“Exploring Panama City”

Ranked #2 of 117 Hotels in Panama City
Indianapolis
“Exploring Panama City”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed here on a Spring Break trip to Panama City. The hotel had just opened a few weeks earlier. (It even smelled new.) Very American accomodations. Unfortunately, the spa wasn't opened yet. Would have enjoyed spending time there! Looks like it will be very nice with great views. The hotel did make arrangements for us to get massages at a local spa. Directions were a little weak, but we eventually found it.

The rooftop pool was fun. Great views of Costa del Este and Panama City. Hotel is located in a newer section of town. Rather affluent area and the business/financial district. Several good restaurants within walking distance but not any nightlife to speak of in the evenings. Very much the business district.

We used the hotel as a launching pad to sightsee in Panama City. There are other hotels closer to attractions, but the Westin was very nice. Love their beds!

Ate at the hotel one evening. Food was OK. Much better placed to eat, but will work in a pinch. Go explore if you can! Service was a little slow in the restaurant. Hotel staff was very friendly and accommodating. We had access to the Executive Lounge. Very nice spread of food for breakfast and evening appetizers. Could make a meal out of it! Free internet access via computers there as well.

Room Tip: Find a room away from the ice maker. And one that's not a connecting room. We found the rooms to...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Esteban U, Quality Manager at The Westin Panama, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Hi Mark,

It is terrific to know that you enjoyed your stay with us on your recent visit. Nice picture of the rooftop pool! Our Executive Club and Heavenly Beds are some of our signature features here at The Westin Panama and around the globe.
Our Spa will be open very soon with treatment cabins, hot tubs, sauna and Turkish baths. We will be here waiting for you to try it out!

Esteban

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a brand new hotel at the Costa del Este area which is growing dramatically. I had an overall good experience. Staff was very friendly and happy to assist. Many have very limited english skills, but it works. The room was clean, very very comfortable bed and I did not have any issues with noise. The restaurant is good with a very good breakfast buffet. The reserved hotel car service to and from Tocumen airport is very good and worth the money (about $30 USD OW). I will stay here again if I have business in the area. The area feels very safe.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear H B,

I appreciate you taking the time to share with other travelers about your stay with us. We are so pleased to know your business trip was comfortable and pleasant and that our staff looked out for you. Many of our guests take advantage of our proximity and services to Tocumen Airport, I am glad you did as well.

We hope to have you over again soon.

Miami
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I go to Panama often for business, but the city is just getting too crazy with traffic. If you have to do any business in Costa del Este or near the airport, like me, this is your hotel.

I have stayed now 2 times at the Westin Panama. The first time the hotel had just opened and there were a few minor hiccups with service (room service took forever) and there was still plenty of construction. Now, I just came back from my second stay and I most say I love the hotel.

The staff was great (in particular Maria Teresa at the front desk) and I love the clean sleek design of the lobby and lobby bar. It´s modern without being pretentious. The rooms are average size, but very well thought and the colors are neutral and relaxing... and the bed, well, I just love Westin heavenly beds. Nothing compares.

I stayed the weekend, and yes, as other reviewers note, there isn't much in the area. But to my surprise, one great deal this hotel offers is access to the beach at the sister Westin Playa Bonita (which is absolutely stunning - but wayyy more expensive), so I got to spend all day at the beach which is just 20 minutes away.

I am definitely staying here next time I have meetings in Costa del Este.

Room Tip: Become SPG member. You will get upgraded!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Esteban U, Quality Manager at The Westin Panama, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience. We're pleased we corrected the bumps of your previous visit and delighted to read about the lovely time you had with us. I know Maria Teresa joins me in thanking you for your compliments. Can't wait to have you back as we will be here waiting for you.

Warmest,

Belo Horizonte
Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

Upon arrival I was swiftly checked-in and received an Platinum upgrade to a "Business Suite". I would guess the furniture in the living room is temporary, because it seems to be directly out of a furniture rental store and placed without much taste. Imagine a "Business Suite" with a miniscule work desk tucked into a corner..... The only light in the bedroom was from the bed lights, which makes it difficult to see anything at night. Bathroom is OK with separate shower/tub. Air-condition is so loud that you cannot have it on at night. All in all a very average to poor room experience. Small but nice pool area and fitness center are located on the upper floor.
The Executive Lounge is nicely appointed, but service staff badly needs training and oversight. Downstairs reception, bar and restaurant areas are nicely appointed and food is OK without being anything extraordinary.
Costa del Este is a comfortable 15 minutes drive from the Tocumen airport, and about the same from downtown depending on trafic, which can be heavy in Panama. It is a new (and still unfinished) upscale office and residential area, with little to no shops or restaurants. If you do not have business in the area, you are probably better of staying closer to downtown.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank WorldflyerBrazil
Dear Sir,

I apologize for the disappointing details of your stay. I thank you for sharing them as I have already passed along for review some ideas to better serve you and other travelers next time. Please see the message sent to you and we hope we have the opportunity to show you a better experience.

Warmest,

São Paulo
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I have stayed in other Westin Hotels and the experience was always great, mainly in Florence and Auckland. But Westin Panama was a bit disapointing... I spent five nights in March. The hotel is new, it opened 4 months ago. Like all big, american hotels, it has no special charm but is OK. The service needs a LOT of improvement though. Room service took 1h10 to bring a simple caesar salad. Breakfast is served from 6:30 am on, but don't expect to have all the food available before 7:00 am. If it is included on your room charge, fine, otherwise it is not worth the price. My room was located at the executive floor, close to a very noisy maintenance room. I have complained twice about the noise but nothing was done. Therefore, sleep quality was far from being perfect. One of the nights I could hardly hear the room television because of the corridor noise. The gym is good, located on the last floor with an impressive view of the sea. Location is good, Costa Del'este only if you have to work there, as it was my case. If not, you'd rather stay near the city centre. Costa del'este is a new area still developing and far from most of the nicest hotels, shops and restaurants in the city.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank saopaulo36
Esteban U, Quality Manager at The Westin Panama, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear Madame,

We are saddened to hear of your disappointing stay at our property. In the name of all the staff here at Westin Panama let me extend my sincere apologies for all the inconveniences. We appreciate the time you took to provide us with your feedback and would like to assure you the necessary actions and steps are being taken to address the issues that made your stay unpleasant. We hope to welcome you back soon to show you efforts of improvement have been made as we strive to exceed your expectations.

Atenciosamente,

Esteban Ulate
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Stayed here for a week plus on a biz trip.
It's brand new and so there was some construction activity going on (the whole area seems on a building boom)...but I wasn't bothered by any noise. My room was next to the elevators which I also thought might mean some noise, but nope!

As for fun, the Costa Del Este area is about as fun as a suburb in an upper middle-class area in the US. It's lame as hell. My company's building is right across the street, so it was convenient...but that is about all you'll find. For any fun, you have to get a car into the city and be careful: if you don't speak Spanish or look like a gringo, you could get overcharged. The hotel staff will look out for you though, and hook you up with someone reputable. And as anywhere in the world, always agree to the price before you get in or put any of your stuff in.

The staff was the best part of the hotel. In typical Latin fashion, they were extremely warm and hospitable without trying too hard or making you feel on edge. I had read sketchy things about service in Panama City and I did not find it to be true at the Westin. Service was really good.

Breakfast at the hotel is OK...(the girl who makes the omelets is really cool). Definitely try the queao nacional. BUT...my advice is to skip breakfast at the hotel one morning and go to one of the guys selling food on their bike-carts at the construction sites all around the area...and ask for a "chicheme" and dont forget to pronounce the last 'e'. It is this delicious slightly sweet thick drink made from fresh white young corn and milk. It is a really typical Panamanian thing, and you can get it right at the corner around 7-8 if you go out the front door and make a left. I am definitely having it when I go back. Just make sure you get

Dinner at the restaurant was OK. Would have liked a bit more of a selection of Panamanian cuisine, but no big deal. There is a Peruvian place down the road which was good also.

• Stayed February 2013
Marja R, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Panama, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear David W,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the hotel. We are most gratified to know that you had a pleasant, comfortable stay and that our staff took good care of you. You are spot on with the “chicheme” as it is a delicious hidden wonder. Your input on the menu will be taken in consideration and we thank you for the valuable insight.

Be well,

Marja Vargas
Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

New hotel in business area outside Panama with magnificent view. Great rooms, service and clean premices. Way(!) too much noise in hallways and from neighbours due to ultrathin doors/walls - be carefull not to get a room close to the icemachine as it will keep you awake. Great breakfast but dinner awfull. In short: remember earplugs and avoid dinner.

• Stayed March 2013
Marja R, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Panama, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Sir,
Thank you for taking the time to share with us and other travelers about your recent stay at the Westin Panama. It is a pleasure for us to hear that you enjoyed the facilities and services at the hotel. Your feedback is very important for us and we take it very seriously.
I would like to share with you that our engineering department is checking all the ice machines and working to reduce the noise as some are experiencing irregular loud noises. I am very sorry to hear your dinner did not meet your expectations. I will personaly verify all our procedures during our next meeting with the F&B department in order to guarantee the excelent service we are known for.
Thanks again for your comments and for giving us the oportunity to improve our services and facilities.

Marja Vargas