“2nd Time Stay, Great hotel BUT POOR FRONT DESK STAFF this trip”

Radisson Decapolis Hotel Panama City
Ranked #25 of 114 Hotels in Panama City
New Jersey
“2nd Time Stay, Great hotel BUT POOR FRONT DESK STAFF this trip”
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I'm extremely critical in all my reviews as Trip Advisor has served me abounds for the past 10yrs now its time to pay it forward. This was my second stay at Radisson Decapolis, my inital was 4 years ago shortly after they opened if I remember correctly. I enjoyed my stay & really like this hotel, this time with one large exception, the front desk staff. After a horrific day of dealing with airlines my itinerary for my trip changed and I was forced to stay in Panama for 3 days, not the worst place to wind up I'm certainly fond of the country. I had no reservation when I arrived late on a Saturday afternoon assuming it would be no problem the hotel is large and alot of newer hotels have been built at nearly the same price point per night. When I got to the front desk straight off the plane to inquire about rates I was told they had no rooms available in brief by a blonde haired girl, no hesitation, nothing. She then made a half wit effort to consult with what was perhaps the manager whispering something to her the other girl shook her head and the blonde hair girl replied again no rooms available, you can try Hard Rock next door. I replied I have no phone to call anyone and don't want to ride around town looking for a hotel can I use the business center 1 floor up to call and find a room, she said sure.

In the business center 1 floor up, it was a whole different story, I was in an emergency situation regarding my travel plans & immediately chose to contact my airline with use of the phone to make sure I have a way back to the states. The girl at the desk Marlena maybe? Absolutely wonderful, let me tie up her phone for almost 1.5hrs with my airline to get my travel plans corrected. She also suggested places to go out later for a drink & they turned out wonderful (hadn't been there in 4 years and no time to research & it was Saturday night) Meantime a couple next to us overheard our issue with the hotel being "sold out" & stated they were told the same 2 days prior and went online in the business center and booked a room, went right back down showed them the reservation and they had no issue. We did the exact same and saved 20% online! Radisson, is this how you train your front desk staff?? To lie to potential REPEAT customers who chose your hotel 20 minutes from the airport over all available options?? We went back down to get our room keys for what was our apparently unavailable room. The staff was quite to say the least, we kept our cool knowing this to be addressed online but the whole experience was unnecessary.

Overall of course the stay was as great even 4 years later, comfortable beds, great shower, great water pressure, decent wifi even in the room. Maid was cleaning our room within 5 minutes of us leaving it each day. Business center was decent computers were fairly quick and they didn't charge you to print out your e-tickets. Staff of business center receives high accolades for being so patient and helping me in what was a real time of need. I would definitely return in fact I plan to, but I hope the front desk staff issues are rectified as their actions were unacceptable.

Tips; Negotiate the cab drivers never accept their first price unless you think its reasonable unfortunately panama doesn't really have regulation or metered cabs. Get the included breakfast there is alot of variety at a fair price great way to start your day.

Room Tip: Higher floors definetely a plus for the views, there is construction in the hotel if you arrive earl...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
6 Thank SunsetInStyle
ssenega, Director de Recepción at Radisson Decapolis Hotel Panama City, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share how was your stay with us. We are thrilled to see that you enjoyed your time at the hotel.

Anyhow, I have shared your comments with the staff and I assure you we are working diligently to ensure a similar situation does not occur again in the future. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to recognize them for a job well done and to remark to them the importance of a good attitude in the hospitality industry.

On behalf of our entire staff at Radisson we thank you for your business and hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!

+507-215-5000

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Roatan, Honduras
Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

On my way to South America I have and over night in Panama. This hotel great location it is connect to a mall and a casino if that what your are into. One of the pluses is that I messed up and booked the wrong night on a non refundable room. That when we called they had no issues changing it to the correct night. There service is one of the best I have felt with in Latin America. Only negative as with most hotel is that we live is this new electronic age and we all have pad pod and phones and next to there bed are no outlets. It is and easy fix just purchase lamps with out let's on them so we can get things charged up to stay connected

• Stayed January 2014
ssenega, Director de Recepción at Radisson Decapolis Hotel Panama City, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are thrilled to see that you enjoyed your time at the hotel.

On behalf of our entire staff at Radisson we thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed January 5, 2014

The hotel location was great. Overall we enjoyed our stay. However, we had few problems....1) the a/c in the room did not work well. We complained, they sent a technician and it still did not cool the room enough. 2) Internet in the room did not work on the 1st day. 3) on 2nd day of our stay, the maid did not Leave any towel what-so-ever in the bathroom 4) it was very hard getting hold of front desk and house keeping on the phone. I think they were under staffed. The location was great and the mall across the street was very nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on left side if you want ocean view. The rooms on the right side has a great views o...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Love2Travel704
ssenega, Director de Recepción at Radisson Decapolis Hotel Panama City, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us. In reviewing your comments I noticed areas where I consider being not acceptable, including housekeeping, Internet and A/C.

I want to make sure that you feel your comments were heard.

I'm hoping that you'll visit us again. If you'd like, you can reach me at the phone number or email listed below. It would be a pleasure to personally discuss with you any specifics and / or suggestions you'd like to offer.

We are working diligently to correct these issues and I appreciate that you brought them to my attention.

