“beautiful site, terrible service”

Capital Bistro Panama
Ranked #24 of 980 Restaurants in Panama City
Cuisines: Caribbean, Seafood, Central American, International, Spanish
Good for: Scenic view, Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Llego a Panama un nuevo proyecto del mas alto nivel, disenado por el famoso arquitecto espanol Ignacio Garcia de Vinuesa y liderado por el top chef reconocido mundialmente Elias Murciano, logrando una fusion con los mas altos estandares de diseno y alta cocina.Un lugar unico y exclusivo con tres ambientes, en donde podra apreciar en su interior sus bellos y abstractos disenos y, disfrutar de sus dos terrazas al aire libre con las mas espectaculares vistas panoramicas la costa panamena.Este restaurante viene a revolucionar la gastronomia en Panama, con un staff altamente calificado en la mas exacta preparacion, coccion y presentacion de platos que seran un verdadero extasis al paladar.
Panama City, Panama
“beautiful site, terrible service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

Two friends from Canada were visiting and we decided to try this new restaurant, located in a superb place in the Old City. One of them was staying in a great hotel close by so we said, why not? So one of us reserved for two persons, but at the end the third decided to come along. Never, in Panama City, adding one more person to a reservation was a problem. This time, we arrived, asked for our reserve and explained that we were three instead of two. The waiter asked the maitre d´, who told HER, that they have no space for us. He turned his back to us and simply left.... We were astonished not only of the refusal, but mostly by his attitude. This is supposed to be a fine restaurant. Maybe, but with very low standards.... - will never go there again.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank richard b

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Based on my experience, one of the best restaurants in Panama!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

I have been a couple of times to Panama and it was hard to find a restaurant like this one. I mean, there are good restaurants, with delicious food in the city but none of them have the cuisine and location that this offers.

I went with my family during the week they opened so we decided to try the degustation menu. I don't know if they have it regularly but it was really good. It included 7 dishes that went from 2 appetizers, a mini soup and a ceviche. Then we had a grilled octopus, and a different version of a carpaccio as starters.

We had a fish, with a light white sauce and then a good piece of beef with mini veggies before the dessert. We finished with homemade ice cream and mini fruits, very refreshing.

One thing about the restaurants in Panama is that is the lack of good service. Here the service was good, I noted how the waiters served properly (first the women, then men). It's not a super formal concept but it's like a bistro.

I made a research before going there and apparently the chef used to run a restaurant in Madrid that was awared with one Michelin star.

Another thing about this place is that it's possible to have a conversation. I tried other restaurants in Casco Viejo and in the Punta Pacifica area and they are loud. So if you have a business meeting, come here.

They have a beautiful terrace where you can see the whole skyline and the sea.

One bad thing about this restaurant is that it doesn't have that many tables so you might want to reserve before if you don't want to wait.

I hope you enjoyed as much as I did.

• Visited March 2013