“Back to Basics”

Hotel y Hostel White Lion
Cagliari
“Back to Basics”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

First thing first: if you are travelling to Panama City, on a weekend, during high season (January to March), book yourself a hotel, hostel, or whatever and make sure you do read reviews before. This is what we did not do, and we are literally paying the price for wanting to be real backpackers. The city, and in particular Casco Viejo, is terribly busy, and we walked to at least 7 hostels before we eventually found lodging in this one. Calling it basics is an understatement: you will end up being grateful that, at least, you have a roof and a (sort of) bed. At 15 dollars a bed, it really is inexplicable how this hostel can be so expensive given the service. There are 3 toilets, 3 showers and 3 sinks for at least 25 people. It would almost seem ok, had it not been for the fact that NOBODY checks that they are cleaned. One toilet door is not working, one toilet is blocked, thus leaving only one to use. The sinks look like htey could use a good scrub too. Since we have arrived, the same dirty towel, tshirt, underpants, papers and all are laying there. I have asked several times to be given toilet paper, and ended up going to the store to buy my own. There is not ONE basket in the dorm, meaning that all trash is nicely thrown on the floor (where else). Personnel is grumpy, ignores who is a guest and who isn't, does not help out in any way. As we have left to go see the Canal, the top floor was completely floded. I have reported it twice before going, but, coming back hours later, the water is still there, and the guy at the reception laughingly says how "everyone has gone to the beach" leaving him to deal with a flood (something which, obviously, he has not done, and nobody will do). Breakfast may as well not be served - 2 slices of bread, 2 slices of processed cheese, and a banana. Just stay away, this place is totally not decent - all they want is money, no questions about service.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank taffani

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Hi All,

unfortunately we did not read the reviews of this place before booking online and we regret it till today. we have received a room with no windows, moldy smell and mattress that has no spring power to even hold one person.

Me and wife are experienced back packers and are not looking for a fancy place but this was the worst hostel-hotel we slept in our whole trip through out Colombia and Panama.

Do yourself a favor and go to the other street behind were the amazing super cool Luna Castle hostel is, we had an amazing time there. If you are not looking for a hostel search somewhere else but please do not go to this place as it is not a hotel and even not a hostel. the pictures by the way look way better than reality.

Cheers,

Ishay & Anne

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Ishay K

Travelers are raving about these Panama City hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I'm currently writing this review at 3.30am on a Wednesday morning as I'm wide awake due to people sitting around drinking and talking in the lobby area. Have not been able to sleep at all since coming to bed at 10.30pm. Our room is decent enough with tv, wifi, clean bathroom etc but it's on the bottom level and we have heard every single conversation that has gone on here tonight. Stay here if you want to hear about the drunk escapades of backpackers, don't stay here if you value your sleep!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank aimzl87
Sydney
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Loud!. There's a disco upstairs in this hotel. I didn't read the reviews before booking, and the manager only told me they have a 'party' until 2am after I paid for the room. The disco went until 7am. Luckily I was tired enough to sleep through most of it.
I didn't hang around for the breakfast, but other reviewers say it is toast and a slice of cheese, and I believe them. I am so glad that I didn't "upgrade" to another room when they said they had no rooms at the price I paid ($47), and they wanted $58. I would have had the same noisy room, but been $11 poorer for the same dump. Having said that, it was a basic room, with hot water, and if it wasn't for the noise it would have been okay. The WIFI would only work sometimes, and not for long. You may as well not have it.
The manager was helpful but slow, although I think she was just trying to be helpful thinking I didn't know enough Spanish to get around. Taking a taxi here is easy as they are almost everywhere. This street looks pretty dodgy, but the nearby areas are good.
I don't know if the "party" is only Friday and Saturdays, but I won't be back to find out.

Room Tip: Try another hotel if you can't sleep to a beat.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Djone289
MONT
Reviewed April 25, 2013

don't stay there! we had a room on the first floor; but there's a night club next to the hotel (we weren't told about that....) and it was like we were in...impossible to sleep at all; we had to leave in the middle of the night

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lurette a
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

I stayed there one night because lunas castle was fully booked. this is the only reason why you should stay there. because lunas castle is great and white lion is terrible.
its dirty, realy hot and the showers dont work properly... go somewhere else

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank lukeeeeee
San Jerónimo, Masaya, Nicaragua
Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

I got there on a Friday and was shown to my fourth floor room only to be told that the fifth floor is a discotheque on the weekends and there are no hostel rooms below the fourth floor. The theme of the night was "a tribute to skrillex" and it went until 4am. If I slept at all I had some pretty weird dreams

• Stayed March 2013