“Uninviting contemporary hotel”

Ranked #35 of 113 Hotels in Panama City
Burnaby, Canada
“Uninviting contemporary hotel”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 6 nights. We originally booked 3 nights but opted to extend the stay there. The rooms were clean and comfortable and basic. The lobby was not inviting with its uncomfortable, mismatched contemporary furniture, night club lighting and loud music at night. The snack bar is a good idea but could offer more variety. The staff are all very young and not the most helpful at answering questions they just directed us next door to the Sheraton. The pool is on a roof top ledge making it windy and dirty, we just swam in the nearby Sheraton pool.
We don't even know if Aloft makes food, or has a restaurant, we were never given a tour of the place or an introduction, we had to find the pool and gym and snack bar ourselves.
We were disappointed that when we opted to extend our stay that they would not honor our original booking rate or give us some kind of discount for extending our stay.
Close to the mall and markets and a cute tea shop though.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Leonardo R, General Manager at Aloft Panama, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear shelenechrista,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review and for staying with us at Aloft Panama.
Please accept our apology regarding that there was a lack of communication about all the amenities that Aloft Panama has for you. Even though our fitness center re:charge is located at the 7th floor, the other facilities as the W XYZ Bar, Re:Fuel and Re:mix Lounge are centrally located at the lobby so our guests can mix and have an amazing experience at the same place. But it seems we didn't make you feel comfortable and I would like to apologize on behalf of the entire team.
I am sorry to hear that you felt our staff was not assisting you with your doubts and questions. I assure you that we have followed up on your comments and hope that your next experience will be different and better.

Thanks again for your feedback, we share all comments and reviews with our team and this has been very valuable.

Best regards,

Leonardo Rodriguez Badel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Hebrew first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Almaty, Kazakhstan
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Where to start one wonders?

1) This is not a "hotel" but a "motel" as it does not have the facilities of a hotel - such as room service. Instead they have junk foods (such as chocolate bars and soft drinks) at a "refuel station" down by reception.

2) Breakfast is supposed to start at 6am but they are never ready so we have been forced to go through to the Sheraton (attached) to get something to eat - and pay extra for the privilege. Not only that but the quality and choice of the breakfast offering when it is available is terrible. Scrambled eggs and fried salami (not even bacon for almost a week).

3) My wife had to ask three times before they came to clean the room (at 4pm) as the cleaning staff appeared to have been instructed to leave our room to last on our floor in order to concentrate on readying rooms for new guests at our expense.

4) Reception staff / management do not care in the slightest about their guests and are more interested in themselves. I am writing this review at 4:30am on a Friday morning having been kept up all night by the inauguration party held directly below my windows.- it having only now finished despite the fact that I was assured it would be over by midnight. Having seen them setting up for a party for the previous two days I made repeated requests to be moved as I have to be up at 5am to get my children off to school and I have to go to work. These requests were completely ignored as it seems the management/ ownership of the hotel care nothing about their paying guests and are only concerned with their own fun.

This has to be the worst experience I have ever had anywhere in the world (and I have stayed in some really grim places).

AVOID THIS "HOTEL" AT ALL COSTS (I WAS PUT HERE BY MY EMPLOYER SO DO NOT HAVE A CHOICE).

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank WaywardScot
Dear WaywardScot,

Thank you for your review and for being our guest. I am sorry to hear that your stay was just poor. The Aloft is a limited service hotel so we do not offer bellboys nor room service but we do offer a grab-n-go shop named Re:Fuel which is available 24-hours a day so our guest can serve themselves whenever they need it. Re:fuel offers wraps, sandwiches, salads and snacks with a tendency toward healthier foods, as well as coffee and cappuccino, even a selection of candies to sweet our guests. I am sorry to hear that you perceive it like a “junk food” station.
We do strive to exceed expectations and at the very least, meet them; we did not do so here so please accept our apologies for every aspect you mention above. I must inform you that all your comments were immediately shared with the Management Team for awareness and needed focus. Also, I passed your comments to our Food and Beverage staff so that they can improve/expand on the breakfast selections.

