“Change in Ownership has had a dramatic effect”

Veneto Hotel & Casino
Ranked #101 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed January 7, 2010

I had visited this property a few years back prior to change in ownership. My recent visit now that it is part of the Wyndham Properties, demonstrates what committed owners can accomplish. The infrastructure itself from the lobbies to the rooms was excellent. Modern and well maintained. My room was nicely decorated and both the phones and the internet worked well. Service was prompt and the people were cheerful and respectful. The steakhouse was quite good, and the sushi from the sushi bar was much better than anticipated. The casino although slightly smaller, was very similar to vegas. Slots were state of the art and the dealers knew what they were doing. Also, the latin influence made things lively and fun. I look forward to returning.

Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Veneto Hotel & Casino

Reviewed January 2, 2010

Amongst a sea of expensive hotels in Panama City, we decided to splurge on the Veneto for $125 a night online at wyndham.com. We were were pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to a suite on the 16th floor.

Pros:
Location: Close to the rest of the business district. Lots of restaurants, shops, internet cafes nearby.
Room: 3 Flatscreens TVs, Nice furniture, Marble everything, Great Bed, Luxurious Bathrooms
Full time security guard on our floor
Casino on 2nd floor (if you are into that)
Room Service - Huge portions

Cons:
Street Noise - Panama City is noisy and this is a noisier street, particularly on weekends. We couldn't hear the street noise that much on the 16th floor but it might interfere with your sleep if on a lower floor. For a basic quiet option (although much less luxurious) check out Hotel Marbella around the corner.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 10, 2009

Not for families, this place is crowded with prostitutes.
They are in the casino, outside....
Hotel management knows and they do nothing about it.

Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank LorenaMP
Reviewed November 12, 2009

First of all the check in was not the best. They did let us in the room when we checked in which was early. We had booked the executive floor expecting to get breakfast and a happy hour and paid the higher rate to get these amenties.
The front desk clerk handed us a key and never told us what was included or where it was (NOTHING). We had to grope around once in the room to find out what we did get on the executive floor.
Breakfast was served only from 7.00am to 10:00am and there was a happy hour from 6:00 to 8:00pm.
FIrst of all if you have a flight that departs early you will not get breakfast or even a cup of coffee.
When we went to the Happy Hour which was at 6.00pm the room was blocked off but there but we still went in the room and sat down and waited for someone to show up. There were 2 dishes that were in hot warming pans (chicken wings) and ( mini buritos).
We finally called the operator and told them no one was there to offer to pour a drink or to set up the food.
Finally 2 men arrived and did pour us a glass of wine.
DO NOT PAY THE EXTRA FOR THIS SERVICE.
The pool area was nice, the hotel room was fine, comfortable beds. But try going to sleep when it is 64 degrees and going down. I called twioe to get the maintenance people to come up and fix the air conditioner system. Finally got under the covers and did wake up and it was at 69 degress which I could live with. Being in Panama and so hot and come into a cold Hotel room and corridors were freezing. I don;t know what they were trying to do. Freeze you out of the Hotel.
Very centrally located. The casino was large. Didn't eat in the Hotel, lots of restauarants off site.
PS I am a travel agent and do see a lot of Hotels. My advise if you are staying at this Property , stay in a standard room and do not pay for the extras that you think you are getting.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 22, 2009

Overall a comfortable stay. The service was generally good and quick (check-in, bell boy, housekeeping, concierge). Only problem was that the phone did not work properly. It took some time to get a free line or connection. The room was spacious fitting two queen sized beds comfortably. It did look a bit tired, but not to the extent that it was uncomfortable. Sizeable bathroom with a large shower cubicle. Location was convenient at least ofr my purposes. I visited Casco Viejo and the canal and both was a managable cab ride away. There are a number of restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. I tried the steak restaurant on the premises and I enjoyed the meal. The fact the Veneto houses a 24 hrs casino makes it a very lively place. So dont expect tranquility. When I booked over the net they were a few promotions available and I thought it was decenet value for money. So check on the hotel website directly rather than hotel reservation websites. They were generally more expensive. What I disliked was the very commercial look of the place, but I guess you have to expect that from a casino.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed October 22, 2009

I just returned from a business trip to Panama and I was surprised by what a great time I ended up having. Hotel transportation was waiting for me when I arrived at the airport. The hotel lobby was nicely set up and open. The front desk spoke English well and check in was pleasantly speedy. My room was a good size and looked new. The mattress was especially comfortable and I had a great view towards the water. My business obligations were wrapped up sooner than planned and so I wandered around the hotel to find something to do. I knew there was a casino, but it was A LOT bigger than I expected. It was pretty much right out of Las Vegas. I ended up calling some colleagues who were staying at other hotels and we met up for dinner at the steakhouse downstairs followed by some quality time at the casino. It was a great! The next day I ventured towards the Spa on the 7th level and was talked into getting a massage by the pretty receptionist. And I'm glad she did, it was one of the best Swedish massages I've had in a while. I know I have some upcoming trips to Panama and I will undoubtedly be booking here again!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 18, 2009

Good:
* Price - The website had a 4 nights for the price of 3 special that included Wifi and breakfast. This hotel is close to the Panama, Marriot, and others, and it seemed the nicest.
* Pool - Outdoor pool on floor 7 has a great feel, and is refreshing after the heat of the day.
* Breakfast - It's an awesome buffet from 6:30 - 10:30. We'd eat late and be fueled until dinner with a light snack.
* Location - It's in the middle of the city which means easier access. It took us 15 minutes to walk to the waterfront.
* Shower - good pressure and hot water. Made up for the pool's lack of a real hottub.

Bad:
* For the 4-nights-for-3 promotion, they charge your credit card immediately, not when you check in or out. I had asked about this since I wanted to pay with cash, but they still went ahead and charged me without confirming that I was ok with this. They didn't seem to get why this concerned me.
* Pool hottub is the same temperature as the pool.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ksenterprises