“It was quiet on a Tueday”

Miraflores Visitor Center
$100.00*
Half Day Panama Canal, Amador Causeway and Old Town Tour
Ranked #3 of 177 things to do in Panama City
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We took a cab from Albrook Mall to Miraflores Lock and it cost $5. It was a Tuesday morning. Admission was $8, including a visit to the musemum and observation deck. If you want to go for a buffet, I think it is $30 including admission. While we were there, there was actually a good size ship passing the lock. It was interesting to see the water raise and drop.

Mind you, you don't see ship pass every minute. Kind of depends on your luck.

There are newer reviews for Miraflores Visitor Center

Reviewed May 3, 2013

My husband and I visited the Miraflores Locks Visitor Center prior to going through the locks on a boat ride. I do not think it matters what time of the day one goes to the Miraflores Locks Visitor Center.There is always a boat going through the locks. If not, the wait to see one go through is not long. I enjoyed going in the morning before a large crowd. Even in the morning (around 10:00 am), there were too many people for me. I like having less people. I do not like to move and get pushed around so others could crowd in front of me to see the attraction. There is a movie in several languages, and fortunately we were able to hear the history and see the movie in English. After the movie, we were able to go through a museum of sea life and of the history of the locks. Then, we got into an assimilated boat which reminded me of a Disneyland ride. The boat made us feel like we were actually in a boat going through the locks. However, the speed of the ride increased. We felt the boat rising, and we felt like we were going through the locks trying to avoid hitting the edge of one side and the edge of the other side of the locks. It was exciting, and everone laughed and seemed to enjoy that adventure. I think that going through the Miraflores Locks Visitor Center was fun, informative, exciting, and at a reasonable cost of $4.00 a person. If you just wanted to go outside on the lower deck of the center, it costs $3.00. If I am wrong about the exact prices, I am sorry. My husband paid for us to visit the lower deck of the museum, but we found out later that we can see and learn more by going to the entire visitor center. Thus, I went to the cashier, and she just charged me for a full ticket, an additional $2.00 for my husband and I. I would not miss the Miraflores Locks Visitor Center. It is an absolute MUST to see. You will be happy you went through the museum. There is a restaurant at the top floor of the Miraflores Locks Visitor Center, and we did not eat there because we got there too early. You can spend as long as you want there for $4.00. I think that is pretty reasonable. My husband is physically disabled. There aren't any wheelchairs to use or rent. However, there are elevators. We used the elevators to go up and down the Center. In fact, Panama is not easily accessible for physically disabled individuals. My husband is unable to walk more than 1 - 2 city blocks, and then he has to rest. The long stairs at the Center would be too much for him to do. We saw everything we wanted to see in 2 1/2 hours. I could have stayed longer, but my husband had to go to the Baru Lodge where we were staying to rest. We would have eaten at the Center's restaurant, but it was closed. We were too early for lunch. It looked like a very nice restaurant, and the view of the locks from the restaurant would have been priceless. I hope all of you who visit Panama go to the Miraflores Locks Visitor Center before going on the boat ride through the locks. Aloha, Jo Ann & Doug (We are from Kealakekua, HI)

Reviewed May 1, 2013

We got in for the "retirados" rate of $4. We are retired but they didn't ask for documentation and some non-retired friends got in for the same rate. Watching the ships go through (and the workers working) is endlessly entertaining. The museum is very good although if you're the kind of person (like my wife) who wants to read all the verbiage and gaze at each little thing, it will take you a couple of hours. I loved the old films of the construction and the amazing models of the amazing old construction machines. The restaurant has a decent buffet but I really didn't want to spend my time there eating. There was a short movie in English. It was pretty and a bit informative but mostly propaganda. Plenty of taxis come and go from Panama City. I've heard taxi rates of from $6 to $12 one way. There is WiFi, at least on the first floor.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Very nice museum on premises, with great views of the locks and up and down the canal. There's nothing else nearby, so I'd suggest driving here yourself en route to other parts inland. Or it's easy enough to cab to the locks and back from the city ($10-$15 each way).

Reviewed April 29, 2013

The Miraflores Locks are wonderful to see! Actually it's a "must-see!" We arrived in the morning as we heard that that is when the bigs ship pass through the locks. It was amazing to see how the passage occurs. There is a short movie about the Panama Canal and then there are 4 floors of information. On one floor, there is a Simulator and it is very neat! A great visit. Highly recommend!