We hope this does not deter you from visiting us again. I would also value the opportunity to speak to you personally. Please contact me at any time convenient on your next visit to Panama City.
Leonardo.rodriguez@aloftpanama.com

New York City, New York
Reviewed December 25, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for five nights, and had a mixed experience. First, on the good side, it is a nice hotel, with clean and comfortable rooms. I believe it is new, however, and perhaps not surprisingly, it could use a lot of operational improvements. Only one of four elevators was running (but to be fair, there were not long delays waiting for that elevator), there was loud construction on the room next door to me that began as early as 7am, one of the phones in my room didn't work and the other had no ability to dial the front desk or hotel operator, and twice I requested wake up calls from the front desk staff that never came. Thank goodness I brought a travel alarm just in case. The front desk staff did not seem to want to be helpful (they seemed very immature), so I went next door to the Sheraton whenever I had a question (for example, about local tour operators). I also used the fantastic gym at the Sheraton, rather than the ridiculously useless gym at the Aloft. Finally, I wanted to take advantage of the offer of SPG points in exchange for not having my room cleaned, but despite hanging the tag outside my door, they ignored it and cleaned my room, but only on two of the four days, yet also gave me no SPG points.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Leonardo R, General Manager at Aloft Panama, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Dear Brad_K_NY_NM,
Thank you for writing a review of your stay at the Aloft Panama. We are truly sorry for what you encountered at our hotel, especially about the issues with your phone and the noise next door. There are some rooms that are not open yet, so there are some arrangements on them that can be a little noisy. Please excuse us for this inconvenient, on your next visit please call us ahead and we will make sure to find a room where no noise could reach. You can rest assured that we have followed up every point you mention and hope that your next experience will be better.
Happy Holidays!

Regards,
San José, San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed December 7, 2013

There are many, many things which I can say about this hotel but to be brief:
1. Its not your average hotel for a business trip. I was startled when I entered to see neon lights and an escalator leading to the reception desk. It is a very modern styled hotel. The breakfast area was more of a night club atmosphere than the traditional breakfast restaurant.
2. There is a need for more mature and well trained staff. The young people who attended to me definitely needed adult supervision. I am still checking my bank account daily to see if I have received a reversal of room charges as I was told would happen.
3. The snack bar is a good idea although I was disappointed to learn that the restaurant only sells hot and cold bites and not real food.
4. Fortunately it is next to the Sheraton whose restaurant provides food although the wait for food at that restaurant was phenomenally long!
5. The rooms are large and clean. However there was no room service, nor a directory telling you what numbers you can call for reception, the restaurant, housekeeping (if they provide that service etc).
6. The Wi Fi is probably the best quality about this hotel.
7. Clearly the hotel was not ready to handle the influx of people who attended the same conference as I did and should really put measures and resources in place to be able to cope with extraordinary circumstances, bearing in mind the unique location of the hotel opposite the Atlapa.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Candice21_13
Leonardo R, General Manager at Aloft Panama, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear Candice21_13,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. The Aloft is a select service hotel so we do not offer a full breakfast nor room service. You did give a very fair review of your likes or dislikes in a hotel, which is really great. You are correct Aloft is not the traditional hotel, that’s the reason the lightning, music, areas and atmosphere is far from traditional as a vision of the W Hotel brand. You can rest assured that we have followed up on your comments and hope that your next experience will be better. We look forward to having you back soon.

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Rooms are very comfortable. Nice connection-hub for almost every electronic device --> you can see pictures from your camera on the tv or listen to your iPod. Friendly and well-trained staff. Nice facilities (gym, pool, bar, lounge). Direct access to sheraton convention center with 24h cafeteria and taxi terminal (prices = 2x domestic prices --> only recommendable, if you don't dare to hire your taxi yourself on the neighbouring road)

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank tippadvisor
Leonardo R, General Manager at Aloft Panama, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear tippadvisor,

We truly appreciate all of your wonderful compliments on our hotel especially on the modern equipment and our friendly staff. It was our pleasure to make such an impression on you.
Thank you for mentioning some of the benefits of our Connectivity Hub and nice facilities like our Splash pool, Remix Lounge and a preview of what we offer.
Thanks for giving us such great feedback. We look forward to seeing you again!