“Don't shower without covering the shower window!”
Review of Hotel Via Espana

Hotel Via Espana
Ranked #108 of 117 Hotels in Panama City
Kissimmee, Florida
“Don't shower without covering the shower window!”
Reviewed March 14, 2012

If there is one thing that I love about Panama are their skyscrapers and beautiful buildings that surround Panama City. However, when I travel to Panama, I stayed at the Hotel via España for about 3 days. The hotel is average, they do have AC & WIFI w/Internet access, the bar was ok, and breakfast was good enough for me and the rooms are ok, but noisy.. no amazing views. The only good views are the ones from the skyscrapers and of those beautiful buildings across from the hotel.

Let me tell you my story! When I got to the hotel from the airport, I decided to take a shower, and I make sure that the windows were closed, so I proceeded to take a shower, well, I did not realize that the (bathroom) window was open! Moreover, right across from that little window there were condominiums. I am not sure if anyone saw me; however, I was so embarrassed! Ok.. Lesson learned! Before taking a shower make sure, that you cover the window with a towel or you will become the evening show for the people who live across from the hotel!

Ok! Enough about my shower show! Anyhow, overall, this hotel it is just average and I cannot complain about the price, I guess it was ok also. The staff was nice to me and my trip highlight was when I was introduced to my Panama Canal tourist guide, He was charming, helpful, patience and very professional. My trip to the Pma Canal was awesome! Ok.. I guess that’s in another review.. Smiling! Would I go back, perhaps yes! I know now to cover the bathroom window!

Room Tip: Make sure to cover the bathroom windows with a towel ;) stay away from the rooms facing the street...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Lotus L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed December 6, 2010

The room was depressing. The lighting was poor. The bed sheet was very thin; it pulled away from the mattress. The moment I saw the room, I knew I had to find another hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank DQUON

Travelers are raving about these Panama City hotels

Cheshire
Reviewed July 10, 2009

We stayed here a number of weeks and more often than not found staff rude and un-helpful. Our bathroom was rarely cleaned, on most occasions cleaning of the room meant emptying the bin! The good thing with the room was the air-conditioning which seemed to be lacking in the rest of the hotel at times.
Food in the restaurant was inconsistant and rarely looked the same twice, on occasion it would be well presented and enjoyable.
Although wireless internet was available, this was only in the reception area and would regurlarly go off and not come back on for hours at a time.
We regularly found it difficult getting a taxi service from the hotel and often had to go out onto the street, not always a very safe option.
This hotel is not to be recommended.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Chicago
Reviewed April 14, 2009

I recently stayed at the Via Espana in Panama City and was pleasantly surprised. I actually stayed in two different rooms, one for three nights and one for one night on my last night of the trip. The rooms were both equipped with airconditioning that worked and two beds. The first room was quite noisy due to the street traffic, but I living in a big city, so I am used to that. The second room was very quiet. It was not directly over the street. Both rooms had clean, comfortable beds. The hotel is in a convenient location and offers a great breakfast. It has free transportation to the International Airport, but only at certain times. We took a cab, since the times weren't convenient for our flight. It is located only about 15 minutes cab ride from the Albrook Domestic Airport and bus station, which was also convenient. If you are looking for an inexpensive hotel that is comfortable and in a decent location, this is the place to stay!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank kbg116
California
Reviewed April 8, 2009

We had made reservations for 1 room for 4 people. When we showed up they had us booked into a room with one dbl bed and one single bed. We were told us there were no other rooms. We asked if they could at least provide some extra blankets for my 15 year old son to sleep on the floor, but they said the laundry was closed and they couldn't get any (it was 8pm). In the end they were able to find an open room with two dbl beds. Half of the lights in the room were not working, it was on a busy street with lots of truck noise, but there was hot water, and the a/c worked well enough and for $88/night (breakfast included) it met our requirements.
Check out time was 1pm, we asked for a late check out for 2pm because my son was not feeling well. The receptionist said they would charge us $44 for the extra hour. The manager overheard the request and let us stay the addtional hour for no charge. That was very much appreciated.
This is a no frills hotel. Do not expect any extra amenities/luxuries. There were sheets, bedspreads, pillows, soap and towels. The receptionists were nice, but not too helpful. The breakfast buffet was adequate, eggs, maize tortillas, toast, fruit, juice, coffee. Internet access in the lobby for $1/hr. ATM at a gas station across the street. Bus stop close by.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Nicaragua
Reviewed July 14, 2008

I didn't know how to choose a hotel in another country, but through TripAdvisor I found prices and location of different hotels as well as the reviews. Personally, I'm very happy after choosing Hotel Via Espana. It's close to everything, all the main bus routes go nearby, the hotel is clean, the food at the restaurant is excellent, breakfast is enough.
The only thing I didn't like was the street noise since the windows didn't seem to be thick. But I was awake very early and that wasn't a big deal for me.
I saw a lot of people checking in everyday, as well as families with kids. I think that says a lot of a hotel.
Also, they pick you and take yo to the aeroport.
I would go back to that hotel if I ever went to Panama again.
Thanks.

• Liked — the location and the cleaness
  • Disliked — the windows were not too thick
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
Santa Rita Arriba, Panama
Reviewed March 9, 2008

Front desk staff was surly, like I was interrupting their quiet time at 8 in the evening. Refused to honor the pensionado discount (retirees in Panama).
Room was bare-bones, towels but no soap. AC worked okay but blew the curtains away from the window so there was a constant light show all night long. Sheets were thin and well used. Room looked to be 50 years old, with moldy spots on the floor from water habitually leaking from the room above.
There was a lot of street noise, even with the AC on, making it hard to sleep. There was a small TV and the remote worked, so there's one thing.
For $50 a night, there have to be some better choices in Panama City.

• Liked — They had rooms, which are hard to find these days in panama city
  • Disliked — The front desk help, and the bare-bones accommodations. Scary area at night.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank rkondivers