“Bond, James Bond”

American Trade Hotel
Ranked #5 of 117 Hotels in Panama City
“Bond, James Bond”
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Beautiful hotel, great location in Casco video.
The rooms: great sheets and bed. Nice towels and robe from Turkish linens.
Very good AC
I love this hotel and it feels like u are part of a James Bond movie. I am sure u know that casino royal was shot in panama down the street for the American trade (ace hotel)
The bar needs a little work, it feels to open and a bit cold.
Service is good but not great. For sure they don't make u feel special.
The front desk manager, she means business and that's not so attractive in a hotel of l this kind.
When u pay high prices u want to feel special but this is not it. For sure.
Everyone is friendly and very nice but no more then that.
The Madeo open the doors twice while we were in bed and they wanted to explain me how to hung the no disturbing sign instead of closing the door immediately and go away.
Anyways little things here and there. I am sure they are going to get things better soon. This hotel is in one of the most beautiful buildings I have ever been to.
I ll stay again if I come back to panama !

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Adolfo S
Philipp R, General Manager at American Trade Hotel, responded to this review, April 20, 2014
Dear Adolfo, I would like to thank you for your review and for challenging us getting better in what we do (or supposed to do). Making our guests feel special is definitely our every day's goal, and I'm really sorry you left with the impression that we didn't succeed in doing so. I'm also aware that there are still some common sense issues to be resolved (sorry you played the guinea pig role in some of it...). Just for reference, Quantum of Solace was filmed in our hood, not Casino Royale. Saludos from Panama, Philipp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Cedar Falls, Iowa
Reviewed April 2, 2014

From the moment I set eyes on on this hotel from the beautiful Herrera plaza, I knew this place was a ONE OF A KIND. Recently opened in the Casco Viejo neighborhood which is filled with priceless colonial architecture (Spanish, French and American to name a few). American Trade is one of the most sophisticated undertakings/renovations I have ever seen. The first floor flows majestically with huge windows opening up to the plaza to the Avenida Central high ceilings. The building has a pulse with energy unlike any hotel lobby I have experienced with a perfect balance of restaurant, bar and community space or you can breakout to the pool or library. When it comes to finishes, no corners were cut such not to insult the character of the building. The wood finishes are stunning...even the elevator controls take you back in time but with a modern meaning. Natural light and outdoor space is available at every turn in the common areas and even your room--almost like living outside. My room had a great balcony as most rooms do and it overlooked energized neighborhood filled with all walks of life--no gated community here, just purely Panama. Staff is respectful of your space but willing to do anything to ensure your stay is perfect, even if that means a special trip to the roof pool for a bite or cocktail. They even leave little delicacies next to your bed, which were delicious and quite the surprise. It is hard to find a negative about this hotel....I had to dig deep but still can't find anything worth writing about....oh, parking which is horrendous everywhere in Panama as is the traffic (no need for a car to experience Casco Viejo--you can walk to everything, stores, grocery, etc. Even this I think they though of with a valet service I didn't use but I believe it is available. Following this stay, I think the bar has been raised for those who appreciate independent, boutique hotels.

Room Tip: If you want plaza/canal views, ask for them and I am sure they will accommodate. I stayed on the op...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Philipp R, General Manager at American Trade Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
What a joy to reading your review. It seems this will be your home whenever you return to Panama. But hurry, our family is growing fast. Saludos from all of us, Philipp
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 31, 2014

The American Trade Hotel is located in the wonderful Panama City neighborhood of Casco Viejo. It is part of the stellar Ace Hotel group. This hotel is beautifully designed, perfectly combining old-world charm with modern luxury. I loved everything about it: the lobby is airy and light, the pool small but relaxing, and the rooms have lovely bedding and great showers. (I especially loved the bathrobe!) When I visited (March 2014) the hotel had recently opened, but I had an incredibly smooth experience. I spent time in the room, lay by the pool, ate multiple meals in their restaurant, and also visited the jazz bar next door. All were wonderful. The one thing I would mention is that I would have liked to watch a movie in my room (the TV choices were limited). But all in all this hotel is such an elegant way to stay in a truly lovely part of the city.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Anna P
Dear Anna P,
We loved having you stay with us. Next time you come around I promise we'll have our movie-on-demand system setup. By the way, we offer our bathrobes for sale. Let me know if we should send you one by mail. All the best from the ATH team
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Walking up to the hotel at night it shines in a blaze of white lights and makes its presence felt, much like the White House (without the fence and lawn). The ground floor is all classic style lead glass windows fronting an amazing restaurant. There are two classic plaza, on win front and one behind the hotel. You can even sit in the back plaza and listen to the music coming from the jazz club. We even had a little dance outside. Everything about this hotel evokes classic beauty and style from the grand old age of travel (1930s) where people dressed up on cruise ships and planes and didn't mind putting on a suit for dinner. Elegant. This hotel is perfect in every way. The best part it the history the owners created to give the hotel some character. Just adds to the charm.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Philipp R, General Manager at American Trade Hotel, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Thanks a lot, Seoulsoulman. We very much appreciate your raving review and that you value the old-world elegance and classy style of this hotel. About your comparison with the White House; we can proudly say that everything we do is honest, sincere and authentic, and that our staff pleases because they truly care. Rest assure that we won't put up a fence, and that we will hold our doors wide open for you - whenever you chose to come back.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Let me start by saying I was tempted to give this hotel a lower rating because it will cost you an arm and a leg. However, I can tell you that you will at least get what you pay for.

