“Out of a story book”

Ranked #6 of 116 Hotels in Panama City
Ottawa, Canada
“Out of a story book”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

Walking up to the hotel at night it shines in a blaze of white lights and makes its presence felt, much like the White House (without the fence and lawn). The ground floor is all classic style lead glass windows fronting an amazing restaurant. There are two classic plaza, on win front and one behind the hotel. You can even sit in the back plaza and listen to the music coming from the jazz club. We even had a little dance outside. Everything about this hotel evokes classic beauty and style from the grand old age of travel (1930s) where people dressed up on cruise ships and planes and didn't mind putting on a suit for dinner. Elegant. This hotel is perfect in every way. The best part it the history the owners created to give the hotel some character. Just adds to the charm.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Philipp R, General Manager at American Trade Hotel, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Thanks a lot, Seoulsoulman. We very much appreciate your raving review and that you value the old-world elegance and classy style of this hotel. About your comparison with the White House; we can proudly say that everything we do is honest, sincere and authentic, and that our staff pleases because they truly care. Rest assure that we won't put up a fence, and that we will hold our doors wide open for you - whenever you chose to come back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

Let me start by saying I was tempted to give this hotel a lower rating because it will cost you an arm and a leg. However, I can tell you that you will at least get what you pay for.

My fiancé and I traveled across Panama and sailed through the San Blas islands for a few days. I wanted to stay in a really nice hotel for our last night on vacation because I wanted a great nights sleep before returning to regular life the next day. The hotel is immaculate and the room was ridiculously nice. The bed is worth the money by its self! The sheets and pillows were very comfortable and after less than great sleeping accommodations for the preceding 3 nights I practically melted into the bed. The shower and bathroom facilities were very clean and modern. There was a mini bar with all of the usual suspects. Also, there were some soft bath robes provided. I booked the room on the ATH website and paid extra for the Panorama view room. To be completely honest that was what really sealed the deal on the 5 star rating that I've given. The view was phenomenal! You will see the entire 180 degree view spanning over all of the rooftops in Casco Viejo and in the distance you can see the Panama City skyline very clearly. It was a pleasure to lie in bed with the window open and see the beautiful city surroundings and hear the subtle noises of a large city from a practical distance.

After we settled into the room we ventured to the lobby for a drink at the bar and some advice from the front desk for dinner options. The drinks were great but, as expected, pricey. The front desk staff were very willing to assist us in making a selection for dinner. They had a book full of menus for nearby restaurants. We made our choice and asked for directions. The streets aren't very well marked and after trying to get clarity on the directions for a few minutes the front desk offered to have someone escort us to the restaurant. Wow! Really!? We graciously accepted their offer and the gentleman showed us the way through the streets of Casco Viejo. I never felt like we were imposing on them nor did I suspect that he expected gratuity. While walking through Casco Viejo I felt very safe and there were literally armed guards stationed at spots around the area to dissuade anyone from bad behavior. We had dinner at a popular place situated in a square with a lot of other restaurants with live music being played by what appeared to be locals having dinner with their friends.

After dinner we promptly headed back to the hotel walking casually down the clean streets and only stopping briefly to admire the architecture of one of the amazing old churches that was lit up with spotlights. Once arriving back at the hotel we feel into almost an instant coma surrounded by the comfortable bedding I described earlier. There wasn't any noticeable street noise that kept us from sleeping despite the fact that there were kids in the square directly in front of the hotel riding skateboards when we entered the front door around 11pm. However, at approximately 5am we were awakened by lots of street noise and big bangs that sounded like we have been transported to a war zone. I got out of bed after a few minutes to see what was going on outside. I opened the window and nothing was visible from my vantage point but I could hear a lot of celebrating going on and what sounded like a small marching band moving throughout the city in parade fashion. After just a couple minutes I realized the explosion noises we had heard were actually fireworks. It was a surreal experience because the fireworks continued for about an hour and the noise from the parade of people slowly faded down as they made their way to wherever they were headed. At one point I called the front desk to ask what was going on and they apologized but said they did not know what the commotion was about because there was not Panamanian holiday that they were aware of. But, the did offer us complimentary ear plugs... We have visited other central American countries before and we have been awakened by big explosive bangs in the past. During those other experiences it was a brief 30 second ordeal and apparently it's customary to celebrate events such as birthdays in that manner. Well, I'm not sure if that's the reason for 5am fireworks on a Sunday night in Casco Viejo but it was only amusing after the fact when re-telling the story to friends.

Nonetheless, our visit to ATH was very brief and we would have liked to have stayed for several more days despite the fireworks. The hotel is beautiful and the staff was generous with their hospitality. And, by the way, we did not use the pool but it looked outstanding and the view from the outdoor pool deck was spectacular too. I anticipate a return visit to ATH and I'll bring my own ear plugs next time!

Room Tip: Panaroma room had a spectacular view
1 Thank Mark_25_25
Philipp R, General Manager at American Trade Hotel, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time writing such a detailed review. We are happy you had an overall exciting stay with us, although way too short. I feel terrible for the rather unusual wake-up call at 5am. The Policia National apparently decided to celebrate their 24th anniversary, which was reason enough(?) to blow-up a ton of firework at a time when regular people are deep asleep (a gentle reminder that they provide service 24/7). I'm sure not too many spectator saw the parade either.... That said, we seriously hope you will visit us again one day in the near future. And if you don't choose to come for their 25th anniversary, I promise you won't need to bring your earplugs either. With warmest regards from the ATH team.
Ormond Beach, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

Wonderful time!! Food excellent! Varied menu! Service great!! Went to the jazz room out back after... Perfect evening!! Always on the lookout for fine dining and superb entertainment in Panama!! Only disappointment was they need to have the wine that is on their list or why have a list?? Otherwise, looking forward to spending more time at the hotel!!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

We stayed here for the first half of our two week holiday in Panama. The hotel itself has been renovated well and fits in with its surroundings. The staff were very approachable and helpful. We had a potential problem with a tour we had pre-booked before we arrived and they did their best to sort it out for us. The room itself was huge and we had a balcony that we used to sit out on and watch the world go by! The courtyard, library and the sun lounger/small pool deck were nice additions to the hotel. A unique and fantastic touch was being brought different miniature desserts each night! The hotel is just a short walk from the main shops, bars and restaurants in Casco Antiguo.

1 Thank Lainee_Ashton
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

We stayed two nights at this hotel during the second week of February. At this point, the hotel had only been opened for six weeks, so admittedly, they were still working out some kinks, such as ensuring that our requested and confirmed cot was in the room when we arrived (it wasn't). But regardless of the kinks, this place is an absolute gem and will no doubt be on the map for years to come. The building itself is just gorgeous - fine attention to detail with the restoration that emanates in the lobby and rooms. It's exquisite. The staff is more than helpful - from the warm greeting upon arrival to suggestions on what to check out in the Casco Viejo. We felt very welcome. I feel lucky to be one of the first people to review this fine hotel and look forward to recommending it to many future travelers. The area itself, is, of course, something quite special. An interesting mix of newly restored and severely dilapidated. I do hope that the charm continues in the years to come. With places like the ATC, I hope that possibility is a reality.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank ShaunaJ
Philipp R, General Manager at American Trade Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Thank you so much for staying with us, ShaunaJ. As one of our first guests you will undoubtedly go into the history books, especially as you help us getting our service up to speed. I apologize we didn't fulfill your request of having a cot setup in the room. Would you please let us know the name your reservation was under, so we can dig deeper and find-out what happened (and why). I appreciate if you could e-mail me at philipp.real@americantradehotel.com. Saludos from Panama.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

We had the pleasure of staying at ATH for 4 nights this past week and loved every aspect of it. The hotel is absolutely gorgeous- it seems the proprietor has taken great care to ensure the space reflects the history and feel of the surrounding neighbourhood. It's elegant without being stuffy.

The rooms are clean and comfortable and the location is perfect. They stock Aesop toiletries and the beds and linens are very luxurious. We had rooms facing both the front and the back and the room at the front was louder as there is always something happening at the square. The balconies are a great way to take in the action.

All of the staff we encountered were incredibly friendly and helpful and in particular, Moroni and Alexis went above and beyond in making us feel welcome. Every staff member, whether they were from the restaurant, bar, housekeeping, the front desk or management was always approachable, pleasant and fantastic to deal with.

The jazz bar next door to the hotel was opening the day after we were leaving but Philipp, the General Manager of the ATH, invited us to listen to a soundcheck of some world class musicians for the following night's performance. The jazz bar is sure to be a destination in itself.

We didn't get to use the gym or the pool. The gym is small, but looked to offer the necessary equipment. The pool isn't big but the pool area has great views of the neighbourhood and never seemed to be too busy.

We has several meals at the restaurant and bar and all were excellent and good value. We especially liked the empanadas and the cauliflower dish.

We have stayed in hotels all over the world and can wholeheartedly say that this is one of the best. We would rebook at ATH in a heartbeat and would not hesitate to recommend it.

Room Tip: The front rooms are more lively.
2 Thank Neena_Karm
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

As someone else stated, this hotel truly is a game-changer for the area. I stayed here Feb 15-18 and had an absolutely wonderful time.

I certainly hope the designers of the hotel are reading this, because they absolutely nailed it. The decor and overall vibe is perfect. It's not overdone and has this low-key "world trade glamour" kinda feel -- lots of brass, fiddle-leaf figs, and tropical prints as some faint jazz music plays in the background. Perfect.

I've stayed at most of the Ace hotels in the USA, but this hotel is different and definitely raises the bar. It also doesn't have the party atmosphere that the other hotels have (which is a good thing in this instance). The crowd is very international - when I was there there were businessmen in the lobby having wine in their shorts, a group of young Japanese travelers eating lunch, and a gay couple at the bar. Very cosmopolitain.

I ate food at the hotel restaurant almost every day, and it was always great and fairly priced. The service everywhere else was always amazing, especially Moroni the bellman, who was always helpful and genuinely friendly.

The pool on the roof is small and private. Perfect to relax.

I almost don't want to write this review because I don't want people to know about the hotel -- I feel like I found a little secret! If you're looking for a trip that's kinda glamourous, kinda adventurous, and above all -- DIFFERENT, then Casco Viejo is where it's at.

Room Tip: Others have complained about noise from Herrera Square. My room faced the square but I didn't h...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank CJPowers
Philipp R, General Manager at American Trade Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear CJPowers. Thank you for sharing your secret with the rest of the world. Rest assure, we will always give you an amazing experience when you return to your new home in Casco Viejo. From your friends at ATH.