“Tryp Hotel at Albrook Mall, the Best Part of Panama”

Wyndham Panama Albrook Mall
Ranked #5 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We are from Las Vegas where they provide great service and it is hard for us to be impressed when we travel. However, we stayed for 7 nights at the Tryp and it was wonderful! The service was great, much of the staff spoke English, and the employees were very friendly and helpful!
From the moment we arrived at 6:30 PM, the Front Desk staff, managed by Sugey Sousa, started taking care of us. They offered and arranged to send our bags to our room so we could participate in the Glenn Simon's, the General Manager, 5:00 to 7:00 PM Happy Hour at the bar. Every Thursday and Friday they provide free drinks and cheese at the bar. Glenn came over to meet us and tell us to ask for him if we needed anything. He made sure we received some extra drinks after Happy Hour since we arrived so late. The bartender Orial always had a smile and took time to get to know us. We enjoyed visiting with him. The hotel staff was smiling, friendly, and helpful.

The food was good and there were several options for inexpensive breakfasts if you did not want to participate in the great free breakfast. There were many more selections than normal at the free breakfast.

The hotel is attached to the Albrook Mall, but you never heard outside noises from the mall, streets, or airport. The mall is very large with normal department stores including Zara, Calvin Klein, etc and many Panama based chains. It also has a grocery store and many U.S. fast food restaurants.

The main Panama City bus station is outside the mall to allow you to get around the country easier. The airport providing flights within Panama is a few minutes drive or taxi ride away.

We seldom write reviews, but this hotel was so good we felt we must recommend it.

Even though we have stayed in other hotels, we will always stay at the Tryp anytime we are in Panama City.

Room Tip: Can't go wrong with any room in the hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Karen C
Glenn S, General Manager at Wyndham Panama Albrook Mall, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Thank you for your nice review of our hotel. Being from Las Vegas it is clear that you certainly know hotels. Being in the hotel business Las Vegas is one of those cities every hotelier desires to visit during their career and I finally had my chance last September – you certainly have a great city. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I am glad to see that some of our team members such as Sugey and Oriel took such great care of you. So you made it to our Client Cocktail Hour – it is such a great way to get to know our guests and to find out in what ways we can improve. Thank you for selecting us as your hotel of choice in Panama City. Hasta Luego -- Glenn Simon, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,636)

Reviewed February 13, 2014

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Tryp Hotels
Glenn S, General Manager at Wyndham Panama Albrook Mall, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2014

Reviewed February 10, 2014

We stayed for 4 nights at the Tryp Hotel at Albrook Mall from Jan. 30 to Feb. 3, 2014. On our last day, we had trouble opening our in-room safe (although we were 100% certain of our 4-digit code). We called the reception for assistance and had to call twice when almost an hour passed by. As we were in the room talking (and I have to emphasize we were all females), the employee (a male age approximately 60) stormed in WITHOUT knocking the door first or ringing the bell (rooms have door bells)!! He just came in without speaking or apologizing or ANYTHING!!! We were shocked and left paralyzed by this man’s actions; and how he just invaded our privacy!! I immediately said “Sir you scared us!!” Language was NOT an issue as we are bilingual so I said it in Spanish…”Señor que susto nos ha dado!”..still no reply back. We waited for him to finish the re-programming of the safe without saying another word, as we were left speechless; and my daughter is a young girl. He suddenly just left. I immediately went down to file a report and the front-desk attendant was very apologetic and assured me that the security system will be reviewed to identity him and a warning will be issued. Manager please look up report on the morning of Feb. 2, 2014 Room 828.
My disappointment was that I did NOT kick him OUT INMEDIATELY from the room!! But we are humans and cannot anticipate how we’ll react under these intense situations. However, I was mad at the fact that the lady was more concerned with the fact that he was “not polite” and did not speak. I emphasized that I could not care less if he said good morning or not BUT that we were dealing WITH A SAFETY ISSUE. We never received a phone call to the room or a letter from the Hotel management apologizing for the obviously awful incident. The following morning as we were checking out, I requested an update on my complaint (the same front-desk lady was there so she had knowledge of it) and STILL she was apologetic for his rudeness in not saying good morning and gave me a speech on how she had been trained on customer service skills but he was not. I plainly said, “Listen you are still missing the point this IS A SAFETY ISSUE!!!” I actually said “Mira entiendo eso pero tú no entiendes aun que no es que el no nos dijo buenos días esto es cuestión de la SEGURIDAD de tus huéspedes”….still she did not get it.
Awful experience, hope they handled, or after this review, will handle my report with the highest level of importance and that no one (female, male, young, old, by-themselves, in a group) will have an un-assured feeling of safety and relaxation that they ARE ENTITLED TO and that no one will invade their room and privacy. Next time this can happen to a female or male sleeping or showering alone. TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Dr_Velazquez

Thank you for you for staying with us and for your detailed feedback. I deeply apology for the manner in which a team member entered your guest room to assist with the safe that you requested to be open. We did review the security cameras located on your floor and it confirmed that proper procedures were not followed in entering your guest room. The team member had thought that a housekeeper requested a safe to be open in guest room in which the guest departed but left the safe locked which happens often. We have sat down and reviewed the correct procedures with our team members that have access to guest rooms to make sure this type of incident does not occur again. If I can be of further assistance with questions or future reservations, please email at gsimon@tryphotel-am.com We hope to have an opportunity to serve you again should you travel plans bring you back to Panama. Hasta Luego -- Glenn Simon, General Manager