New York City, New York
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Great hotel, price was very reasonable, nice jacuzzi, good views (ask for a high floor), pretty good breakfast, very friendly staff, and our stay came with a $20 credit towards their bar. I highly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor upon check-in
Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jeff K
Dear Jeff,

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

We are staying at the hotel currently. There is a big construction project going in next to the hotel that starts at 7am. We complained and were told the manager will call us, and never did. The sushi resturaunt at the hotel had terrible service. The didn't have any sake, took them 20 min to come by, they said they didn't have any change when we payed them. And the waitresses were ignoring us and giving us attitude when they did finally come. Horrible service. I complained about the service and have yet to hear from the phantom manager (who I was told doesn't speak any English.)
The room is nice and clean however. But the Hardrock Hotel is right next door and it seems to be better staffed. I am just frustrated with the service and the lack of attention on the managerial staff.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Marilynjoon
Dear Marilyn,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us. In reviewing your comments, I noticed areas where I consider being not aceptable.

I want to make sure that you feel your comments were heard.

Michigan
Reviewed December 13, 2013

To end a one month vacation in Panama, we spent our last night at the Raddison Decapolis in Panama City. What a fabulous experience. Our room was about 850 sq. feet with 1 1/2 baths, two rooms, one a living room with sofa, four chairs and a flat screen tv on a console. In that room there was also a wet bar with assorted liquors, soft drinks and snacks. The second room was a bedroom with a flat screen tv and a very nice bath room. The service was perfect. The room we reserved cost $127, I inquired upon checking out whether the price we paid was the usual charge for the room and found out that they actually upgraded us for the same price. Along with our room we got $20 credit at the bar, excellent breakfast and $25 match play at the casino in the Multi-Centro Mall which was reached by a skyway between the hotel and the mall.

Our stay was a wonderful experience. Anyone who would not appreciate the value and service we got would probably never be happy with any accomodations. Big thumbs up for the Raddison Decapolis.

Room Tip: Ask for Room 2404. It is magical.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LSchu77570
Dear Guest,

Ottawa
Reviewed December 5, 2013

We took a Noli-tour Duo out of Montreal to see both the beach and the big city! The Excellent rating is for the Decapolis (radisson) in the city. The Decameron at Costa Blanca is GOOD not excellent.

The airplane trip was great! It does help to purchase better seats (option plus) offered by Transat. Small niceties like extra leg room, champagne right after take off, pre-selection of meals, travel pack (pillow, blanket, headsets), and free drink(s)... all worth the extra money.

Airport was quick - though expect to be photographed and fingerprinted! This is not a typical island airport - much more high tech like ours!

Our first five days at the Decameron went well - though you need to know this: THE HOTEL IS BUILT ON A HILL SIDE AND THERE ARE MAJOR STAIRS EVERYWHERE! IF YOU ARE MOBILITY CHALLENGED, GET A ROOM ON THE BEACH! Otherwise, you will need to rely on the mini bus to fetch you and take you around - doable, but not instantaneous! There are many bars and restaurants and it's a big place. You need to be aware of this.

We did try the Panamai, Mediteranean and the Kon Tiki a la cartes, all excellent. We upgraded to building 30 on the beach for 40/night - well worth the upgrade. And, we had to purchase WIFI as it is limited in the hotel... 40 for 3 days. Also worth the money.... but you need to plan for that a 3.00 a day for a safe - not included! It all adds up! Service was good with or without a tip.

Buffet was typical - service excellent. Never a wait for a table, coffee, wine, water, utensils... always find something to eat. Several carving stations with recognizable meat (turkey, pork, beef, chicken, fish), and the usual salads and deserts...

Bar service was excellent and featured name brands. Coffee stations with capacino machines abound - also great!

Be sure and walk to the right on the beach (as you face the ocean) to the 3 highrises there - about 1/2 hour - there is a Canadian bar there called Woody's - nice to get a shot of rye and see all those hockey jerseys - they also have poutine, wings, filet mignon and lobster if you are tired of buffett/hotel food! Owner is Monique Woods and she is a wonderful person!

Now back to the Decapolis in town - totally fusion and very nice! We were pleasantly surprised to see a fully stocked martini bar in the lobby with Sushi behind it upon check in. Hotel has modern rooms, great high end breakfast buffet with smoked salmon and even eggs benedict, and fantastic a la carte dinners at their restaurant - all included! Again, good wines and good brand liquors.

This hotel is connected to a shopping mall and the majestic casino by a tunnel.
There is also a small pool deck on 4th floor with bar, chairs, etc, and a spa right across from it.

There is a lower lobby for Decameron/Decapolis travelers and we were able to arrange a private transfer back to airport on the last day so we could have two extra hours at the pool by not having to take the big bus - reasonable fee: 15.00 for four.

This hotel is all about service! When we checked in, they forgot to give us a phone message. When we raised it at the desk, the manager Santiago immediately came over, identified himself, apologized, and offered to comp our room service bill - 25.00. Lovely. When you call down to the desk, they call you by name!! Gotta love that!

The town is booming, with the expansion of the canal and construction all around! No doubt an up and coming place!

Be sure and take a walk through Casco Viejo and see the old city - worth the trip for about 5.00 u.s. - and lovely.

Overall, a great discovery of a new place! Not your typical resort holiday!

Room Tip: Beach rooms are a must if you cannot do stairs at the Decameron (costa blanca) and any room at the...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Lyse F
Dear Lyse,

Thank you for taking the time to write about us. I am thrilled to see that you enjoyed your stay at Radisson in Panama City!

I have shared your compliments with the team. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to recognize them for a job well done and to remark to them the importance of a good attitude in the hospitality industry.

On behalf of our entire staff at Radisson we thank you for your business and we are looking forward to welcome you back again!

All the best,