maje). However, when my team returned to the city to restock our supplies and go shopping, we would spend a few days at Hotel Aramo.

Hotel Aramo is a great hotel for the price. Because our group nearly filled it, they gave us a great deal- $8 a night per missionary. Though the price is higher for a regular client, it is still extremely cheap. I would definitely stay at Hotel Aramo again- even if my trip to Panama was not mission-based, but meant for a vacation. I wouldn't stay anywhere else. I will list positives and negatives--

POSITIVES:
---Great hotel staff. Very friendly. They speak a bit of English and are very quick to help you with whatever you need. One of the housekeepers actually became like a mother to me! They are a great group of men and women who work hard to leave you happy.
---Clean rooms and bathrooms. They aren't beautiful, but if you're just looking for a place to keep your things and sleep at night, they work just fine.
---Airconditioned. Each room has a window AC unit and you can decided how cold you want your room.
-Pool and terrace. It was clean and provided lots of fun for us while in the city.
---Price. Self-explanatory. =)
---Situated across from a 24-hour gas station with store. A supermarket is located just a short walk away, as are many small shops and places to eat! You can have a fun time just walking this area of the city around the hotel.
---Restaurant by the lobby. The restaurant is tiny, but you can sit down and have a good Panamanian meal, and usually for around $2 a person! (This is not an irregularity in Panama, however- most restaurants and fast-food places are much, much cheaper than you'd imagine. Excepting McDonald's.
---Most rooms have telephones and televisions. You can use your calling cards on these telephones as well.

NEGATIVES:
---No elevator. Well, there is an elevator, but it is not "trustworthy," according to the staff, and only to be used if absolutely necessary. Depending on what room you get (on which floor), the walk can be pretty tiring. But you'll have stronger legs by the end of your trip, I can guarantee you! =) In all seriousness, the lack of an elevator is tolerable for one who is fairly healthy and not extremely overweight. If that's not the case with you, try to get a room on the first floor, or just don't stay at Hotel Aramo! LOL.
---No flushing toilet paper. Many places in Panama have this rule, but if you're skeeved out by the idea of wiping yourself and throwing the soiled tissue into the garbage, you may want to stay somewhere else. It didn't bother me, and, believe it or not, there was no odor because the maids changed the garbages frequently.
---Hot water not guaranteed! I'd say 80% of my showers were hot, but there were a few cold ones! It didn't really bother me, but then, I had been living in the jungle and bathing in a river, so any shower was working for me! =)

That's about all I can think of. I highly recommend this hotel. If money is no object to you, then I can see staying at a higher-class hotel. But if you're looking to just enjoy all that Panama has to offer, save money by staying at this hotel. It's not the kind of place you want to go for your honeymoon or something- but it's great if you're serious about just enjoying all the Panama has to offer. If that's the case with you, you'll rarely be seen in your hotel anyway!

Hotel Aramo will always have a place in my heart!

• Liked — The price! And the staff were awesome!
  • Disliked — I'd say . . . the lack of a working elevator.
  • Stayed July 2007