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Great new hotel attatched to the Albrook Mall. Only had one night here before flying up to Bocas and wished I had booked it for our return as well rather than where we did stay. Everything is still very new and so in good condition. Rooms are very nice, sound proofed which is good in Panama. Great aircon , cable TV, safe, Tea and coffee and an iron and ironing board if required. Contrary to a previous poster I did not find the beds hard, everyone is different. The included buffet breakfast was good with a decent selection and an omlet station.Pool looked nice but no time for a dip. If getting a cab tell them that you want a normal yellow cab, the hotel one is overpriced as is true of all Panama hotels. Great location if you are taking an internal flight but be aware traffic can be horrific and a 5 minute trip can be a lot longer.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for staying with us and for your nice review. I am glad that you enjoyed the convenience of our hotel being connected to Albrook Mall and just 4 minutes to Albrook Airport where you could catch your early morning flight to Bocas. Our hotel does have a company that offers transportation service 24 hours and our guest are also welcome to call “yellow cab”. We hope to have an opportunity to serve you again should you travel plans bring you back to Panama. Hasta Luego -- Glenn Simon, General Manager

Reviewed February 9, 2014

This place is just okay. The service is average. They double charged us for something at the cafe, which we're still in the process of trying to resolve. The shower drain was clogged, which always grosses me out. The pros are that the bed was very comfortable and the room was quiet. Ambiance is zero. It is, and feels like it is, located in a mall. But close to domestic airport and panama canal.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for you for staying with us and for your detailed feedback. I am glad to hear that your bed was comfortable and that your room was quiet. I apologize that you were double billed in our cafe. If this has not been resolved, please email at gsimon@tryphotel-am.com and I will take care of it immediately. I also apologize that you felt our “ambiance is zero” – we are working on some new promotions in our Gastro Bar and will be adding an additional large screen TV in the bar as many of our guests enjoy watching sporting events. We hope to have an opportunity to serve you again should you travel plans bring you back to Panama. Hasta Luego -- Glenn Simon, General Manager

Reviewed February 7, 2014

This place ALMOST does it. The overall visual effect is probably the best thing.
Construction: Very nicely made with the exception of cheap, flimsy toilet seats.
Infinity pool GORGEOUS!
Room: Looked great, beds hard as a rock.
Location: Loved that it was connected to the Albrook Mall. Access to/from city streets difficult.
Cleanliness: Spot on. Only issue - There wasn't a "Do Not Disturb" door hanger and the door hanger that was there didn't keep the cleaning staff out. They did a WONDERFUL job, just didn't want them to.
Staff: Front desk speaks English and our (Travelocity reservation) check-in time was fairly quick
Car was valet parked before I was through checking in. Not sure I liked that. When I got out of the car after an 8 hour drive, I didn't realize I wouldn't have time to do a last sweep, tidy it up or put my GPS away.
General helpfulness: Sadly lacking. First hotel I've been to that didn't have a map of the area available. Plus, no map of the Mall. Really?
We twice asked: Can you rent an electric wheelchair? Neither person ever called our room with an answer. BTW - No you can't.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for you for staying with us and for your detailed feedback. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our “GORGEOUS” infinity pool, our guest rooms and the fact that we are connected to Albrook Mall. I apologize that we forgot to place the "Do Not Disturb" door hanger in your room. Should you stay with us again I wanted to let you know that we also provide an electronic “Privacy” and “Make Up Room” buttons inside your room, near the door. Pressing the “Privacy” button activates a small “Privacy” sign outside your guest room and your doorbell is deactivated. Pressing the “Make Up Room” button activates a small “green light” to let the housekeeper know you would like your room cleaned. Regarding maps for Panama City -- they are hard to find. Two suggestions I can offer is a “free” smart phone application that a lot of people use called “WAZE” it works just like a GPS and it also alerts you if police are on the road ahead of you or you can use a GPS. Regarding an electric wheelchair, I apologize that we did not get back to your regarding the information you requested. Should you return to Panama and need an electric wheelchair you can rent them from Hogar y Salud, located on Via Israel, the telephone is (507) 236-6097, main contact is Yasury Ledezma and the email address is equiposd@hogarysalud.net Our goal is to make sure every guest leaves satisfied and I apologize that this this was not the case with your stay. If I can be of further assistance with questions or future reservations, please email at gsimon@tryphotel-am.com We hope to have an opportunity to serve you again should you travel plans bring you back to Panama. Hasta Luego -- Glenn Simon, General Manager

Reviewed February 1, 2014

As my title says, everything about this hotel is just okay. Let's start with check-in. Six people in line took about an hour. Three people were behind the desk, but only one actually doing the check-in. It wouldn't be such a big deal, if it wasn't the normal check-in time published by the hotel. For the most part the staff was friendly, however, none of them seemed to give that little extra effort you would see at Tryp Times Square or LA. The pool was a little rooftop pool with a small bar. The best word to describe it was okay. The rooms were what I expected and comparable to most other hotels. The only complaint I had was that they were remodeling some of the rooms. Instead of blocking off part of the wing or floor to do this, they just "worked around" the guest. So we had some hammering and paint smell. Overall, I'd rate this hotel as "Okay".

• Stayed: January 2014

Thank you for staying with us and for your detailed review. I apologize for the slow check-in time. Our goal is to check in a guest in 4 to 5 minutes; however, during the peak check-in & check-out times it will take longer if there is a line. Regarding the noise you heard, you were probably on a floor where we are completing a “PM” – a preventive maintenance program in the guest room. Every room in the hotel receives a “PM” every 6 months to maintain our room quality. We try to do this midweek during the day when the majority of the guests are not in the hotel as this is a challenging task as the hotel operates “24 – 7”. I apologize that you heard hammering and smelled paint. Thank you so much for your comments. We hope to have an opportunity to serve you again should you travel plans bring you back to Panama. Hasta Luego -- Glenn Simon, General Manager