My fiancé and I traveled across Panama and sailed through the San Blas islands for a few days. I wanted to stay in a really nice hotel for our last night on vacation because I wanted a great nights sleep before returning to regular life the next day. The hotel is immaculate and the room was ridiculously nice. The bed is worth the money by its self! The sheets and pillows were very comfortable and after less than great sleeping accommodations for the preceding 3 nights I practically melted into the bed. The shower and bathroom facilities were very clean and modern. There was a mini bar with all of the usual suspects. Also, there were some soft bath robes provided. I booked the room on the ATH website and paid extra for the Panorama view room. To be completely honest that was what really sealed the deal on the 5 star rating that I've given. The view was phenomenal! You will see the entire 180 degree view spanning over all of the rooftops in Casco Viejo and in the distance you can see the Panama City skyline very clearly. It was a pleasure to lie in bed with the window open and see the beautiful city surroundings and hear the subtle noises of a large city from a practical distance.

After we settled into the room we ventured to the lobby for a drink at the bar and some advice from the front desk for dinner options. The drinks were great but, as expected, pricey. The front desk staff were very willing to assist us in making a selection for dinner. They had a book full of menus for nearby restaurants. We made our choice and asked for directions. The streets aren't very well marked and after trying to get clarity on the directions for a few minutes the front desk offered to have someone escort us to the restaurant. Wow! Really!? We graciously accepted their offer and the gentleman showed us the way through the streets of Casco Viejo. I never felt like we were imposing on them nor did I suspect that he expected gratuity. While walking through Casco Viejo I felt very safe and there were literally armed guards stationed at spots around the area to dissuade anyone from bad behavior. We had dinner at a popular place situated in a square with a lot of other restaurants with live music being played by what appeared to be locals having dinner with their friends.

After dinner we promptly headed back to the hotel walking casually down the clean streets and only stopping briefly to admire the architecture of one of the amazing old churches that was lit up with spotlights. Once arriving back at the hotel we feel into almost an instant coma surrounded by the comfortable bedding I described earlier. There wasn't any noticeable street noise that kept us from sleeping despite the fact that there were kids in the square directly in front of the hotel riding skateboards when we entered the front door around 11pm. However, at approximately 5am we were awakened by lots of street noise and big bangs that sounded like we have been transported to a war zone. I got out of bed after a few minutes to see what was going on outside. I opened the window and nothing was visible from my vantage point but I could hear a lot of celebrating going on and what sounded like a small marching band moving throughout the city in parade fashion. After just a couple minutes I realized the explosion noises we had heard were actually fireworks. It was a surreal experience because the fireworks continued for about an hour and the noise from the parade of people slowly faded down as they made their way to wherever they were headed. At one point I called the front desk to ask what was going on and they apologized but said they did not know what the commotion was about because there was not Panamanian holiday that they were aware of. But, the did offer us complimentary ear plugs... We have visited other central American countries before and we have been awakened by big explosive bangs in the past. During those other experiences it was a brief 30 second ordeal and apparently it's customary to celebrate events such as birthdays in that manner. Well, I'm not sure if that's the reason for 5am fireworks on a Sunday night in Casco Viejo but it was only amusing after the fact when re-telling the story to friends.

Nonetheless, our visit to ATH was very brief and we would have liked to have stayed for several more days despite the fireworks. The hotel is beautiful and the staff was generous with their hospitality. And, by the way, we did not use the pool but it looked outstanding and the view from the outdoor pool deck was spectacular too. I anticipate a return visit to ATH and I'll bring my own ear plugs next time!

Room Tip: Panaroma room had a spectacular view
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mark_25_25
Philipp R, General Manager at American Trade Hotel, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time writing such a detailed review. We are happy you had an overall exciting stay with us, although way too short. I feel terrible for the rather unusual wake-up call at 5am. The Policia National apparently decided to celebrate their 24th anniversary, which was reason enough(?) to blow-up a ton of firework at a time when regular people are deep asleep (a gentle reminder that they provide service 24/7). I'm sure not too many spectator saw the parade either.... That said, we seriously hope you will visit us again one day in the near future. And if you don't choose to come for their 25th anniversary, I promise you won't need to bring your earplugs either. With warmest regards from the ATH team.
Ormond Beach, Florida, United States
Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

Wonderful time!! Food excellent! Varied menu! Service great!! Went to the jazz room out back after... Perfect evening!! Always on the lookout for fine dining and superb entertainment in Panama!! Only disappointment was they need to have the wine that is on their list or why have a list?? Otherwise, looking forward to spending more time at the hotel!!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2014

We stayed here for the first half of our two week holiday in Panama. The hotel itself has been renovated well and fits in with its surroundings. The staff were very approachable and helpful. We had a potential problem with a tour we had pre-booked before we arrived and they did their best to sort it out for us. The room itself was huge and we had a balcony that we used to sit out on and watch the world go by! The courtyard, library and the sun lounger/small pool deck were nice additions to the hotel. A unique and fantastic touch was being brought different miniature desserts each night! The hotel is just a short walk from the main shops, bars and restaurants in Casco Antiguo.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple