“It's 3.30am and still noisy!”

Hotel y Hostel White Lion
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Panama City
Hotel y Hostel White Lion
Melbourne, Australia
“It's 3.30am and still noisy!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

I'm currently writing this review at 3.30am on a Wednesday morning as I'm wide awake due to people sitting around drinking and talking in the lobby area. Have not been able to sleep at all since coming to bed at 10.30pm. Our room is decent enough with tv, wifi, clean bathroom etc but it's on the bottom level and we have heard every single conversation that has gone on here tonight. Stay here if you want to hear about the drunk escapades of backpackers, don't stay here if you value your sleep!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank aimzl87

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Sydney
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

Loud!. There's a disco upstairs in this hotel. I didn't read the reviews before booking, and the manager only told me they have a 'party' until 2am after I paid for the room. The disco went until 7am. Luckily I was tired enough to sleep through most of it.
I didn't hang around for the breakfast, but other reviewers say it is toast and a slice of cheese, and I believe them. I am so glad that I didn't "upgrade" to another room when they said they had no rooms at the price I paid ($47), and they wanted $58. I would have had the same noisy room, but been $11 poorer for the same dump. Having said that, it was a basic room, with hot water, and if it wasn't for the noise it would have been okay. The WIFI would only work sometimes, and not for long. You may as well not have it.
The manager was helpful but slow, although I think she was just trying to be helpful thinking I didn't know enough Spanish to get around. Taking a taxi here is easy as they are almost everywhere. This street looks pretty dodgy, but the nearby areas are good.
I don't know if the "party" is only Friday and Saturdays, but I won't be back to find out.

Room Tip: Try another hotel if you can't sleep to a beat.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Djone289

Travelers are raving about these Panama City hotels

MONT
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

don't stay there! we had a room on the first floor; but there's a night club next to the hotel (we weren't told about that....) and it was like we were in...impossible to sleep at all; we had to leave in the middle of the night

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lurette a
Zurich, Switzerland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

I stayed there one night because lunas castle was fully booked. this is the only reason why you should stay there. because lunas castle is great and white lion is terrible.
its dirty, realy hot and the showers dont work properly... go somewhere else

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank lukeeeeee
San Jerónimo, Masaya, Nicaragua
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

I got there on a Friday and was shown to my fourth floor room only to be told that the fifth floor is a discotheque on the weekends and there are no hostel rooms below the fourth floor. The theme of the night was "a tribute to skrillex" and it went until 4am. If I slept at all I had some pretty weird dreams

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Laurel H
Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

When we arrived in Panama City without a hostel reservation we ended up at White Lion because they were the only ones with free rooms.
The reception area was really nice and the rooms we were about to move in pretty expensive for our taste (55$ per room) so we thought this must be a nice place. But wait...
We were two couples and our friends got a pretty nice room but without windows. We ended up in a room for 4, but we slept in the double bed. The additional bunk bed didn't seem so stable. The room hadn't been cleaned yet (it was 8pm!) so we waited for a few minutes. All they did was change the sheets on the one bed we were about to use and take out the garbage. I had to clean the toilet seat because it had several suspicious stains on it (and they could be removed easily!).
They had also forgotten to give us towels. No problem, I thought, these things happen. So I went downstairs to the very nice receptionist and asked her. Unfortunately she works super slowly and we waited 30min for towels without success. So I went downstairs again to remind her because we wanted to take a shower badly... and a third time until finally a nice French guy gave me towels, toilet paper and soap.
We slept pretty well after the music from the bar next door stopped at 11:30ish, because you could hear everything through the cardboard walls. The only plus was that the bed was comfy and the room was air conditioned.
In the morning we could only have a cold shower, which is usually fine in such a hot climate but not in an air conditioned room. Well.. At least we were looking forward to the included "continental breakfast". It turned out to be two slices of toast plus one slice of cheese. If you asked for it they gave you an apple. The girl giving out breakfast was doing so very bored looking and every extra movement seemed to bother her.
The location of the hostel is okay. It is still in Casco Viejo I think but the street where it is located gets sketchy at night because of the neighboring bad areas. There were homeless people sleeping on the other side of the street and a lot of garbage was lying around and smelling.

All in all, the hostel is okay but service is lacking. If they work on that and all the easily changed things it could be a really nice place. But for now it's a disappointment and an expensive one. Maybe they just need a few years?

Room Tip: 206 looked nice (55$). 103 is cheaper (35$) and basically the same.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LolaTheMonkeyCat
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

I spent a night there. First a noticed that lights and fans didn't work in the dorm. Then when I climbed the ladder to go the the very average bed, the whole thing almost fell on me. The door didn't work properly, so every bit of wind, it would open and close.
That night there was like a party in there bar on the last floor and the music was so loud, I couldn't sleep, even with earplugs.
The next day I needed to do wash some clothes. They have a laundry service, but it's twice the price of every places I've been in Panama and they lost a piece and just did't care.
One last thing. Guys I met there booked a trip to San Blas with them. The hostel took care of the hotel over there, but forgot to book transportation. Nice.
So, I don't usually write bad critics, but please, White Lion hostel, try to improve a little bit, cause for the same price, we can go to really better places.

Room Tip: check if the fans work, cause it can get pretty hot in this city
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo