“Trendy New and Clean”

Ranked #36 of 116 Hotels in Panama City
Burlington, Vermont
“Trendy New and Clean”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014

This hotel is good value and features very helpful staff and an ultra-modern atmosphere.

The hotel is glued to it's neighbor hotel, so it can be a little easy to get lost when parking your car or finding the elevator.

The staff at check in are very friendly and try hard to help with any questions you might have. They work in a sort of island in the lobby.

My room was either new or recently renovated. It was equipped with great amenities for business and even included a port that connects your pc, camera etc to the tv. I plugged my various electronics in to charge without having to hunt for working electrical outlets. My room was not cramped and featured excellent lighting and a beautiful bathroom.

I would recommend this hotel for anyone needing to be in this part of the city. It is also very convenient to Corredor Sur, the main highway to get to Tocumen Airport.

Room Tip: Great views from some of the higher floors.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Steve L
Leonardo R, General Manager at Aloft Panama, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Dear Steve L.,
Your review says it all! It’s great to hear that you loved our design, helpful staff and found the location of the hotel to be convenient! In our guestrooms we offer high style and the latest technology like the Plug & Play Connectivity Station, Wifi and 42-inch LCD TV, so we are glad you felt comfortable and delighted with all the amenities on it. The Aloft brand is ideal for business travellers craving for a bold experience – It’s great to read that this worked for you!

Thanks again for staying with us and sharing your review on TripAdvisor. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Regards,

Leonardo Rodriguez Badel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Hebrew first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

This is the first hotel that I have ever specifically reserved after reading a marginal review. My suspicions turned out to be correct and this is a wonderful hotel that “Baby” and I enjoyed immensely. For those of you who only like conservative hotels or if you have an “old fogey” sense about yourself and only like old-fashioned places like New York’s Waldorf Astoria or The Peabody in Memphis, both of which are terrific hotels, this is not the place for you; however, if you like lively, airy, colorful places with happy people and are willing to think outside of the box (unlike many of the previous reviewers) give Aloft Panama a try.

I spent ten days in Panama City, which, to my mind is too long, and when looking for a hotel I saw reviews that said things like: the “lobby looked like a nightclub” and “worst hotel in the world” and the staff looked like “they needed supervision.” Well I spent ten nights at this hotel and I have no idea where the rest of these reviewers stayed but it could not have been this hotel. This is a flat out terrific hotel. The lobby is unconventional but exactly what you would expect from an Aloft Hotel. Folks, it is unfair to give a marginal review to a hotel simply because you failed to do your homework prior to booking it. Some of these reviews are akin to saying that “Disney World would have been more enjoyable were it not for the many children running around.” The Aloft concept is modern architecture, basic amenities and an atmosphere that encourages socialization. This is what Aloft advertises and this is what we got.

The lobby was colorful, modern and alive. There is a little snack area with light snacks, ice packets that you can take to your room and the “front desk” is situated in the middle of the lobby or rotunda. The lobby area is huge. All staff members, and I mean all, were excellent. When we checked in at 10:30 pm our room key was waiting in a packet and the check in process took about four minutes. Edgardo and Mariana worked the front desk to perfection and we called upon them often for directions and suggestions. They always greeting “Baby” and me with a smile that said “it is nice to see you again” and they are just really cool young people. They have the international passport, commonly referred to as a smile, down pat. If management truly flows from top to bottom and you can see why the Edgardo and Mariana were so happy; their front end supervisor was Marilu. I have never ever had a person stop and help me with a destination’s local scene more than Marilu. When we wanted to go to Colon, Marilu told us how. When we had trouble figuring out the toll roads and how to replenish our toll card Marilu showed us and when we expressed our desire to visit “el Barrio” so I could get a haircut and baby and I could mingle with the locals, you guessed it, Marilu told us where to go. I might also add that Leonardo Rodriguez, the General Manager is the most receptive you will ever find at a large hotel evidenced by his fast responses on this very forum.

I have to send a special “shout-out” to my man Felix, a bartender at the XYZ bar which is adjacent to the front desk. We arrived late and since there were no patrons at the bar the employees were closing down. We asked Felix if we could get a drink and he graciously poured us a couple of “Panamas.” We started talking about the local scene with Felix practicing his English while we responded in Spanish. Tthe short of it was that Felix stayed open another ninety minutes talking with us. This was our introduction to Aloft and it was just great. Within an hour we had lots of ides on places to visit, the beaches to drive to, the three big malls to visit and, most importantly, I asked Felix where I could find good San Cocho to eat. Felix recommended Trapiche and I really appreciated the wonderful recommendation. In case you are wondering, we all started singing “Felix el gato” at the bar! A great time was had by all. We were so happy with our meal at Trapiche that we showed Felix pictures of our food and the look on his face showed that he was really proud that we had driven across town to the very restaurant he recommended. Thanks Felix el Gato!

We stayed in room 1247, which I highly recommend because it is a corner room with a nice view of the city. Our room was huge. Let me repeat that, our room was huge. It had wonderful amenities like an iPod station, huge flat screen, nice coffee bar, ample closet space and the colors were vibrant. I also enjoyed playing pool listening to tunes near the XYZ Bar and the outdoor “over the edge pool” was terrific for picture taking.
Suggestions:

Rent A Car!
Albrook Mall
Trapiche restaurant @ Albrook Mall
Hike Up the Ancon
Panama Canal (late in the day)
Casco Viejo
Plaza Mayor Casco Viejo
Portola Restaurant (three blocks away)
Habibis Restaurant
Rey Supermarket (for alcohol four blocks away)
TGIF near the Balboa Yacht Club
Trump Ocean Club (for cocktails)
Hard Rock Hotel (Mamie Lee’s Bar)
Multiplaza Mall
TGI Fridays Mulitplaza Mall
The Mercado De Mariscos

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank CHOCOOLATE
Leonardo R, General Manager at Aloft Panama, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear Chocoolate,
Thank you for the amazing review, we are very glad that you decided to draw your own conclusions by staying with us. It’s truly an honor for us, especially if it’s coming from a frequent traveler like you! It’s also very exciting to know that our modern and fresh concept worked for you. As you said, “the Aloft concept is modern architecture, basic amenities and an atmosphere that encourages socialization” – that is exactly what we give to our guests.

Service is very important and our staff takes it very seriously. I will show this amazing review to our talents, especially Mariana, Edgardo, Marilu and “Felix El Gato”… I know they will love to hear from you again!!
I have to add that it's great to be recognized as a receptive GM - thank you very much for the compliment! For me, it's always a pleasure to listen to our guests.

We love that we impressed you on your first visit, hope to see you again on your next trip to Panama City.

Burnaby, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 6 nights. We originally booked 3 nights but opted to extend the stay there. The rooms were clean and comfortable and basic. The lobby was not inviting with its uncomfortable, mismatched contemporary furniture, night club lighting and loud music at night. The snack bar is a good idea but could offer more variety. The staff are all very young and not the most helpful at answering questions they just directed us next door to the Sheraton. The pool is on a roof top ledge making it windy and dirty, we just swam in the nearby Sheraton pool.
We don't even know if Aloft makes food, or has a restaurant, we were never given a tour of the place or an introduction, we had to find the pool and gym and snack bar ourselves.
We were disappointed that when we opted to extend our stay that they would not honor our original booking rate or give us some kind of discount for extending our stay.
Close to the mall and markets and a cute tea shop though.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Leonardo R, General Manager at Aloft Panama, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear shelenechrista,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review and for staying with us at Aloft Panama.
Please accept our apology regarding that there was a lack of communication about all the amenities that Aloft Panama has for you. Even though our fitness center re:charge is located at the 7th floor, the other facilities as the W XYZ Bar, Re:Fuel and Re:mix Lounge are centrally located at the lobby so our guests can mix and have an amazing experience at the same place. But it seems we didn't make you feel comfortable and I would like to apologize on behalf of the entire team.
I am sorry to hear that you felt our staff was not assisting you with your doubts and questions. I assure you that we have followed up on your comments and hope that your next experience will be different and better.

Thanks again for your feedback, we share all comments and reviews with our team and this has been very valuable.

Best regards,

Almaty, Kazakhstan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

Where to start one wonders?

1) This is not a "hotel" but a "motel" as it does not have the facilities of a hotel - such as room service. Instead they have junk foods (such as chocolate bars and soft drinks) at a "refuel station" down by reception.

2) Breakfast is supposed to start at 6am but they are never ready so we have been forced to go through to the Sheraton (attached) to get something to eat - and pay extra for the privilege. Not only that but the quality and choice of the breakfast offering when it is available is terrible. Scrambled eggs and fried salami (not even bacon for almost a week).

3) My wife had to ask three times before they came to clean the room (at 4pm) as the cleaning staff appeared to have been instructed to leave our room to last on our floor in order to concentrate on readying rooms for new guests at our expense.

4) Reception staff / management do not care in the slightest about their guests and are more interested in themselves. I am writing this review at 4:30am on a Friday morning having been kept up all night by the inauguration party held directly below my windows.- it having only now finished despite the fact that I was assured it would be over by midnight. Having seen them setting up for a party for the previous two days I made repeated requests to be moved as I have to be up at 5am to get my children off to school and I have to go to work. These requests were completely ignored as it seems the management/ ownership of the hotel care nothing about their paying guests and are only concerned with their own fun.

This has to be the worst experience I have ever had anywhere in the world (and I have stayed in some really grim places).

AVOID THIS "HOTEL" AT ALL COSTS (I WAS PUT HERE BY MY EMPLOYER SO DO NOT HAVE A CHOICE).

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank WaywardScot
Dear WaywardScot,

Thank you for your review and for being our guest. I am sorry to hear that your stay was just poor. The Aloft is a limited service hotel so we do not offer bellboys nor room service but we do offer a grab-n-go shop named Re:Fuel which is available 24-hours a day so our guest can serve themselves whenever they need it. Re:fuel offers wraps, sandwiches, salads and snacks with a tendency toward healthier foods, as well as coffee and cappuccino, even a selection of candies to sweet our guests. I am sorry to hear that you perceive it like a “junk food” station.
We do strive to exceed expectations and at the very least, meet them; we did not do so here so please accept our apologies for every aspect you mention above. I must inform you that all your comments were immediately shared with the Management Team for awareness and needed focus. Also, I passed your comments to our Food and Beverage staff so that they can improve/expand on the breakfast selections.

We hope this does not deter you from visiting us again. I would also value the opportunity to speak to you personally. Please contact me at any time convenient on your next visit to Panama City.
Leonardo.rodriguez@aloftpanama.com

New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for five nights, and had a mixed experience. First, on the good side, it is a nice hotel, with clean and comfortable rooms. I believe it is new, however, and perhaps not surprisingly, it could use a lot of operational improvements. Only one of four elevators was running (but to be fair, there were not long delays waiting for that elevator), there was loud construction on the room next door to me that began as early as 7am, one of the phones in my room didn't work and the other had no ability to dial the front desk or hotel operator, and twice I requested wake up calls from the front desk staff that never came. Thank goodness I brought a travel alarm just in case. The front desk staff did not seem to want to be helpful (they seemed very immature), so I went next door to the Sheraton whenever I had a question (for example, about local tour operators). I also used the fantastic gym at the Sheraton, rather than the ridiculously useless gym at the Aloft. Finally, I wanted to take advantage of the offer of SPG points in exchange for not having my room cleaned, but despite hanging the tag outside my door, they ignored it and cleaned my room, but only on two of the four days, yet also gave me no SPG points.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Leonardo R, General Manager at Aloft Panama, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Dear Brad_K_NY_NM,
Thank you for writing a review of your stay at the Aloft Panama. We are truly sorry for what you encountered at our hotel, especially about the issues with your phone and the noise next door. There are some rooms that are not open yet, so there are some arrangements on them that can be a little noisy. Please excuse us for this inconvenient, on your next visit please call us ahead and we will make sure to find a room where no noise could reach. You can rest assured that we have followed up every point you mention and hope that your next experience will be better.
Happy Holidays!

Regards,
San José, San Jose, Costa Rica
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

There are many, many things which I can say about this hotel but to be brief:
1. Its not your average hotel for a business trip. I was startled when I entered to see neon lights and an escalator leading to the reception desk. It is a very modern styled hotel. The breakfast area was more of a night club atmosphere than the traditional breakfast restaurant.
2. There is a need for more mature and well trained staff. The young people who attended to me definitely needed adult supervision. I am still checking my bank account daily to see if I have received a reversal of room charges as I was told would happen.
3. The snack bar is a good idea although I was disappointed to learn that the restaurant only sells hot and cold bites and not real food.
4. Fortunately it is next to the Sheraton whose restaurant provides food although the wait for food at that restaurant was phenomenally long!
5. The rooms are large and clean. However there was no room service, nor a directory telling you what numbers you can call for reception, the restaurant, housekeeping (if they provide that service etc).
6. The Wi Fi is probably the best quality about this hotel.
7. Clearly the hotel was not ready to handle the influx of people who attended the same conference as I did and should really put measures and resources in place to be able to cope with extraordinary circumstances, bearing in mind the unique location of the hotel opposite the Atlapa.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Candice21_13
Leonardo R, General Manager at Aloft Panama, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear Candice21_13,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. The Aloft is a select service hotel so we do not offer a full breakfast nor room service. You did give a very fair review of your likes or dislikes in a hotel, which is really great. You are correct Aloft is not the traditional hotel, that’s the reason the lightning, music, areas and atmosphere is far from traditional as a vision of the W Hotel brand. You can rest assured that we have followed up on your comments and hope that your next experience will be better. We look forward to having you back soon.

Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

Rooms are very comfortable. Nice connection-hub for almost every electronic device --> you can see pictures from your camera on the tv or listen to your iPod. Friendly and well-trained staff. Nice facilities (gym, pool, bar, lounge). Direct access to sheraton convention center with 24h cafeteria and taxi terminal (prices = 2x domestic prices --> only recommendable, if you don't dare to hire your taxi yourself on the neighbouring road)

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank tippadvisor
Leonardo R, General Manager at Aloft Panama, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear tippadvisor,

We truly appreciate all of your wonderful compliments on our hotel especially on the modern equipment and our friendly staff. It was our pleasure to make such an impression on you.
Thank you for mentioning some of the benefits of our Connectivity Hub and nice facilities like our Splash pool, Remix Lounge and a preview of what we offer.
Thanks for giving us such great feedback. We look forward to seeing you again!