“Well Worth the Money”

Ranked #56 of 114 Hotels in Panama City
Merritt Island, Florida
“Well Worth the Money”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

The Hotel Milan is located in the El Congrejo district of Panama City and is close to shopping and many very good restaurants. The hotel, while not fancy, is clean and provides a courteous and competent staff. It is a convenient property well worth the cost of the room.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Don L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Boquete, Panama
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I stayed here for 6 nights at the end of a 3 months visit to Panama and found the multi lingual staff to be highly service oriented and very pleasant.
The location is good for access to dinning & shopping as well as a good location to set out on sightseeing.
The little restaurant just off the lobby serves tasty food at very reasonable prices.
All-in-all a very pleasant experience

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank John_H_Chiriqui
David, Panama
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We have stayed in 4 other hotels within 2 blocks of this hotel and paid 4 times as much. This is a very clean hotel with no fancy amenities but well taken care of and everything you could want. Front desk people were great and helpful. English spoken.

As a new Jubilado person living in Panama, the Milan did not question when I asked to use our Jubilado discount of 50% for our stay. They were happy to have us there.

We will definitely make this our new home from now on when we visit Panama City.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Canada
Reviewed September 3, 2013

after having stayed at the Hotel Milan I would like to give them the best notes I can, very big rooms, suites, perfectly clean, extremely helpful, centrally located for excellent prices..great restaurants nearby and my biggest thank you to Sra . Anna ..always so helpful and friendly! There is a little Restaurant in that Hotel which serves a great Panamanian Coffee and a famous Sopa Sancocho!

Great Restaurant nearby in walking distance !

Room Tip: choose a suite ! they have a fridge...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Lindsay, Canada
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is a good value hotel in a convenient location. Clean room but no frills. Not even a coffee maker. The reception desk was typical for Panama. Cold, no smile, no welcome. I made reservation 3 weeks in advance and when I arrived, there was no record. They did not honor the rate that was in my original reservation, but did allow the jubilado discount.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Terry M
Montevideo, Uruguay
Reviewed August 6, 2013

For our first night, we stayed in one of the basic rooms, and it didn't work for us at all. Although the price was very cheap ($65 in cash), and the room was very clean, the bed was only a full size bed, there was no refrigerator, the bathroom was very small, and the floors are all tile, plus there are no extra blankets or pillows or even extra towels. So, in other words, if you're a single person and you don't need a refrigerator, the cheapest room may be fine. For me, my husband, and our 13 month daughter...it didn't work too well. Usually while traveling I make a "bed" for her on the (carpeted) floor with blankets and a couple pillows to keep her from rolling into things; that was totally impractical since the floors were so hard and there were no blankets or pillows. So, instead, all three of us--sweaty from moving around the airport/city with our luggage--shared the little bed.

The next day we arranged to switch to a suite ($90ish cash) for our other couple nights that we had planned to stay in Panama City. That worked a lot better for us. There was still a hard floor (turns out everywhere in Panama has hard floors because of all the rain), BUT the suite had a small couch that I was able to barricade with our luggage to make a bed for our daughter. It also had a king size bed, a little fridge, and a very large (not-jetted) jacuzzi tub. The view was not amazing, but not bad either; we could see some of the city from our room.

We were depending on the wifi internet for my husband's work. There is wifi internet, and even different routers for different floors...but it is not the best. It seems to work really intermittently. If you wanted to do something that required a better connection, like watching videos online, that would probably not work. It did (usually) work fine for our searches about directions or places we were going, as long as we had time to wait. We did not try using the computers downstairs, so I don't know if those are faster.

The people who worked at the front desk were very patient with our limited Spanish. They were friendly and helpful. The ladies that cleaned our room were also friendly. I talked to them one day about finding some fresh milk and we had a great conversation about goats in the Panama City region and the prevalence of goat milk in the area, etc.

We ate breakfast down at the restaurant a couple times. Honestly, I didn't think the food was amazing, but it was ok, and it was fairly inexpensive. The ladies who worked there were also friendly and patient with our limited Spanish. I had to check with them on how they prepared different items because of an allergy, and they were very helpful and cooperative about that. One thing that we all really liked was the fresh juice--especially the mixed fruit kind. That was very good (and has no sugar added, unlike most juice here).

The location is excellent. Lots of stuff nearby, and it feels really safe walking around the "el congrejo" district. We took taxis while staying at Hotel Milan: $33 from the airport to Hotel Milan, $15 to and from the Panama Canal, $2.50 to $5 to and from various places in the Panama City area (and the one time it was $5 was during a lot of traffic so we spent at least 20 mins in the taxi).

Overall, I don't know if we would stay there again. We chose it because at $65 it seemed like a really great deal...but at $90, I don't know if it was actually better than other places for that price range, and the problems with the Internet were a big deal for us since my husband was needing to work while we were there. But, if you just need one full-size bed, and you don't care about a fridge or having great Internet access, then yes, it is a great place. It is very clean and the AC works well.

Room Tip: The basic rooms have a full size bed and not much else--no fridge or tub. The suites have a king si...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Emily K
Penonome, Panama
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Have put off trying this Hotel due to reading some negative reviews a few years ago. Definitely my loss. Location is perfect, close to supermarket, casinos, souvenir shops, restaurants, much other shopping, and the bus. Half the hotel is new and half is remodeled. This is an upscale, low end hotel. I stayed 2 different times on this trip for a total of 13 nights, once in the old part and once in the new. There is no difference, they both appear new. The rooms are large and clean with a good, comfortable bed and good air conditioning. The bathrooms are large and have real hot water and good water pressure, both of which are rare in low end Panama hotels. Along with the usual toiletries, they even include a shower cap. There is an ice bin, which is kept full, in the middle of every floor. There are 2 elevators. Every member of the staff that I interacted with was wonderful although none spoke much English and I don't speak much Spanish. The Milan has two levels of excellent indoor parking which they allowed my friends to use since I did not have a car. There are 2 internet connected computers available, in the very large lobby, at no extra charge. Never had a problem of any kind. The photos are of my first room, the second room actually had a dining table and chairs. Room comes with a large bottle of water which they replace if you use it. My only negative is that the restaurant is closed on Sundays which makes no sense to me. However, the El Parador hotel down the block does serve breakfast and the Toscana hotel around the corner has a daily breakfast buffet which is great. The posted room price is $70. With my Pensionado Card, I paid $38 for a weekday night and $49 on the weekend, which includes the 10% hotel tax. This is now my hotel for Panama City.

Room Tip: I honestly don't think there are any bad rooms. I was on the street side but it was quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo