“strange experience”
Review of Andino Hotel

Andino Hotel
Ranked #107 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed August 15, 2010

The rooms are definitely run down but in opposite to what was said before, the main staff at the desk was extremly friendly and helpful.
Unfortunately it is not too safe - coming back from a short walk our son went first to our room while we stayed still outside the hotel and found the receptionist in our room! Quite strange and we never found out what he was doing there but anyway - this never should happen!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank nisc

Reviewed January 20, 2010

We do not recommend this hotel. Do not be fooled by the internet pictures - they must be 30 years old. The bar area is actually really nice (and empty) and completely out of place in this run down hotel. The hotel is not clean, not nice and in a sketchy area of town. The hotel staff could not be less helpful. They seemed annoyed everytime we talked to them and our 7 am wake up call came at 7:40.....We do not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ramblintravella
Reviewed November 29, 2009

What a strange place. True its not expensive, and the lobby looks Ok but what really lets it down is the surly staff and peculiar systems.
Interestingly given one of the other comments - only the night porter managed a smile and anything pleasant to say in the 4 days I stayed there. Given I speak both English and Spanish and tried both on all the reception staff, I can discount this as the problem, so I watched when I was in the lobby to see if they had just taken against me for some reason - but no - each time I went through someone else was getting the "frosty" treatment.
My biggest complaint was that they wanted you to pay in cash in advance - but only one day in advance which meant you had to go through the performance every day - and also they would automatically lock you out of your room at 2pm each day until you went down and the reactivated your card. The second day I didnt understand and was later than 2pm returning and with my spare the money in the safe in my room I had to grovel to be let in. Next day I paid early as I was heading out for the day. Still locked out when I reutrned, and met a women witha very small screaming baby who had gone to her room and then had to return down in the lift to get her card to work. If they know this why don't they at least catch you as they buzz you in and sort your keycard.
Next problem breakfast - do you serve breakfast I ask (en Espanol) after a pause of about a minute and some looking around she answers "No" - by which I take to mean that it is not included in my room rate - OK - but actually they do serve breakfast. However it takes me until about day 3 to realise that the restaurant doesn't open until after 9 or 9.30am???? "Que pasa" as they say, (whats going on?)
The restaurant is also open in the evening but there are no menus or information anywhere in the hotel or on the restaurant entrance with the hours and by this stage I was avoiding interaction with reception unless absolutely necessary.
The oddness extended to the housekeeping staff. The day I arrived was only mid morning and I had been up overnight travelling so went to sleep. Twice the housekeepers tried to come in but I had the chain on the door and by the time I got to the door they had disappeared completely- nice! and once they rung me and hung up? Thanks!
My list of woes goes on and on - only inertia meant I stayed for 4 days.
If you are thinking of staying here my advice is -surely you can do better than this!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank GoGlam
Reviewed February 15, 2009

We stayed here for a couple nights this week and were quite satisfied with the hotel for the price paid. Our trip to Panama City was last minute and it was really frustrating looking for a room at a decent price for budget travelers on the internet booking engines. Conversing with the hotel via e-mail was prompt. We weren't able to get a confirmation before we left since we were making our travel plans at the very last minute, so we just showed up. The room rate quoted at check-in was a little less than what we expected from the e-mail quote, but I think it was because the inexpensive American breakfast was included in the quote we received via e-mail.

Let me start out by saying that the hotel is not incredibly modern. It is generally clean, but there may be some dust in a corner or two. The sheets were clean and the mattress was brand new. Mine was actually still wrapped in plastic and we saw workmen constantly carrying old mattresses out of the hotel on one of the days of our stay. It seems like the property is being upgraded and it has the potential to be a lot better place. Depending on a person's taste, someone may consider the hotel a "dump" but I thought it was ok.

The hotel is about to open up a large nightclub on the ground floor, complete with a number of flat-screen TVs and a huge bed out in the open next to the bar. I'm not sure what the bed is for, but it was explained that it is a current trend in nightclubs. Once the club is open, I could see noise being an issue on the 100-level rooms.

The room had a TV with quite a few channels, including a few that showed good movies in English with Spanish subtitles. Unfortunately there was no remote for the TV.

The bathroom was a decent size with a good towel rack and shelving for your toiletries. Two tiny bars of soap are provided in a double room but no shampoo. I suggest bringing soap and shampoo or buying some locally upon arrival. The shower was a good size and had good hot water and pressure.

The location of the hotel isn't the greatest. We were cautioned about going out too far or in the wrong direction at night (we did anyway). In the daytime, there is an armed guard to look after the cars parked around the front of the hotel that belong to the people working in the nearby offices. We didn't see anything or feel threatened while we were there, day or night, although we took normal precautions anyone would take while going out in any big unfamiliar city. Taxis are so cheap and plentiful, even though we were often stuck with the Gringo price. When in doubt, be safe and take a taxi.

There's lots to do in Panama City that is only a $3-$6 cab ride away from the Andino. If it's your first time in Panama, I suggest going to the Albrook Mall on one of the first days of your visit for a daytime activity and then going to one of the downtown casinos for the nighttime and go from there.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank da20mike
Reviewed January 17, 2009

We flew into Tocumen but had an early morning connection the next day at Albrook to another part of Panama. So we were only in the hotel for 8 hours. If you've got an early morning flight from Albrook Airport the next morning, need a hot shower with GREAT pressure, and a clean room stay here.

But, if you are actually staying in Panama City - which we did later on in our trip - follow our advice and do what we did and stay in El Cangrejo.

This hotel is excellent, but only as a quick stopover.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 2lambstraveler
Reviewed January 10, 2009

I traveled to Panama last December and the city was completely booked and way overpriced, with rates of $100 or more in most hotels. I was looking to spend around $65-$75 on hotel night and browsed my options. Hotel Andino was the perfect choce for me. I browsed the easy to navigate website of the hotel and decided that this hotel will be my destination. I have booked a room for 3 nights by exchanging emails with the hotel who communicate well in English. When I got to the hotel I have to say that I was amazed. The lobby is very modern (I have been told that it was recently remodled), there are two computers with internet service for the hotel guests in the lobby, and a nice ambiance over all. I was also been told that there is a free WiFi internet service all throughout the hotel, and since I am traveling with a laptop computer, I thought that that as agreat bonus for me.
The receptionist was very friendly and the check in process was quick. I also took a look inside the restaurant of the hotel and saw that it is being remodeled into a temporary lounge/bar, which added a lot of style and chik to the overall look of the hotel. All hotel rooms use electronic card keys, which is very rare in these types of hotels, who usually provide you with regular keys.
My room was on the 3rd floor, was big, clean and cosy. It had a queen bed and a single one, cable TV, ceiling fan, A/C, fridge, safe deposit, sofa, and table. The bathroom was very clean, with hot water and good stream.
The matress was comfortable and I had a great night sleep.
I also had the chance to dine in the restaurant which offers good and affordable breakfast and lunch menu.
For $61.50 per night which I paid I think that Hotel Andino offers a great price value for its guests, and I will definately consider staying in this hotel again during my future visits to Panama City.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank asaf74
Reviewed October 25, 2008

I stayed at this hotel as another gringo said it was "decent." It was far from decent. It is a dump - pure and simple. The floors, walls, doors and bathoom were filthy. In fact, my door was falling off the hinges and I had to "fiddle with it" to close it. It is located in a sketchy alley where I saw dope addicts smoking crack and there were piles of human feces nearby and the constant smell of urine - wretched and dangerous. Moreover, they told me breakfast was included (I have proof via their e-mail response to me). When I went to check out, they charged me for my breakfast. When I disputed, they said, "Well it's only the breaksfast americana" - very sneaky. Gracias a Dios, my credit card company (Mastercard) agreed with me, and took it off my bill. In a nutshell, Do Not Stay Here!

Stayed: October 2008